New hgv 2 driver work notts

I’m looking for some help. I have recently past my class 2 looking for work. I’m in Mansfield notts. I wouldn’t want lots of multi drops and would like trunking work or similar. Basically delivering to places meant for hgvs.

I don’t want anything to do with agencys and want part time or full time work. Which companys are best to try or other ways to go about it ?

Try taylors on nights.
Newspaper trunks.

commonrail:
Try taylors on nights.
Newspaper trunks.

Got offered the same job there 4 years ago… for £7.50 per hour which I politely declined … plenty of alternative better paying Class 2 work in the area!

You are being far too picky for a new start. You may fall lucky and get exactly what you want but I think you would be better off grabbing any opportunities with both hands to get some experience, then pick and choose later. Manoeuvring in tight spaces is part of the job and you need to get used to it. Just take your time and will be ok eventually.

Co-op J28
Mitchell’s
Beardsley’s
Several transport firms Clovernook industrial estate
C2S Holmewood
Brakes Belle Eau Park Bilsthorpe
Elddis Worksop
Griffins Tuxford
Green King Brewery
Bowring Warsop
… to name just a few

123smith:

commonrail:
Try taylors on nights.
Newspaper trunks.

Got offered the same job there 4 years ago… for £7.50 per hour which I politely declined … plenty of alternative better paying Class 2 work in the area!

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Agree the rate is ■■■■ though…I was on £7.50,when I worked there…13 years ago.
And I was on days.

Sorry to burst your bubble here, because I’m all for encouraging newbies, offering advice and support where I can, but I think a dose of reality is what’s needed here.
Firstly, you only want to go to places that are HGV accessible? Anywhere you get sent will be HGV accessible. Sure, some might be tight or difficult, but they are manageable. Plenty of people will have been there before you, plenty more to come. And putting yourself in difficult positions is often the best way to learn and improve.
If you only want single drop trunking and distance work, you’re unlikely to find much at class 2, especially with no experience.
As for agencies, take a look on all the job sites, the vast majority of jobs are posted via agencies. Companies like to get people in risk free so to speak, get to have a look at you, and give you a chance to see if you like the job, before they take people on permanently. These days most drivers have to start with agencies, whether to build experience or just to get a foot in the door.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You’ll hear plenty of advice to take all the zb work of which you’ve already got a reasonable idea of what to avoid if possible.Usually provided by those who also want to avoid it themselves by passing it onto so called ‘inexperienced’ drivers.

Also bearing in mind that a class 2 doesn’t necessarily mean being limited to 12-18t over sized van driver type jobs.The licence actually covers anything up to 32t 8 wheelers so view it as such.

The rest depends on how desperate you are and whether you can afford to walk away from all the 4 wheeler ( actually class 3 ) multi drop/building deliveries etc etc crap which fills the job ads because no one wants to do it and tell all those using the experience issue against you to do one.While 8 times out of 10 taking it will just get you marked as a mug and you’ll regret it many years down the line.

Don’t ask me how I know that.When with hindsight single no ties living at home with no mortgage or rent to worry about.Should easily trump anyone with a rent/mortgage and family to support trying to use the E word against you to lumber you with all the zb while they think they have the god given right to pick and choose all the cream. :bulb:

Ignore all the above if you’re in the worst of all worlds situation of falling into the latter group with the ‘experience’ pecking order issue also against you.

Trunking - get class 1 and a bit of experience then you might have a chance but few do night trunking in class 2. Don’t assume all trunking is to well designed depots, there are plenty which are really awful.

No multidrop - try tippers. Will be either farms or building sites mostly so not exactly “made for HGV”. Alternatively skips is another good starter but not always easy. Loads of those around the area.

Just like with car driving, you’re an unknown risk so only people who have higher staff turnover are likely to take that risk, along with their increased insurance cover. Once you get experience, you become (in theory) a lower risk, cheaper to insure and then more doors open.

(Except in Carryfast-land obviously).

trevHCS:
(Except in Carryfast-land obviously).

To be fair the pages and pages of the same old unwanted crap ( class 3 ) labourer/driver etc type jobs filling the job sites,that they even keep desperately sending me says otherwise. :open_mouth:

As a knackered approaching retirement 60 + year old looking for light driving work,which I’m increasingly finding myself competing with young people in their 20’s to get,even the immigrant workforce.Who rightly just don’t want to drive trucks,or often even 7.5 tonners and vans,for a living around the local towns,doing 2 or more hours worth of work in an hour.Nor being used as a human load handling device.

The fact is the be a mug start at the bottom doing all the zb and stay there.As part of the all the cream for some,at the expense of all the zb for others,face fits,pecking order scam ain’t working any more.Unfortunately too late for me.If only I’d realised what I know now around 40 years ago. :wink:

So my advice to the OP is take anything reasonable,nothing wrong with a few bulk pallet drops,or roro/hook load refuse bulkers,and it is possible to find 6-8 wheeler tramping work,but don’t be a mug.

no1dieselman:
You are being far too picky for a new start. You may fall lucky and get exactly what you want but I think you would be better off grabbing any opportunities with both hands to get some experience, then pick and choose later. Manoeuvring in tight spaces is part of the job and you need to get used to it. Just take your time and will be ok eventually.

Pretty much sums it for me this ^^^

I was on a dCPC course last week, where most of the guys/girls where class 2 and in the 30/40 age group…never heard so much negativity in one room in my life, they all seemed quite content to be on £20k, no ambition, no interest in the job, and more interested in going home before they started :unamused:

Carryfast:
Ignore all the above

When I started on class 2,it became apparent to me…that the ■■■■ work,that you refer to,was carried out by day men.

As someone who was willing to do nights out…I got all the long distance"easy"work.

commonrail:

Carryfast:
Ignore all the above

When I started on class 2,it became apparent to me…that the [zb] work,that you refer to,was carried out by day men.

As someone who was willing to do nights out…I got all the long distance"easy"work.

Wht is zb work ?

According to carryfast…and I do agree with him

Multi drop food service/builders merchant/pallet network type stuff.

commonrail:
When I started on class 2,it became apparent to me…that the [zb] work,that you refer to,was carried out by day men.

That was my point to the OP.Tramping will also need to go on the positive side of the list and no reason why class 2 can’t also provide that.Which leaves the question how many agencies have ads full of distance/bulk/pallet work,nights out may or may not be required,new drivers welcome,on offer regardless and why not ?.As opposed to multi drop/hand ball/labourer/warehouse worker/local multi multi multi drop + shop home deliveries and all the other usual suspects etc etc etc.

Because the better work will attract and hold drivers.
Although the duff work usually pays a better rate than the kind of work,you and I prefer…They still can’t retain drivers.
Hence loads of agency ads

You will be offered crap work. You can do two things:

1. Accept to do crap work and wait for better work
  2. Refuse to do crap work and wait for better work

commonrail:

Carryfast:
Ignore all the above

That worked for me, too. Not necessarily easier, but more variety. Also found that I tended to be left to my own devices so long as the work got done on time.

Good of Carryfast to take on the thankless task of forum careers advisor. We all know he’s a first class expert in this field :smiley: