New driver - Driving containers in/out of Felixstowe

Hi all,
have a class 2, but no real experience other than 20 years driving 7.5 ton lorries. Was thinking of taking class 1 (CE) locally either with a well known place or one up the road from Felixstowe.
I can pay for the training myself so wouldn’t be tied in to the minimum ‘stay with us’ if you had the company put you through the test at their expense. My other half works for a big haulage company, so may ask there after passing the test.

My main queston is: are container firms likely to offer a new driver (after assesment drive maybe…) a job driving containers port to port etc, and will you be expected to work a crazy amount of hours because you are new, something her indoors wouldn’t stand lol.
I ask this as there has been a few adverts around over the last year or so wanting drivers for sat/sun, mon-fri, tues-thurs, 12-midnight etc etc. Info from any ‘new’ drivers that may have done the ‘well known’ company in felixstowe’s ‘train with us route and we will pay for your traing if you stay 3 years’ or any other way in to container driving locally would be great…

tubbstattsyrup:
Hi all,

My main queston is: are container firms likely to offer a new driver (after assesment drive maybe…) a job driving containers port to port etc, and will you be expected to work a crazy amount of hours because you are new, something her indoors wouldn’t stand lol.
I ask this as there has been a few adverts around over the last year or so wanting drivers for sat/sun, mon-fri, tues-thurs, 12-midnight etc etc. Info from any ‘new’ drivers that may have done the ‘well known’ company in felixstowe’s ‘train with us route and we will pay for your traing if you stay 3 years’ or any other way in to container driving locally would be great…

It depends on the firm. Most good forms will support you with 2 weeks - an experienced driver in the cab with you. You should have a few days in the yard practising blind reversing etc as well.

The ‘train-with-us’ route is good - but very few firms offer it now - so if a nearby firm do go and see them asap.

Felixstowe container haulage is a cess pool. You won’t be expected to do long hours because you’re a newbie, you’ll be expected to do long hours because you’re a driver.
I believe Goldstar offer a 4 on 4 off system.
Good luck however and if you’re not sure, ask someone.