POA or other work

When is best to use poa and what is the purpose of it and when to use other work? Tried to find an answer but i cant see anywhere !!!

Never use it, no need - probably some here do but it isn’t always necessary.

POA and other work are completely different, POA is basically when you’re waiting, other work is when you’re working.

If your company pay for breaks or breaks other than the first one use break instead of POA.

A digital tachograph will wrongly count POA as break, so 45 minutes of POA will reset the driving time on the tachograph but the driving time is not reset legally.

No dont think anybody uses poa. Other work cross hammers you use when loading unloading. When stop SOME automaticly change to other work :smiley:

There are a couple of times when POA is useful:

1. When waiting, if you are hourly paid and your company does not pay for breaks. Legally, the duration of the wait must be known in advance.

2. When double manned and sat in the passenger seat. Your tacho will automatically select POA, but the first 45 mins can be counted as a break providing you are actually resting and not assisting the driver e.g. Map reading.

I’ve been using Break for the last 2 years, but last week i was told to use POA as they will ‘Rob’ me if I use too much Break !
Fair enough, but if I’m on Tosco’s Bay for 4 hours on POA, I’m going to pull outside & take my legal 45 min break before carrying on to my next drop/collection. They want to play Silly Games-so I’ll play along with it.

martinviking:
I’ve been using Break for the last 2 years, but last week i was told to use POA as they will ‘Rob’ me if I use too much Break !
Fair enough, but if I’m on Tosco’s Bay for 4 hours on POA, I’m going to pull outside & take my legal 45 min break before carrying on to my next drop/collection. They want to play Silly Games-so I’ll play along with it.

unless you are up on driving time when you got on the bay, why would you need to pull outside and take a 45?

if I was that close on time I would just leave it on break and if possible set it back to poa after taking the break.
I know that is not always possible.

The other option would be to do 2 printouts when you get back into the truck and do a manual entry on the back showing the correct mode with an explanation why you couldn’t change mode.
i.e “no access to vehicle”, that way you are complying to your company requests and not taking the ■■■■ out of the people paying you