Artic Gears

Hi All

I trained on a Class C With 4 Over 4 splitter , Soon I Begin training for C & E and I just want to know what gear box is generally used in a Tractor Unit

Any One advise

Swampey:
Hi All

I trained on a Class C With 4 Over 4 splitter , Soon I Begin training for C & E and I just want to know what gear box is generally used in a Tractor Unit

Any One advise

Hi Swampey, I think you might find that the Cat “C” vehicle had a “range change” rather than a splitter. Did you use gears 1-4 then operate a switch to get gears 5-8■■
If you did, it was a range change. To be sure, have a look at pics 2, 3 and 4 in CLICK THIS POST
Please feel free to add a comment to that post, if you find it helpful. :wink:

A splitter is usually a different (additional) switch, which gives you two gears per shift of the stick.
Therefore 16 gears in total, but still only 8 “slots.”
C+E training school vehicles might have both switches, or might have a gearbox like the one you found in the Cat “C” truck.

Once you’re qualified, you’ll find that there are several quite different types of gearboxes fitted to modern Artics.
I hope this helps. :smiley:

edited due to being a silly random statement :laughing:

beattun:
dont a lot of schools run volvos now?

Bit of a random statement there!

I don’t think any one type of vehicle can be tied down as a “training” vehicle.
The schools around my area run:
DAF
IVECO
MAN
Mercedes

Never seen a Volvo trainer round my neck of the woods, must be luck of the draw in your area mate.

Alex

ok ill come clean and say that was just a complete guess, dont even know what i based my guess on seeing as im in australia

so id better retract above statement lol :unamused:

also you say mercedes, can you even get a manual merc anymore?

seems a bit mad to be training drivers just on semi autos

I think you will find almost every driving school artic will use a vehicle with the above mentioned range change with 8 gears, even if it does happen to be fitted with a splitter you won’t be required to use it on test.

Most of the recycled u-boats in our area seem to atego or actros with a slap over gearbox, If you can, find a company that uses DAF or Volvo vehicles because they are slightly easier to get the hang of.

Best advice is to try a few assessments at different companies and see which you fancy most. Artic or Drawbar the choice is yours but I know I would rather learn in proper artic to get more lifelong knowledge and skill in place before starting work.

We have a Volvo V reg F12 380 and it is a dream to drive :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It’s more comfy than my sofa - except the middle seat - but I don’t sit in that one cos I’m too tall :exclamation:

beattun:

I’m not sure about the rest of the country beattun, but the Volvo FL10 320hp is a popular training school truck in my area.
The FL10 gearbox is the C+E example of the 4 over 4 shift pattern in the pics in my post on 8-speed gearboxes.
I chose that because of its popularity with training schools, hoping that it would help as many trainees as possible.

dieseldave:

beattun:

I’m not sure about the rest of the country beattun, but the Volvo FL10 320hp is a popular training school truck in my area.
The FL10 gearbox is the C+E example of the 4 over 4 shift pattern in the pics in my post on 8-speed gearboxes.
I chose that because of its popularity with training schools, hoping that it would help as many trainees as possible.

i think thats why i just assumed itd be standard for training in