When to use POA?

I can confirm that POA is alive and well.

I don’t have much doubt that a device can be connected to one of the approved digital tachograph units for downloading purposes. Of course this would need to be done by an approved method. It is still the same tachograph unit though. The digital download presumably via a mobile network would mean that of course a vehicle would not need to return to base and it may also automate the download procedure for a large fleet. Possibly even driver card info could be passed over the network.

I do not think these download devices are put in place so the office can watch all day. This is a nonsense. Periodic downloads would be done, it is just a different method of getting the information.

Regarding POA in slot 2, you can choose the mode except when the vehicle is moving. This isn’t really something that is a matter of opinion, it is just a fact.

Noremac:

I don’t have much doubt that a device can be connected to one of the approved digital tachograph units for downloading purposes. Of course this would need to be done by an approved method. It is still the same tachograph unit though. The digital download presumably via a mobile network would mean that of course a vehicle would not need to return to base and it may also automate the download procedure for a large fleet. Possibly even driver card info could be passed over the network.

I do not think these download devices are put in place so the office can watch all day. This is a nonsense. Periodic downloads would be done, it is just a different method of getting the information.

Regarding POA in slot 2, you can choose the mode except when the vehicle is moving. This isn’t really something that is a matter of opinion, it is just a fact.

I didn’t mean that literally… they can watch you on the tracker. But iirc could do and I’m sure the download was daily as one would expect.

Noremac:

The aerial is on all trucks over the last few years. Some call it the Telematics I believe. I found myself with a flat battery on Tue and needed call out. The Volvo recovery guy said that they can get into the complete control system of the truck and diagnose all before arriving… also the tacho. This aerial is taller than most. Recovery said the DVSA will soon have software to read tachos so won’t even bother stopping drivers later this year.

IMG_20200109_100817.jpg

jessejazza:
Recovery said the DVSA will soon have software to read tachos so won’t even bother stopping drivers later this year.

With the current generation of smart tachographs the DVSA will have the ability to wirelessly check certain things but not to analyse your driver card.

Off hand I can’t remember the exact data that can be checked but it’s not drivers hours, it’s basically the last location fix, error sensors that suggest the tachograph has been tampered with, the speed recorded by the tachograph and stuff like that.

I have read that the DVSA do not intend to update their software to do these wireless checks for a few years but I don’t know if that’s correct or not.

Thanks for that information jessejazza.

I will need to read up on what this means going forward, but I certainly didn’t know these new tachographs were already mandatory on new trucks. Presumably it will take quite a few years before a majority of trucks have them fitted.

From first look it seems the new tachograph has to have a local wifi type system for the authorities to download in the close vicinity. It also looks like there is a GPS type facility to record locations. I think Tachograph is right that the authorities wouldn’t know about drivers hours infringements as this data would not be sent.

I believe that adding the ability for company downloads is a straightforward addition, which could in fact be through a device such as a tablet or smartphone, along with other information as you say about the condition of the vehicle, defects etc.

I take back my comment about being able to watch all day. Potentially it may be possible to dynamically see infringements as they happen if the company decides to invest in that sort of software. Whether the driver has to agree to this would probably be between the driver and company though.

Noremac:
Thanks for that information jessejazza.

I will need to read up on what this means going forward, but I certainly didn’t know these new tachographs were already mandatory on new trucks. Presumably it will take quite a few years before a majority of trucks have them fitted.

From first look it seems the new tachograph has to have a local wifi type system for the authorities to download in the close vicinity. It also looks like there is a GPS type facility to record locations. I think Tachograph is right that the authorities wouldn’t know about drivers hours infringements as this data would not be sent.

I believe that adding the ability for company downloads is a straightforward addition, which could in fact be through a device such as a tablet or smartphone, along with other information as you say about the condition of the vehicle, defects etc.

I take back my comment about being able to watch all day. Potentially it may be possible to dynamically see infringements as they happen if the company decides to invest in that sort of software. Whether the driver has to agree to this would probably be between the driver and company though.

Well I can only say what the Volvo guy told me. I certainly had my tacho read wirelessly/somehow whilst working for B&Q (through a logistics firm) in early 2017. It was a small aerial on the door no more than 1/2 ins high.

Must go to bed as I am off for another 5 days tramping - this time in Scania… I’ll see what that’s got!