Frustrated New Driver

Please can someone give me some advice as Im slowly losing my confidence in getting out on the road. Im not asking for miracles but a point in the right direction would be good.
Having only passed my Class 1 in Feb 2011, Im aware of this 2 year experience required as its shoved at me by every agency Ive tried. I have managed to do the ‘odd’ day but 1 day a week doesnt pay the bills. I have had a day in a van, a day in an artic (agency didnt tell the company) and I had 4 hours docked from my wages for being slow!!! Ive spent 4 weeks working from Felixstowe docks (even though it takes 3 1/2 hours for me to get there by car) for no pay just to get experience. now Im thinking I may have no choice but to give up my dream of becoming a driver.
Does anyone no of a company that might give me that one chance??
Regards ■■ :frowning:

I’ve moved your post to where I think it can be better discussed. dd. :wink:

shortnsweet:
I have had a day in a van, a day in an artic (agency didnt tell the company) and I had 4 hours docked from my wages for being slow!!! Ive spent 4 weeks working from Felixstowe docks (even though it takes 3 1/2 hours for me to get there by car) for no pay just to get experience. now Im thinking I may have no choice but to give up my dream of becoming a driver.

You’ve worked 4 weeks for nothing :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What type of work was you doing at Felixstowe docks ?

By the way the “Old Time Lorries, Companies” forum probably isn’t the best place for this :wink:

You need to live near an area that needs drivers.
Perhaps you could cost it out so you could get digs in Crick or the North West? I know it sounds extreme but driving three and a half hours to do an afternoons work is extreme.
Our firm is happy to recruit new drivers and I cannot believe we are the only ones so keep looking.

Good Luck,
W

I mis~read your post mate, I thought you said four hours not four weeks.
Still extreme though…

I see from your other posts that you live in the Worcestershire area, try the Job-Centre website because there are a few agencies advertising around the Worcester/Evesham area.

First Personnel are advertising for drivers for Worcester, they’re a [zb] agency but work is work and I think they will take on new drivers if they need to :wink:

My apologies for using this forum, its all new to me. Thought that living (with my teenage kids) near Birmingham would be easy to commute. In Felixstowe I was running from the docks so got the RHIDES card. I paid all costs in taking my HGV along with my DCPC, ADR and Hiab - for what its worth. And thanks guys for your help x
Regards Michele x

It’s not easy finding a job at the moment. I was recruiting back in April this year and had 87 applicants for 4 vacancies. You will have to keep looking, try job centres, internet sites, local newspapers, and cold calling companies who employ drivers.

You may be better off putting this on either the UK Professional Drivers forum or even the New & Wannabe drivers forum (interactive) I’m sure someone may be able to advise you on one of these forums.

shortnsweet:
Please can someone give me some advice as Im slowly losing my confidence in getting out on the road. Im not asking for miracles but a point in the right direction would be good.
Having only passed my Class 1 in Feb 2011, Im aware of this 2 year experience required as its shoved at me by every agency Ive tried. I have managed to do the ‘odd’ day but 1 day a week doesnt pay the bills. I have had a day in a van, a day in an artic (agency didnt tell the company) and I had 4 hours docked from my wages for being slow!!! Ive spent 4 weeks working from Felixstowe docks (even though it takes 3 1/2 hours for me to get there by car) for no pay just to get experience. now Im thinking I may have no choice but to give up my dream of becoming a driver.

Give Robert Wiseman Dairies a try at Droitwich, they will usually take on lads and lasses with little/no experience and then train them up. The Big Dairy is on the industrial estate just off the A442, go left off the roundabout where Great Bear Distribution is and all the way to the top of the estate, right at the roundabout and the dairy is in front of you.

Ps, they have a few Ladies driving for them too.

jimbotruck:

shortnsweet:

Give Robert Wiseman Dairies a try at Droitwich, they will usually take on lads and lasses with little/no experience and then train them up. The Big Dairy is on the industrial estate just off the A442, go left off the roundabout where Great Bear Distribution is and all the way to the top of the estate, right at the roundabout and the dairy is in front of you.

Hiya… it say’s there go left at the roundabout nr great bear… just walk in great bear and ask if they have anything going…
they may just be short of a driver that day and you do them a favour they may feel they owe you one…its worth a try…
good luck
John

Are you aiming too high? You can’t get a class one licence and go straight to the top of the ladder. There is a firm in my area (it’s a decent outfit) always on the lookout for drivers, I passed yesterday and they are wanting class 2 drivers, they usually start them on the smaller stuff and then, when they’ve had a good look at a lad, move him up onto class one vehicles. Oh, and you do NOT work for nothing…anywhere.
I am assuming you are only a young fella, you have a lot of years in front of you, be patient, keep trying, and it WILL happen. Good luck.

You may have to aim low 1st just to gain some experiance. Have you tried bakers of rowley regis? Or pentalvers formaly bomurs of cannock? Or maritime they have a depot in frieghtliner hams hall. Good luck. :wink:

Mrknowitall:
You may have to aim low 1st just to gain some experiance. Have you tried bakers of rowley regis? Or pentalvers formaly bomurs of cannock? Or maritime they have a depot in frieghtliner hams hall. Good luck. :wink:

maritime will not look at anyone without 2 years experience on the road (not just 2 years on the licence).

if you live in worcester why not try around evesham, theres sinclairs and marshalls, also theres spiers and hartwell wagons have got Evesham distribution company on the side (just off the badsey road) theres also a lot of fruit growers round that area that may just have a few vehicles.

or even hereford, theres cargills, (run by culina i think) or the brewery.

get in the car with a mitt full of cv’s and your gear and drive round companies, its no good phoning people they will nearly always fob you off but its harder to do face to face

tachograph:
By the way the “Old Time Lorries, Companies” forum probably isn’t the best place for this :wink:

Agreed, so I’ve moved it. :wink:

grumpy old man:
I am assuming you are only a young fella, you have a lot of years in front of you, be patient, keep trying, and it WILL happen. Good luck.

her name is michelle and puts kisses at the end of her posts :smiley:

Hi. If you are interested in jobs in the worcestershire area, they are taking on at Walkers. Its mon to fri nights out which I guess prob doesnt suit. Also Ceva have or about to advertise for class 2 drivers to run out of Hereford. You will apar be paid class 1 rates, as you will b required to cover th class 1 drivers holidays etc. P. Andrews at pershore is looking for a class 1 driver at the moment. If you need any help - Im local to the area.

I wouldnt get to down hearted it can be done.After a bit of chatting to my boss
We have just taken a friend of mine on she like the poster pasted her test in Class 1 Feburary
All her extra training costs are being met by the company ie EPIC training etc and there was no working for nothing either.But she also has no kids and is tramping the same as the rest of us

Try looking for companies that operate on pallet networks I tend to find they are always looking for drivers.

Have you tried driversonline.co.uk/job_view.php?jobid=751 for work at HDN/Yodel at Berry Hill, Droitwich & Blackpole.

Or adrnetwork.co.uk/vacancies.asp Job ID 584, Morrisons at Berry Hill.

Transmec in Redditch were advertising for a driver recently. Involved a mixture of 18t multi drop and class 1 trunk runs.