Spitter range changer gears law

Hi :slight_smile:
Are splitter and range changers being made compulsory.

I dont understand them 2 be honest :slight_smile:

LE X

edward:
Hi :slight_smile:
Are splitter and range changers being made compulsory.

No, why would they be?

I think Iā€™ve read somewhere that in not so distant future EU regs would require ā€œtraining truckā€ to have at least eight forward gears but practically it makes only range change compulsory on those trucks.

Yes, vehicles first used after 1/10/03 require at least 8 forward gears for the UK C/CE test.

I see now, it was in relation to the test as opposed to a general rule. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Coffeeholic:
I see now, it was in relation to the test as opposed to a general rule. :blush: :blush: :blush:

An easy mistake Neil, when you read the original question.

Welcome to Trucknet, Edward, for what its worth I think all training vehicles should have range and split boxes.

or better still, Eaton twins :imp: :laughing: :laughing:

better still, Eaton twins

Ouch! :smiley: :smiley: :smiling_imp:

Hiya :slight_smile:

what are splitter gears for

LE X

Kyrbo:
I think Iā€™ve read somewhere that in not so distant future EU regs would require ā€œtraining truckā€ to have at least eight forward gears but practically it makes only range change compulsory on those trucks.

Except that the DSA are now waking up to the fact that the Truck industry, with modern engines, no longer fits anything other than a 6 speed to an 18 tonner, except for a small few specified for drawbar use.

Which means that whilst the industry wants new drivers to be trained in up to date vehicles, the only vehicles acceptable to the DSA will be older vehicles. The rule changes were drawn up some years and have not kept pace with engineering improvements.

Iā€™ve even driven a 6 speed artic. I didnā€™t look to see what it was plated at. Obviously not 44tonnes, but they are about.

Hiya

LE X

I guess the number of gears also relates to the power curve of the engine.

I mean the 7.5t Iveco (dont laugh) i had this week, on one particular hill it was screaming itā€™s nuts off in 3rd, but chugging and not far off a stall in 4th. I guess if you had a bigger engine you could space the ratios out more like this, but smaller engines need closer gears. So if you were a manufacturer and came up with a very torquey engine you could get away with a 6 speed artic?

This is where a splitter comes in, it lets you have another gear between gears, so in my case if iā€™d had a 3 1/2 it would have been perfect.

Esentially a splitter and a range changer are the same thing technically speaking. They allow you to have a H pattern gearshift with 2 or 4 different ranges giving you up 16 gears. As on a truck you wont always need to use ā€˜everyā€™ gear as you would in most cars, you only need to use half the gears most of the time, so the splitter gears arent used as much.

The Actros we have with the Teligent box, has 16 gears with no splitter or range change, but being an electronic shift you can jump several gears at once.
[/quote]

edward:

LE X

They are so you donā€™t need a 10foot long arm to reach the bottom gears :open_mouth: :smiley: .

The wagon I drive has got 16 forward gears and 4 reverse.

Its got a range change and a splitter. Without them the cab would have to be a lot wider, to allow for the travel on the gear stick.

Here is a link to the bit in our Driving FAQ section which explains Splitters and Range Changes.

Simon:

edward:

LE X

They are so you donā€™t need a 10foot long arm to reach the bottom gears :open_mouth: :smiley: .

The wagon I drive has got 16 forward gears and 4 reverse.

Its got a range change and a splitter. Without them the cab would have to be a lot wider, to allow for the travel on the gear stick.

One thing I didnā€™t see in link you posted is that itā€™s also much easier to design and manufacture gearbox to withstand big amounts torque if number of gears is reasonably low. 16 gear gearbox with same durability than your current four gear gearbox would probably be connected directly to drive axle :open_mouth: :smiley:

Itā€™s all change anyway - when I took my test you still had to double de-clutch, even though new boxes were syncromesh. Now, with new units Iā€™m driving auto boxes are becoming far more common & Iā€™ll bet you, in a few yearā€™s time, manual boxes will have disappeared.