Splitter boxes and training

after taking my class two training back in january, i came accross a vehicle in my fleet last week that has a splitter box, a four over four scania 18t

my training for class two saw me take charge of a iveco 11t, and since then i have only driven a merc atego 1323, until i had to pick up the scannie from a customer, and take it back to our yard.

the fun i had trying to get the thing into gear, in order to pull away from the lights was quite frustrating, and it begs the question… why do we not get trained to use these boxes if they appear in the range that we are to be driving?

it never crossed my mind to ask the driving school about it when they trained me, but surely if you are allowed to drive these type of vehicle, then it should be in the training… which leads me onto a second question… does the class one training and test involve use of a splitter??

Mine touched upon it briefly, but I was told not to bother with it because I wouldn’t be going over 40 and it was a range changer not a splitter.

My training was the usual - only taught the bare minimum to pass the test. It’s a miracle I even passed. The instructor was sacked shortly after I finished my training cos he was no use. :unamused:

Lost pup is right you came across a range change, a splitter is even more fun.
HGV schools get trade through there pass rate so it is common to stretch a 7.5 tonner and simplify the driving experience. In my limited experience class 1 training is commonly done in a small volvo with a 4 over 4 so you will recieve training but it is impossible to teach a newbie how to pass a test and how to cope with every configuration of gear box that is available on the market, there are so many. Have you got somebody to run through it with you, if not as you know just give us a shout.

My biggest problem going from a class 2 Scanny to a class 1 Scanny was that on the rigid the range change was on the side of the gearlever BUT they have turned that into a splitter & put the range change on a up & down collar at the bottom of the gear lever. So I had many a chunter too myself when I stalled the dam thing :blush: , now I still do it but not as much.

Ladytrucker is right it would be difficult to train a driver on everybox and if you did most of it would go in one ear and out the other because it wouldn’t make much sense unless you were in the truck and could see how it worked.

Basically with manual boxes you normally have one of 2 types of range change. Slap across (I’ve found them in Renaults and Ivecos, although I think the newer ones are switches) and a switch (Most others makes).
The Slap across is easy you go up the box and when you can’t go up any further you push the stick to your right and that puts it into high range the opposite to go down the box. The switch is obvious just swicth it to the high or low range position before selecting the gear. The only thing I’ve found is forgetting which range I’m in and trying to pull away in high range or having to much speed for low range. :blush:
As for spiltter they just give you an extra gear so if you want to change down for a hill but don’t need a whole gear then you’d select spect the splitter. Not really needed unless you are pulling a bit of weight or on steep hills.
Then of course there are Eaton Twin splitters, but you’d be unlucky to get one now, great if you have the time to master the box though.
Then there are all the auto and semi auto boxes now being used. but the only one I’ve driven is a Mecerdes Actros on test so can’t help you much.

As ladytrucker said ask one of the other drivers. I use to deliver rental units & it only take a second or two standing on the steps to get someone “type trained” on a new gearbox.
In most units a Little gearbox symbol comes up on the dash to tell you that you have split the gear, but don’t forget its pre selected, that is throw the switch & then press the clutch, its the same on a range change switch, which may account for your pulling away problem.

Ladytrucker679:
Lost pup is right you came across a range change, a splitter is even more fun.
HGV schools get trade through there pass rate so it is common to stretch a 7.5 tonner and simplify the driving experience. In my limited experience class 1 training is commonly done in a small volvo with a 4 over 4 so you will recieve training but it is impossible to teach a newbie how to pass a test and how to cope with every configuration of gear box that is available on the market, there are so many. Have you got somebody to run through it with you, if not as you know just give us a shout.

Took my class 1 in one of those lovely Premium 6x2 with a 4 over 4 box (& a 45’ triaxle flat)
You are quite right though, most training places make it as easy as possible.
(took my class 2 in a Leyland Freighter 11/14…doesnt get much easier) :blush:

so thats a range changer… ok i am still on the learning curve…

yesterday i managed to get back from peterborough in a volvo FH12 ok with a 4 over 4 box, i was instructed by a friend to pull away in 3rd, and range change up into 5th and run from there. it seemed pretty easy, once i got into the groove of things, and by the time i hit North London, the confidence was good, and i flowed through.

wonder how different it will be with weight on the back… !!

Just the same, but start in 2 and use more of the intermediate gears :open_mouth: , Minimerc. Should be no problem for a man of your (mounting) experience :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Simon:
Just the same, but start in 2 and use more of the intermediate gears :open_mouth: , Minimerc. Should be no problem for a man of your (mounting) experience :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Time to get into an old ERF or Foden & learn to use a real gearbox :wink:

He’ll need a lot more experience before he’s let loose on an Eaton Range Master, let alone a twin-splitter :laughing: :laughing: , or the fuller road ranger :laughing: :laughing: .

Think of the posts, How The (ZB) Do You Drive One of These :question:
HELP :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Simon:
He’ll need a lot more experience before he’s let loose on an Eaton Range Master, let alone a twin-splitter :laughing: :laughing: , or the fuller road ranger :laughing: :laughing: .

Think of the posts, How The (ZB) Do You Drive One of These :question:
HELP :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

My first real truck was an ERF EC10 with a twin splitter, I have never been bothered by gearboxes since. :sunglasses:

Minimerc:
so thats a range changer… ok i am still on the learning curve…

yesterday i managed to get back from peterborough in a volvo FH12 ok with a 4 over 4 box, i was instructed by a friend to pull away in 3rd, and range change up into 5th and run from there. it seemed pretty easy, once i got into the groove of things, and by the time i hit North London, the confidence was good, and i flowed through.

wonder how different it will be with weight on the back… !!

That’s the exact same box I’ve got in my FH12 at the moment :angry: Don’t forget mine’s wired up to a dinky 380 engine which has done 1,100,000 kms now :open_mouth: so doesn’t pull so well and shove 25 tonne of bananas in the back and then try to pull up the hill at the bottom of the M11 with the M25 at more than 25mph and you’re doing well :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Can’t wait for this new motor with 460 gee-gee’s and my splits back :confused:

then try to pull up the hill at the bottom of the M11 with the M25 at more than 25mph and you’re doing well :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

yep know it well… my car struggles to the top in 5th!! anything gets in my way and i have to drop to fourth!!

I worked for a bloke once who got me an Iveco 220-36 to replace my Sudden Accident Stratos.

When we went to pick it up he told me not to use the red button on the gearstick because I would wear it out! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Having been in a similar type of jobs minimerc it has to be said even empty, its the weight & not the length you notice.
When running solo have you been warned about damp roads ?, they are like skid pans, with no weight on the rear axle & all those horses wheel spin & tail end slides are all part of the fun.
Also where possible lift an axle.

Hi , I’m new to Trucknet. I read this topic and thought I’d chip in with my own experience. I passed my class 1 test 13 years ago in a Renault. which had a 5 speed synchro box and was easier to change gear than a lot of cars! The next day my first job was to drive a B regd ERF with some kind of horendeous Eaton gearbox from Scunthorpe to Immingham - if I say it took 2 hours and there was hardly any traffic you can imagine what it was like. My boss said he could still hear me crunching it 20 minutes after I’d left the yard!! By comparison I love modern trucks.

Tiny

First time I drove with an eaton twin splitter someone said ever driven one ?, no, then this is how you use one. The result of which was I failed to see how some people had so many problems with them, I drove it again a few weeks later &…well lets just say it had more crunch than a friday.
It took a few drives but once I had realised you can’t rush an eaton, it does everything in its own sweet time it all fell into place.

.First time I came across a splitter, the conversation went something like this. Me:“What’s the ■■■■’s this then?” Indicating the button for the splitter.

His Ex Nibs:“It’s a splitter mate. It gives you 2 extra half gears.”

Me:“You what?” :laughing:

Him:“Look. 3rd gear. With button up 3rd high. With button down after dipped clutch third low.”

Me:“Bugger me I bet that plays a decent tune - how many gearboxes have you had fitted to this thing?” :smiley: :laughing:

Him: “None, why.”

Me: “You might be wanting one on it tomorrow - I should clear the fitters schedule.”

True I did crunch it for the first hour or so and even stopped in the middle of a roundabout whilst figuring out how to get it back in gear :unamused: . But now if I have a fair bit of weight on I love 'em. If I don’t, I just don’t use 'em, they just get in the way.

To answer your first question, it’s not a requirement of the test so they’re not obliged to use it.

To answer your second question, it’s not a part of the test so they’re not obliged to use it. It’s like running with weight on. I think you should do the test with a fully laden vehicle (I expect you know it’s a totally different animal with weight on - scared the ruddy hell out of me the first time I went out in a fully laden artic). But then hey, what do I know - I from Barcelona, I know nothing.

The vehicle I did my HGV training in, if I remember the conversation correctly, had been fitted with both a splitter & an exhaust brake, but these had been blanked as if they are fitted they have to be used, thus giving those required to use them more potential for a fault & thus a test fail.