Realistically what are my chances?

I’m currently doing my driving lessons and have my test in a few weeks, once I pass I’m hoping to start my class 2 lessons about 6 months later but I’m honestly wondering what my chances are when an employer sees that not only do I have no class 2 experience but I’ve only been driving 6 months. Is it a bit silly going for a class 2 licence so quickly after passing my test? Should I give it 12 months instead?

I dont think that being 6 or 12 months will make a difference

If you can afford it then get what licences you can ASAP

Don’t know! But the sooner you earn the entitlement, the sooner the “licence held” clock starts ticking, and that seems to matter to quite a few places, so the sooner the better in the long run if you’re sure it is what you want to do?

Doing a car/van driving job in the meantime might improve the look of your CV a little?

SJB:
Don’t know! But the sooner you earn the entitlement, the sooner the “licence held” clock starts ticking, and that seems to matter to quite a few places, so the sooner the better in the long run if you’re sure it is what you want to do?

Doing a car/van driving job in the meantime might improve the look of your CV a little?

Yeah as soon as I pass my test I’m probably going to grab a pizza delivery job or something just so I have driving experience. I guess it makes sense to get my class 2 as soon as possible then so I get licence time under my belt. It’s definitely what I want to do, class 2 first for a few years and then class 1.

Many firms won’t care.

Sainsburys will take drivers who are 18 with zero experience now if you can blag an assessment. At some sites.

Tesco are the same.

In some ways you are in a great position. You will be keen, and ready to graft. Compared to many (including myself) if the job looks hard we are not interested.

Go for it.

sammym:
Many firms won’t care.

Sainsburys will take drivers who are 18 with zero experience now if you can blag an assessment. At some sites.

Tesco are the same.

In some ways you are in a great position. You will be keen, and ready to graft. Compared to many (including myself) if the job looks hard we are not interested.

Go for it.

Thanks for the support. I’ve actually looked at Tesco and Sainbury’s (and other supermarkets) and most of them want the applicant to have held their driving licence for at least 1 year, sometimes even as long as 2 years. I guess I’ll still apply for them anyway though as I have nothing to lose.

Get your licences done and out of the way if that’s what you want to do as a career.
As has been said above it gets the clock ticking.

When your done, start knocking on doors with boots, hi vis and cv in hand. Show enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and something will come your way.

Don’t settle for silly money or poor conditions though.

As has already been said, get your tests done then start knocking on doors. There will always be companies and agencies willing to take newbies

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Said it before, I took a 23 year old on Class1 that was driving a van. Right attitude, goodvassessment drive and we were considered a good firm.

i passed my class 1 at 23 years old,walked straight into a job at NCL…left there walked into another…that was ■■■■,so left there and walked into a great job at Carryfast :smiley: so,it can be done!

mind you,that was 40 years ago :sunglasses:

i passed my car test and got a pizza delivery job

then 1 year later done class 2, agency then got taken on full time

after 1 year of class 2 i done my class 1 and now have a full time class 1 job

if you want to do it then just go for it op

carryfast-yeti:
i passed my class 1 at 23 years old,walked straight into a job at NCL…left there walked into another…that was [zb],so left there and walked into a great job at Carryfast :smiley: so,it can be done!

mind you,that was 40 years ago :sunglasses:

I’ve heard that trucking jobs are in high demand these days but some say it’s not as bad as some people think. I’m not expecting to just walk into a job and I won’t expect it either, I’m prepared to do the ■■■■■■ work if I need to get my foot in the door.

ineedmoney:
i passed my car test and got a pizza delivery job

then 1 year later done class 2, agency then got taken on full time

after 1 year of class 2 i done my class 1 and now have a full time class 1 job

if you want to do it then just go for it op

Thanks! When you went to the agency, is it like temp work where they ring you in the morning or evening if there’s a job and ask you to come in to cover someone else’s shift? A lot of people have mixed feelings about agency work but I don’t really know what to expect.

carryfast-yeti:
i passed my class 1 at 23 years old,walked straight into a job at NCL…

I did 1 year shunting and a few years on 7.5s for NCL leicester in the late 70s and early 80s

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:

I did 1 year shunting and a few years on 7.5s for NCL leicester in the late 70s and early 80s

October '79 i started ROG. had my first day in that white Albion artic with another driver with me…then onto the D series artics…they were great fun…but a bit small. i rolled up at my girlfriends jewellers shop,and she wasn’t impressed :frowning: i’d told her i was on the ‘big’ trucks :laughing:
i fancied taking on one of the Atki Borderers,but couldn’t get near them :frowning: i was quite pally with a black guy called Simon.only stayed a few months,as i wanted to get away from working in town.

Please don’t.

Do a van driving job and see if you enjoy driving for a living first.
There’s a huge difference between driving for fun And driving for a living.

Don’t rush it.
Also class 2 multi drop can be even more of a rat race then van multi drop so just see how you do in the vans to begin with and see if you enjoy it.

adam277:
Please don’t.

Don’t rush it.
Also class 2 multi drop can be even more of a rat race then van multi drop so just see how you do in the vans to begin with and see if you enjoy it.

What a terrible thing to say to a young man!

I’ve done the supermarket dress that you did. So I can see wht you were jaded. But have you tried doing one or the near limitless other types of driving jobs?

A good class 1 job is a lot of fun. Supermarket work is not.

adam277:
Please don’t.

Don’t rush it.

In my opinion you can’t really use vans as a comparison.

In most, if not all, van jobs it’s small/medium parcels so your flying round like a loon with no compulsory breaks or limit on hours to take a breather.

Even on multi-drop class 2 it’s a lot less rushing than a bloody van!

I’d say to OP if you really want to do then go for it, get your Class 1 ASAP then if a job comes up then your in a position to try go for it.

Forget the 2yrs crap - apply for everything, you might get an application in at the right time and land a job from it

If anything it’s age that really matters these days, a lot of firms want 25yrs+

I’ve found this is really the insurance stumbling block, not how long licence held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d ignore the above advice.
Just make sure you know what your getting into

You may well hate driving. You may hate being stuck in traffic constantly and the long hours.

Driving for a living isn’t for everyone.

After all you haven’t even passed your car test yet so it’s just a bit early to think about it.

Also class 2 can be more stressful due to the regs and running up against your hours.

carryfast-yeti:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:

October '79 i started ROG. had my first day in that white Albion artic with another driver with me…then onto the D series artics…they were great fun…but a bit small. i rolled up at my girlfriends jewellers shop,and she wasn’t impressed :frowning: i’d told her i was on the ‘big’ trucks :laughing:
i fancied taking on one of the Atki Borderers,but couldn’t get near them :frowning: i was quite pally with a black guy called Simon.only stayed a few months,as i wanted to get away from working in town.

Which depot?