Scania 12- or 16-speed gearboxes

Hi guys,

I’ve got my first class 1 job tomorrow, it’s out of west London doing a run to somewhere south of Birmingham and back (so, mainly motorway driving). The company’s large trucks are, as far as I’ve observed, mostly Scanias, and if it’s a manual (not sure if is or not) then this’ll be the first time I’ve driven something with more than 8 gears. How do I use a gearbox with both a range change and a splitter? Or rather, when and how do I use the splitter, since I’m familiar with the range change.

IndigoJo:
Hi guys,

I’ve got my first class 1 job tomorrow, it’s out of west London doing a run to somewhere south of Birmingham and back (so, mainly motorway driving). The company’s large trucks are, as far as I’ve observed, mostly Scanias, and if it’s a manual (not sure if is or not) then this’ll be the first time I’ve driven something with more than 8 gears. How do I use a gearbox with both a range change and a splitter? Or rather, when and how do I use the splitter, since I’m familiar with the range change.

Easy way is to google it,plenty of videos of every gearbox ever made. :wink:

The job’s off now anyway (regular driver decided he was well enough after calling in sick twice, I think). Will probably wait until after next Saturday in Peterborough to take any artic jobs.

They’re a lot easier to use than a lot of drivers would have you think. You just go up the box in low range using lo/hi through each gear, block changing where you can, get to 4th hi then flick into hi range & repeat the process.