Need Advice

I made a thread few weeks ago, after asking friends and family and most of them think it would be better if once i got my driving license, currently doing it, i try and get a job driving a van to get experience on the road, rather then passing my driving test and going for Cat C straight away. What do you guys think is my best bet. Thanks

If you have no licence at all at the moment then you may even find it hard to get van work until you have a bit of driving experience, so I would have to agree with them.

Well im not quite sure how im going to get driving experience without getting some sort of driving job lol

Well, things have changed in the last decade since I was a young driver, and had only just got my licence. My own experience is that if you want to be a driver (lord only knows why someone would choose to be), then just do it. Van driving experience isn’t really gonna make a lot of difference. It’s always going to be hard for a young, newly qualified driver to get that important 2 years experience, but as long as you show intuition, and that you’re eager, there’s always someone that will take you on. Even Stobarts takes drivers on with no experience, but I’m afraid you’d need your class 1 for them.

Good luck, what ever you decide to do.

Reubs

LewisG94:
Well im not quite sure how im going to get driving experience without getting some sort of driving job lol

I mean experience driving in general :unamused: You will be lucky if you get a job driving somebody elses brand new sprinter loaded with expensive cargo when you only passed a car test the week before. You will be even luckier if you got a job driving LGV when you had only passed your test the week before and your car test the week before that!

skids:

LewisG94:

I mean experience driving in general :unamused: You will be lucky if you get a job driving somebody elses brand new sprinter loaded with expensive cargo when you only passed a car test the week before. You will be even luckier if you got a job driving LGV when you had only passed your test the week before and your car test the week before that!

I can see that maybe you’re not an optimist. . . Hehe

There is absolutely 0% chance of getting any driving job if you have just passed.

You need a years experience even to deliver pizzas.

stagedriver:
There is absolutely 0% chance of getting any driving job if you have just passed.

Total crap, he can go get his licence, and some bus companies will take him on after 3 months holidng a licence deffo 12 months in London.

discoman:

stagedriver:

Total crap, he can go get his licence, and some bus companies will take him on after 3 months holidng a licence deffo 12 months in London.

Keeps panel beaters in jobs I suppose!

skids:

discoman:

stagedriver:

lol, I joined hte buses when I was 18, had my licence 12 months … ironically it was the older drivers who were having prangs ~I used to be told your to young to drive this thing even had the police come to the bus saying it is stolen … like I would nick a bus uniform etc !

discoman:

skids:

discoman:

stagedriver:

lol, I joined hte buses when I was 18, had my licence 12 months … ironically it was the older drivers who were having prangs ~I used to be told your to young to drive this thing even had the police come to the bus saying it is stolen … like I would nick a bus uniform etc !

If you’re a smoker thinking of stealing a bus, make sure to steal a double decker so you can smoke upstairs.

the maoster:

discoman:

skids:

discoman:

stagedriver:

If you’re a smoker thinking of stealing a bus, make sure to steal a double decker so you can smoke upstairs.

How long since you were on a bus? :laughing:

Suppose you think you can smoke at the back of an aeroplane as well. :wink:

I f you wanna be a truck driver then you’ll get work, when the recession ends there will be loads of it potentially. Maybe van driving may be a good place to start as you will realize that driving like a maniac 10 hrs a day aint all a bundle of laughs

schrodingers cat:

the maoster:

discoman:

skids:

discoman:

stagedriver:

How long since you were on a bus? :laughing:

Suppose you think you can smoke at the back of an aeroplane as well. :wink:

Yeah right… You must think I’m stupid enough to fall for that! Next thing you’ll be telling me we can’t smoke in our own trucks. :smiley:

Thinking about it, the amount of people who say they are not going to do DCPC, there should be plenty of work in 2014!