Work

Hi there this is my first post. I have been reading these boards for over a year now but decided I would join up.

I been thinking about going for my Class c licence recently. However, the one thing that is putting me off is a concern I have about the amount of work I could get. I am 22 and just a bit worried that my age will be a major turn off to employers once I have gained my licence.

I’m in two minds at the moment about leaving it for a few more years or going for it now. I’m not after alot of money at the moment (probably 6quid p/h) and Im happy to do agency work just want to make sure I can support myself if I do spend money training for a licence.

Obviously, I know no one is going to have a definant answer but mainly intrested in getting a feel in what the work market is like for a young new driver.

Apply apply apply,
Some places will take you on at your age, they will more than likely pay a ■■■ wage, but that ■■■ wage is being offset by gaining experiance,
And then by the time you reach the magic thumping 25 years of age, when you seem to become insurance friendly, the 2 years experiance testicles some places like to sucker punch you with wont be effective in your case as you’ll already have it.

In short - Go for it, You have nothing to lose.

:smiley: Welcome (eventually :wink: ) to TNUK mightbatrucker.

Have to agree with B1GGK, I’d also say that if you’ve got the time and the money, then get stuck in asap.

Points to consider:

1. The cost of lessons might rise.
  2. The cost of the driving test might rise.
  3. The driving test might get more difficult.
  4. There is a cut-off date, after which you’ll have to do the driver CPC as well (more cost)
  5. Your own circumstances might change.
  6. There might be other things I’ve missed (that’s always possible :wink: )

Go for it mate :smiley:

The ‘market’ is very much territorial.

You have neglected to include in your profile your location. :wink:

Oops, so have I. :blush:

If you can afford to do it now then i would say go for it - even if you dont use it now you1ve got it to use when you do reach the magic 25 for insurance purposes :wink:

You will regret if you leave it 3 years. One thing I can guarantee you is that training costs are likely to increase by as much as 30% in 3 years time with the current state of economy. Think of training now as an asset and as B1 GGK said some employers will take you regardless of being under 25.

Are there any companies near you that run 7.5 tonners & LGVs as you may have a way in by passing C and starting on 7.5s.

You’ll have to be prepared for a few knockbacks but you should find someone who would take you on and for the standard wage they pay if you persist.

In any event, the biggest hurdle is not your age but the “two-years-experience” thing that a lot of insurers insist on. I had held my licence for two years before I could find someone to give me a start (although I didn’t try too hard as I had a job I quite liked anyway) and you might just have to do some future-planning, get your test (s) under your belt and bide your time. Believe me, your 25th birthday will be here before you know it…

I have decided to go for. I have been thinking about it on and off for the last few months but now I have a little bit of money and time I decided it might be the best thing for me. I Don’t think I will regret it at the end of the day as its been something I have wanted to achive. Plus the sooner I pass the sooner I get my two experience.

Thanks for giving me some feedback it is appricaited.

Are there any companies near you that run 7.5 tonners & LGVs as you may have a way in by passing C and starting on 7.5s.

I think there are a few companies round my area that run 7.5 tonners inlcuding Brakes they seem to have a large fleet.

Anyway thanks for the help and I will let u know how I get on!

mightbatrucker:
I think there are a few companies round my area that run 7.5 tonners inlcuding Brakes they seem to have a large fleet.

I believe Brakes are fairly “newbie friendly.” :wink:

mightbatrucker:
Anyway thanks for the help and I will let u know how I get on!

TIP: Please choose your training school carefully. :wink:
I’d suggest you have a trawl around this forum, or use the search facility, to discover who has a good reputation in your area. :wink:

Please don’t be afraid to ask, we all had a first day. :wink:
And please let us know how it goes :smiley:

dieseldave:

mightbatrucker:

I believe Brakes are fairly “newbie friendly.”

The phrase, “like lambs to the slaughter” also comes to mind :stuck_out_tongue:

but it is a foot in the door, well many doors as you try to get 60 packets of frozen peas into a hotel kitchen at lunchtime :stuck_out_tongue: while the head chef is throwing knives at you

(information gleaned from this site using the search button) :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
The phrase, “like lambs to the slaughter” also comes to mind :stuck_out_tongue:

but it is a foot in the door, well many doors as you try to get 60 packets of frozen peas into a hotel kitchen at lunchtime :stuck_out_tongue: while the head chef is throwing knives at you

(information gleaned from this site using the search button) :smiley:

:laughing: Ha ha Wheel Nut, that’s very good :laughing:
The driving game has always been like that. :wink:

I meant that Brakes is usually “newbie friendly,” but I couldn’t comment on their clients. Fair point though :grimacing:

One of our bus drivers left about 3 weeks ago to work at Brake Bros in Highbridge. He said that they are going to put him through training. I have seen him a couple of times since and he seems to be enjoying it. Try them first before you pay for your own training. Just be aware that several others have left to go there and not stayed too long.

If you’re paying for your own training, and are a tax payer, you’ll probably be able to get tax relief on the cost of the training. Keep any receipts ! :slight_smile:

“you’ll probably be able to get tax relief on the cost of the training”

Thats interesting, ( Yes Please… )

Wonder if your able to post any applicable links
In the mean time Im off to investigate it via Google :slight_smile:

Also wonder if it applies if were Self Employed before self financing training.

Regards Double Q

PS:

Lack of (recent) experience is also my problem for me,
so presently I excepting just about any General Haulage assignments I can get, in order to build it up.
while also looking for a permanent employer …

I Suggest:
Try and find a reputable Driver Agency
thats just opening a new branch near you, and sign up.

Because “Agency Driving” Doing work via assignments,
is a good way to build up experience.

And if possable, Increase the scope of protental client/postings
by signing up to more than one

WARNING:
If possable try and avoild "sudden “urgent " 9AM assignments”
Cos its highly likely your just about to be “Droped in at the Deep End”
and under unecessary presure,.
because : ( often the load your be taking is already late, and your taking the flack from all sides ) Not good …

PPS: and dont forget, if your applying for a permanent Job at “Joe Blogs Logistics” ,
Having already been working for them via postings via that agency,
(Assuming you have’nt Trashed there Wagon, or got lost for days)
Your be well placed to become permanent. (Its a Foot in the Door Dudes :wink:

PPPS: Judit if you read this, Please Please.
(Wisemans said no, " Better Qualified applicatants, applied)

And above all. keep trying.

Main problem is the lack of 2 years experience rather than being under 25 I think. I was 23 when I got my Class1 & 2 and did find work, however on the jobs I was not offered it was down to lack of experience rather than age. You’ll find the majority of 3.5t van work also requires you to be over 25, but in reality it just isn’t the case once you get some experience, they’ll take you on regardless, as I’ve been driving Sprinters since I was 20 and lots of the jobs stated “must be 25 for insurance purposes” however it turned out to be bull.

gerontius:
If you’re paying for your own training, and are a tax payer, you’ll probably be able to get tax relief on the cost of the training. Keep any receipts ! :slight_smile:

hi all just spoken to my tax office who say I can not get any relief on training
whilest I was on to them I remembered reading on here about tax relief for agency drivers on mileage from home to assignment so I asked about that as well and thats also a no

If your agency pay you via one of these self employed methods like backoffice, then you can claim tax allowances on commuting mileage and work expenses.

Kiowan:
If your agency pay you via one of these self employed methods like backoffice, then you can claim tax allowances on commuting mileage and work expenses.

There’s also another of those self-emplyed methods called “Morrison’s,” (or a similar-looking word :blush: ) you can claim tax allowances on mileage to assignments. There’s also an allowance for laundry, phone and boots etc.

There are also schemes for training, but I don’t think it’s to do with “tax allowances.” It depends on what scheme is available in your area, because it’s postcode related. Sometimes, you pay nothing, sometimes you pay part-cost, and sometimes you pay full cost.

This funding usually comes via a college, so interested candidates should ask the logistics department of their local college in the first instance.
If they don’t have a logistics department, then ask them for the name of a college that does. :smiley:
If you approach a training provider directly, you might not get the full picture. :wink:

Schemes aren’t available to those who don’t ask :wink:

Horse…water… :wink: