When to use POA?

Noremac:
Thanks for that information jessejazza.

I will need to read up on what this means going forward, but I certainly didn’t know these new tachographs were already mandatory on new trucks. Presumably it will take quite a few years before a majority of trucks have them fitted.

From first look it seems the new tachograph has to have a local wifi type system for the authorities to download in the close vicinity. It also looks like there is a GPS type facility to record locations. I think Tachograph is right that the authorities wouldn’t know about drivers hours infringements as this data would not be sent.

I believe that adding the ability for company downloads is a straightforward addition, which could in fact be through a device such as a tablet or smartphone, along with other information as you say about the condition of the vehicle, defects etc.

I take back my comment about being able to watch all day. Potentially it may be possible to dynamically see infringements as they happen if the company decides to invest in that sort of software. Whether the driver has to agree to this would probably be between the driver and company though.

Well I can only say what the Volvo guy told me. I certainly had my tacho read wirelessly/somehow whilst working for B&Q (through a logistics firm) in early 2017. It was a small aerial on the door no more than 1/2 ins high.

Must go to bed as I am off for another 5 days tramping - this time in Scania… I’ll see what that’s got!