Splitter or range change

Having instructed on splitter and range change gear boxes, I am interested to know what people find easiest to adapt to. (instructors and novice drivers)

I Have a Mercedes Atego 6 speed splitter which I found students find easiest to master. I teach to split only in 5th and 6th gear as the vehicle is unladen. Also set off in 3rd

Any views anyone.

Elmet Driver Training.

ps Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I would say that the straight 6 with splitter is easier BUT there can be knock-on effects -

If doing above on C then going to C+E where there is more likelyhood of the box being a range change, the trainee then has to learn a different type of vehicle AND a different type of gearbox which makes things more difficult.

Another problem which has been highlighted by a local company that does assessments to determine whether a driver is suitable for them (newbie or experienced) is this - they have range changes on all their trucks and have found that those taught only on straight 6 with splitters, and never driven a range change, struggle so much with the range change that they fail the assessment :exclamation:

Those taught on range change can cope with straight 6 splitters easily but not the other way around IMO and experience.

For those interested, there is a post on gearboxes (with pics) via the link to the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread in my signature below :slight_smile:

I learnt in a Scania 94D with a range change (4 over 4) and to be honest i found it quite tricky, i was taught to use 3rd upwards.

I found it bloody annoying when coming to a stop if I had forgotten to range change down again before trying to move off in 7th or 8th :smiley: , or getting false neutral half way round a roundabout, didn’t like that box at all.

My roadtrain has a spicer 10 speed splitter (crash gearbox too) and I find that easier, am I weird !! :neutral_face:

From time to time I do some self employed driving for Stobarts and Sainsburys in Sherburn in Elmet(like to keep my hand in)

I have found that the majority of vehicles are now automatic.

Very strange when you first jump in the cab and look for the gear stick, and find its a dial you turn to select forward or reverse)

Have yet to come across a splitter or range change at the respective companies.

Just shows where modern vehicles are going.

Easy to drive though

Elmet Driver Training

elmet training:
Just shows where modern vehicles are going.

20 years time - no manuals - possibility…

i personally dont care, its all the same to me, range change isnt that hard ot master either.

both

gogzy:
i personally dont care, its all the same to me, range change isnt that hard ot master either.

I have to agree, I learnt on a 4 0ver 4 for me c and 4 over 4 with a diff spliter aswell for my c+e.

The only 8 speed I have driven since (all the others are a stright speed) was a 4 next to 4. I learnt it with in 100 yards :slight_smile:.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys:

gogzy:

I have to agree, I learnt on a 4 0ver 4 for me c and 4 over 4 with a diff spliter aswell for my c+e.

The only 8 speed I have driven since (all the others are a stright speed) was a 4 next to 4. I learnt it with in 100 yards :slight_smile:.

Paul

id rather be sent out in an eaton 12 speed than an automatic though

gogzy:

Now your talkin Loved that on the old ERF we had at the Postoffice

nick2008:

gogzy:

Now your talkin Loved that on the old ERF we had at the Postoffice

i had one in an old foden i used to drive, nobody showed me how to work it or anything so yea first 5 mins were a bit…fun lol, but once i got going i loved it, then they tried to give me a new daf cf auto, and i always wanted the foden even tho it wasnt int he best condition and inside wasnt the best kept interior either i still wanted it over a brand new truck just because of the gearbox lol.

This thread is starting to drift a bit so i’ll ask a question -

As a NEWBIE who has not long passed a test and been trained in a straight 6 with splitter would it be easy to adapt to a range change (or slapover) if presented with such on their first job :question:

I think it would be easier to adapt from slapover to range change or vice-cersa as they work on the same principal but I stand to be corrected…

ROG:
This thread is starting to drift a bit so i’ll ask a question -

As a NEWBIE who has not long passed a test and been trained in a straight 6 with splitter would it be easy to adapt to a range change (or slapover) if presented with such on their first job :question:

I think it would be easier to adapt from slapover to range change or vice-cersa as they work on the same principal but I stand to be corrected…

tbh it shouldnt make a difference, if they dont know what they are doing all they have to do is ask and within 5 mins they should know what they are doing, its all part and parcel of being a truck driver

gogzy:
if they dont know what they are doing all they have to do is ask and within 5 mins they should know what they are doing,

Interesting viewpoint BUT it can sometimes take 2 to 3 days when training a newbie for them to get to know the gearbox - yes, I realise that they are trying to learn other things as well, but given that the range-change or slap-over gearbox gives them the most problems then 5 mins might be be very optomistic !!!

The old saying is that you learn to drive after you pass your test.

This is so true considering your test is carried out in a unladen vehicle, Reality really hits home on the first day off your new career when you have no one saying at the end of the road turn left etc.

The main priority is to get that test passed, then get your experience

So my point is to use the easiest gear box possible which is the six seed splitter to take your test.

Believe me alot easier than range change .

Elmet Driver Training

In response to that -
There is enough to learn on your first day in your first LGV driving job without the added problem of learning a totally new type of gearbox which is harder than the easy one you learnt in.

That is why the DSA/DFT made the new ruling about the minimum amount of forward gear ratios

In respect Rog companies should have a induction day or even better induction week.

I currently do this for a company close to me that take on agency staff. I asess there driving ability SHOWING THEM THE GEARBOX, show them how to safely secure the load, explain the delivery notes, ppe, company code of conduct, H&S issues etc,

This makes the job alot easier and safer for the drivers.

Elmet Driver Training

I would guess that for a new driver,a range change would be the worst to quickly naturally adapt to because all your instincts would tell you that going from 4th to ‘1st’,even after operating a collar or toggle or whatever is a big no-no.Only my opinion FWIW :slight_smile:

elmet training:
In respect Rog companies should have a induction day or even better induction week.

That would be nice but in the real world most newbies on agency just get told to get there and get on with it.
They may get a quick basic induction but nothing like a bit of proper on-road training on the gearbox

Interesting post. To put the cat amongst the pigeons I would like to say from a newbies point of view I find slapovers a lot more natural. The only drawback over a range change is that it takes slightly longer to change up from 4th to 5th or 6th because you cannot pre-select the higher range before hand. Mind you Scania boxes dont like to be rushed and changing up from 4th quickly usually results in a false neutral anyway, not an issue with Volvo boxes I have found. Personally I think the minimum vehicle requirements for class 1 test should be a splitter box with either a range change or slapover. Class 2 training vehicles should only need 8 gears still but not with a splitter, they are too uncommon in real life class 2 driving.