p.o.a advice

hi all,
im struggling to find a answer to my question regarding period of availability.

question… if i use poa does the time spent on poa get deducted from the 6 hr time directive or drive time .basically if i arrive at work and clock in at 5am but my vehicle is not loaded till 8am. normally i would insert my driver card in when loaded,15mins on other work for vehicle checks then carry on as normal,but now ive been told by my company that my tacho hours must be the same as my clocking in and out times and poa must be used for this.is this correct and will it affect anything

many thanks

foza1974:
hi all,
im struggling to find a answer to my question regarding period of availability.

question… if i use poa does the time spent on poa get deducted from the 6 hr time directive or drive time .basically if i arrive at work and clock in at 5am but my vehicle is not loaded till 8am. normally i would insert my driver card in when loaded,15mins on other work for vehicle checks then carry on as normal,but now ive been told by my company that my tacho hours must be the same as my clocking in and out times and poa must be used for this.is this correct and will it affect anything

many thanks

POA does not count towards the 6 hour working time break rule - neither does break

All your duties for that shift must be officially recorded so if you clock on at 5am then that is when your official tacho record must begin

thanks for the info .so when i arrive at work say 5am ihave 15 mins to put card in on poa .what happens when i pull the vehicle on the bay for loading and this takes 1 hr would this then count as other work from when i move the vehicle.

so now as i understand.i arrive at work at 5 am insert card on poa ,when ready for loading this becomes drive time and other work.from the time the vehicle moves this begins my 6hr and 4.5 hr driving time

foza1974:
thanks for the info .so when i arrive at work say 5am ihave 15 mins to put card in on poa .what happens when i pull the vehicle on the bay for loading and this takes 1 hr would this then count as other work from when i move the vehicle.

so now as i understand.i arrive at work at 5 am insert card on poa ,when ready for loading this becomes drive time and other work.from the time the vehicle moves this begins my 6hr and 4.5 hr driving time

Inserting the card is other work so you need to record at least 1 minute of that before choosing to use POA or break

Moving the vehicle should automatically get recorded as driving time and when on the bay what you record depends on what you are doing
Loading the vehicle = other work
Just waiting for vehicle to be loaded = POA or break

I’ll do an example …
Other work 2 mins
POA or break 1 hour
Drive onto bay 1 minute
POA or break if not loading 1 hour

you now have 4 hrs and 29 mins driving time left before needing a 45 min break
you have 5 hours and 57 mins RTD drive/work left before needing a 15 min break
Breaks for RTD work/drive time and breaks for driving time can count for both

PS - if break is used instead of POA then you would have 4 hours 30 mins driving time and 6 hours RTD because using break would reset both to their potential maximums

thanks for that, now i understand :smiley: lol much appreciated mate