Introduction to the tachograph... WITH PICS

tobytyke:
I have a few tachos now, where do u guys normally save them ? do u take em to each job in case u get stopped etc…

You need to carry with you, while driving, all records from the current week and those from the 15 calendar days prior to the current week. For example that would currently be all charts from, and including, Monday of this week and those going back to, and including, the 28th October. After you no longer need to carry them with you they should be returned to the operator, or your agency if you work through one. They should be returned within 30 days of use.

tobytyke:
also is it ok for me to put a line at the start and finish etc like in the pic ROG put up ?

The lines and SDR/EDR or SOD/EOD are not requirements of the Tacho regulations and are a company thing. Some companies want the lines and some don’t so it is best to check what their policy is before writing, or drawing lines on the face of the chart.

Total mileage is optional unless company wants it.

note : this is correct - however, if this is calculated incorectly it consitutes an offence if the minestry`s holy oppinion!!

Which is why I never calculate my mileage. Can’t rely on my brain to work that out reliably at 2am! So i’ll just avoid an infringment and leave it to the computer.

dieseldave:
To insert a tachograph chart:
You open the face by turning the key (at the top of the first pic) to the left, which unlocks the face enabling you to open it:

There are 3 needles in the slot (between the head seals) which make marks called “traces” on the wax-covered disc called a “tachograph chart” that you can see the edge of in the second pic.
/quote]

Do you put the card in anyway regarding time ■■?

For instance if you start at 7am do you have to insert card with 7 resting on the needles - Also I put a tacho in one that looks like a cd player, it recorded the activity but not speed or distance what was that all about.

Thanks in advance

The Declaration:

For instance if you start at 7am do you have to insert card with 7 resting on the needles

If you notice on Rog’s and Dave’s pic, the centre of the disc has a hole that is of a certain shape that the disc will only fit one way (if you get me). Not round like a CD player. So if you place the hole on the tacho over the same shaped bit of plastic it rotates on, it will record the right time.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

New Blood

NewBlood:

The Declaration:

For instance if you start at 7am do you have to insert card with 7 resting on the needles

If you notice on Rog’s and Dave’s pic, the centre of the disc has a hole that is of a certain shape that the disc will only fit one way (if you get me). Not round like a CD player. So if you place the hole on the tacho over the same shaped bit of plastic it rotates on, it will record the right time.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

New Blood, great blog by the way

Doh! I forgot about that bit but thanks for clearing that up for me New Blood

Please note the broken top left edge of the casing on this Volvo FL Series .

The broken surround is normally caused by the tacho not bieng closed when someone drove off.

[/img]

ROG:
Can’t remember where I nicked this from but thought it worth posting on this thread

Rog; You posted that elsewhere recently.

When I knew I was going on my first solo run (the following day) I coppied it as an image, printed it and chucked it in my bag! Sounds daft but it really was a godsend! :laughing: I knew just what to write and where :slight_smile:

Well there’s my tip of the day :wink:

Front Of Digital Tacho Card Card Had to use Clarky’s Picture …Name and details removed of course.

Rear of Digital Tacho Card With Index List

Only one Previous Owner Not For Hire Or Reward

Hey Ken,

You realise that you have to pay me £105.00 + vat everytime this thread is viewed now that you using a copywrited photo of me? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On a serious note tho, with regards to filling out the centre field.

I got pulled in Hampshire a while ago, Vosa car. Nice guys, checked tachos all fine no problems. :wink: :wink:

I asked the question with regards to filling in centre field and was told that LEGALLY it MUST be SURNAME FIRST.

TOTAL MILEAGE OPTIONAL, NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED BUT IF YOU GET IT WRONG BY 1km, they can do you for it. His advice was NEVER FILL IT OUT!

And as for the broken casing on tacho, I seen someone rip one out by not closing it properly! and getting it caught in the steering wheel! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Clarky:
Hey Ken,

You realise that you have to pay me £105.00 + vat everytime this thread is viewed now that you using a copywrited photo of me? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheque is in the post :wink:

darkseeker:

ROG:
Can’t remember where I nicked this from but thought it worth posting on this thread

Rog; You posted that elsewhere recently.

When I knew I was going on my first solo run (the following day) I coppied it as an image, printed it and chucked it in my bag! Sounds daft but it really was a godsend! :laughing: I knew just what to write and where :slight_smile:

Well there’s my tip of the day :wink:

Glad you found it useful - I printed one off and laminated it for a training aid :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Clarky:
On a serious note tho, with regards to filling out the centre field.

I got pulled in Hampshire a while ago, Vosa car. Nice guys, checked tachos all fine no problems. :wink: :wink:

I asked the question with regards to filling in centre field and was told that LEGALLY it MUST be SURNAME FIRST.

TOTAL MILEAGE OPTIONAL, NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED BUT IF YOU GET IT WRONG BY 1km, they can do you for it. His advice was NEVER FILL IT OUT!

And as for the broken casing on tacho, I seen someone rip one out by not closing it properly! and getting it caught in the steering wheel! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No it’s not a legal requirement to put the surname first, but it is advised.

This was discussed in this thread.

Cheers Ken :wink: :wink: That will go towards paying for my parking at The Halfway House, Crick, Ta.

Tachograph, apologies for my mistake. I have always done it surname first in my case anyway.

I was looking for this yesterday, thanks to the poster who bumped it up. Should be made into a sticker for that first day out.

Can anyone answer this please !

I put a tacho in one that looks like a cd player, it recorded the activity but not speed or distance what was that all about ■■?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

The Declaration:
Can anyone answer this please !

I put a tacho in one that looks like a cd player, it recorded the activity but not speed or distance what was that all about ■■?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Most likely a faulty tachograph, but there is a chance that it could be a bad batch of charts, sometimes the charts are so thin it causes problems with the trace, you could try putting a chart under the one being used, though to be honest the only time I’ve had this problem it only recorded the speed trace and not the activity.

If the tachograph is faulty the vehicle should be defected.

The one chart below another might make a bit of sense, I only operated the vehicle one day and there was a blank chart already in machine unfortunately only our non english speakin european cousins were on hand to offer no advice :astonished: Agency work don’t you just love it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that anything to do with setting the chart in correctly. Doesn’t it have to go under the clear plastic at the back?

I seem to think I had a similar problem once.