Frustrated New Driver

Ocardo are opening a depot in the Midlands in the near future; they take on new drivers and will give training if required.

bluenose:
Have you tried driversonline.co.uk/job_view.php?jobid=751 for work at HDN/Yodel at Berry Hill, Droitwich & Blackpole.

Or adrnetwork.co.uk/vacancies.asp Job ID 584, Morrisons at Berry Hill.

If that Morrisons is anything like the one in Bellshill then he’s no chance. 2 years exp, no points etc req for ADR NW

Don’t know where you live mate, but you could try Turners? Sorry indeed to hear of your troubles in getting your foot in the door, just a few short years ago when I had just gained my Class 1, it was a completely different ball game. Passed the test Tuesday and was out and at it Friday. Are you sure that you’ve made the different people aware that you’re willing to accept nights and weekend and the like? Come September or a little later, the annual mad rush for Christmas starts and you’ll be suprised how quick the two year rule will get forgotten about when they’re in deep do-do, and sometimes, not all times, they might remember to ask for you when the works a little slacker too?
Above all, don’t give up, keep smiling and keep trying, when it’s your turn you’ll know it, and hopefully you’ll be on your way. Don’t forget to keep us posted :grimacing:

If you can get to Birch Coppice Trading Estate at tamworth (M42 J10) Roadways Container Logistics would be worth a try as I’ve just got a job with them and I only past my class 1 on the 14th may and I am only 19. I know they are still after drivers. It all depends on where abouts you live and how far you are willing to travel. :wink:

Best advice I could give is to cold call as many places as you can and you might get lucky, tried it myself last week and managed to score 2 interviews for this week :open_mouth: Keep at it and you will get there in the end :sunglasses:

I was in the same boat as you. I passed in October last year and I was VERY lucky to get a job, through a friend, after only 6 weeks but I was treated like a t**t! I’d had enough the ■■■■■■■■ so I started looking for work elsewhere. I got told the same as you, 2 yrs experiance please.

Weell, I’m not one to take no for an answer and if someone tells me I cant do something I go out of my way to prove them I can!

One Sunday I spent the day re-writing my CV, having the wife rip it to bits due to spelling and grammer mistakes. I had the Monday off work so I sat with the laptop open to Yell.com and searched for all the haulage companies in my area. After several hours of work I had 35 company names and addresses.

CV printed off on CREAM paper and a speculative letter addressed to each company. Envelopes PRINTED with their address and all in the post that day! Yes, it took me two days and cost me about £30 but the results were far better than I thought it would be.

I posted them on the Monday, on the Thursday I got a call from Truswell Haulage in Barnsley and I’ve been working for them since February this year. Upto now, I’ve had 6 job offers and a further 7 interview requests from the 35 CV’s I sent out.

Top tip, never give up. Good luck and keep plugging away and when you DO get a drive, give me a wave when you pass. FH12 Volvo with Gloria in the window.

grumpy old man:
Are you aiming too high? You can’t get a class one licence and go straight to the top of the ladder. There is a firm in my area (it’s a decent outfit) always on the lookout for drivers, I passed yesterday and they are wanting class 2 drivers, they usually start them on the smaller stuff and then, when they’ve had a good look at a lad, move him up onto class one vehicles. Oh, and you do NOT work for nothing…anywhere.
I am assuming you are only a young fella, you have a lot of years in front of you, be patient, keep trying, and it WILL happen. Good luck.

Hello ‘grumpy old man’
Im not aiming too high, accepting all I can get from a Luton van to skip work but at only about 8 hours a week through agency Im thinking I may have to rethink my plans as I have a family (although grown up but living at home) which doesnt restrict me during the week but a permenant move might be difficult, At 45 and female its a difficult decision.

thanks for your advice hun x

shortnsweet:
Im not aiming too high, accepting all I can get from a Luton van to skip work but at only about 8 hours a week through agency Im thinking I may have to rethink my plans as I have a family (although grown up but living at home) which doesnt restrict me during the week but a permenant move might be difficult, At 45 and female its a difficult decision.

thanks for your advice hun x

Know how you feel as basically the same but mine have left home ( although still have a lot of son thing here as he moved into fully furnished place ) & it is still there home to some extent but being female is hard

I have gone back on small vans as that was the best on offer at the time hope to move on & get a break at some point but will wait for now

Good luck but do look at all companies go & cold call

Hiya,

Saints at heathrow are looking for drivers at the moment if you don’t mind travelling.They also have their own onsite digs too.They take on new drivers, Not sure what the shift pattern is, but the pays ok and works pretty easy

Rudebear