Tacho question

Hi just wanted a bit of advice really, i and only work the odd day for the agency, passed my class 2 at the end off September 2006 which is no excuse I know, today I had 1 drop at Peterborough and 1 pickup from their to deliver to hull, I set off from Bradford at 6am, arrived at Peterborough at 8 30, checked the tacho no reading!! (I put it the wrong way round didn’t I?)
I inserted it the correct way and after my shift I filled in the back of the disc manually for my 2 .5 hrs driving and wrote on the comments box that the disc was inserted incorrectly at 6.00 and reinserted at 8.30 have I done this right? I asked a driver back at base and he said it was ok, but he would have just filled in a line for 2.5hrs driving on the front? I worried I might be wrong here!
:open_mouth: :unamused:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the “I inserted it the wrong way round” one eh? :wink: :smiley:

I believe you have done the right thing. If you had put a line on the front I am fairly sure you would have received an infringement for defacing the chart.

I clean forgot to put one in til I got to my first drop the other day. :blush:

I work for a firm that never even look at the tachos though, let alone have them analysed. I guess the Police or Vosa would have been hard work though if I’d been pulled.

Forgetting things and making mistakes is human nature, I wouldn’t worry too much and I think you did more than enough to clarify your mistake.

as long as you explain it on the back there should be no problem(providing the rest of your hours were worked correctly)

To write anything other than what is required on the front centre face of a tacho,is an offence.

Other information,including what you described,is written on the reverse of the chart.

Ken.

Thanks for the replies,do people fiddle the tachos? :cry: :smiley: to be honest im too thick to know lol thanks anyway :smiley:

Quinny:
To write anything other than what is required on the front centre face of a tacho,is an offence.

Other information,including what you described,is written on the reverse of the chart.

Ken.

reality require you draw a line at start and finish and write end daily/weekly rest and start daily /weekly rest so the analisys can work it out, vosa/dti don’t seem to have a problem with this as every tacho is done

gezt:
reality require you draw a line at start and finish and write end daily/weekly rest and start daily /weekly rest so the analisys can work it out, vosa/dti don’t seem to have a problem with this as every tacho is done

it was “allowed” in the UK under the current tacho rules (3820/85) mainly due to UK interpretation of the rules, it has always been an offence in Europe.

From April 11th, when the new rules start, It will be an offence here as well!

always told not to write anything on face of card so have avoided wherever possible. Did a driving asessment for DHL the other day, and whilst going through the written tests was told they insist on lines being drawn. I know in Europe is a big no no, and UK has always ‘allowed’ it. However, just received an update sheet regarding all the drivers hours changes to be implemented in April this year and Jan next, and there is no mention of not being alowed to draw lines. Where did you see this? I have always wanted to see it in writing we are not allowed to do this. In my last job, fell foul several times of tacho analysis machines as my start finish lines were too far away from actual tacho trace, and machine reads lines as literally start of daily duty, I was adding about 20 minutes onto each day!! :blush:

Denis F said;

it was “allowed” in the UK under the current tacho rules (3820/85) mainly due to UK interpretation of the rules, it has always been an offence in Europe.

From April 11th, when the new rules start, It will be an offence here as well!

Sorry Denis, that isn’t the case. EC 3820/85 is the Regulation governing drivers hours, which journeys are exempt and a little bit about minimum ages of drivers for certain classes of vehicles. The ‘new’ Regulation 561/2006 which replaces 3820/85 on the 11th April 2007 covers the same areas. It does modify EC 3821/85, the Regulation governing what Recording Equipment (proper name for a tacho) is and Records Sheets (proper name for charts) and how to use both. However, 3821/85 doesn’t make specific reference to writing on the front of charts other than to the centrefield details that must be filled in and that entries must be legible and shouldn’t obliterate marking made by the Recording Equipment. Many Member States have domestic legislation that forbids writing anything other than the mandatory information upon the face of the chart. Department for Transport advice is that whilst it is accepted practise in the UK, it may well be an offence in other countries and the best place for other information may well be the reverse of the chart

slackeye:
do people fiddle the tachos? :cry: :smiley: to be honest im too thick to know lol thanks anyway :smiley:

Nobody ever fiddles tachos and they never have. :laughing:

P.S. You did the right thing, but try not to make a habit of it as the VOSA men might start asking questions.

if you have to break the law make sure its recorded on your tacho thats 1 less offence to be done for when caught and your boss will know how much extra to pay you :frowning:

hitch:
if you have to break the law make sure its recorded on your tacho thats 1 less offence to be done for when caught and your boss will know how much extra to pay you :frowning:

And of course “fiddling a tacho” is an offence in itself. Get caught doing that and the charge is something like fraudulent entries on an official document. That carries a higher penalty than the, shall we say “dodgy behaviour”?, you might be trying to fiddle the tacho to hide in the first place.

geebee45:
Many Member States have domestic legislation that forbids writing anything other than the mandatory information upon the face of the chart. Department for Transport advice is that whilst it is accepted practise in the UK, it may well be an offence in other countries and the best place for other information may well be the reverse of the chart

Ok, I thought I read it somewhere it was changing :blush: :blush: :blush: