New hgv 2 driver work notts

switchlogic:
Good of Carryfast to take on the thankless task of forum careers advisor. We all know he’s a first class expert in this field :smiley:

To be fair you know that it will be balanced and it will tell it like it is. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

123smith:
Co-op J28
Mitchell’s
Beardsley’s
Several transport firms Clovernook industrial estate
C2S Holmewood
Brakes Belle Eau Park Bilsthorpe
Elddis Worksop
Griffins Tuxford
Green King Brewery
Bowring Warsop
… to name just a few

Thx I called them and not mutch. One was offering van money for class2 but that’s it

CookieMonster:
Sorry to burst your bubble here, because I’m all for encouraging newbies, offering advice and support where I can, but I think a dose of reality is what’s needed here.
Firstly, you only want to go to places that are HGV accessible? Anywhere you get sent will be HGV accessible. Sure, some might be tight or difficult, but they are manageable. Plenty of people will have been there before you, plenty more to come. And putting yourself in difficult positions is often the best way to learn and improve.
If you only want single drop trunking and distance work, you’re unlikely to find much at class 2, especially with no experience.
As for agencies, take a look on all the job sites, the vast majority of jobs are posted via agencies. Companies like to get people in risk free so to speak, get to have a look at you, and give you a chance to see if you like the job, before they take people on permanently. These days most drivers have to start with agencies, whether to build experience or just to get a foot in the door.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Why won’t co’s take on direct to save agency fees? Self employed

Carryfast:
You’ll hear plenty of advice to take all the zb work of which you’ve already got a reasonable idea of what to avoid if possible.Usually provided by those who also want to avoid it themselves by passing it onto so called ‘inexperienced’ drivers.

Also bearing in mind that a class 2 doesn’t necessarily mean being limited to 12-18t over sized van driver type jobs.The licence actually covers anything up to 32t 8 wheelers so view it as such.

The rest depends on how desperate you are and whether you can afford to walk away from all the 4 wheeler ( actually class 3 ) multi drop/building deliveries etc etc crap which fills the job ads because no one wants to do it and tell all those using the experience issue against you to do one.While 8 times out of 10 taking it will just get you marked as a mug and you’ll regret it many years down the line.

Don’t ask me how I know that.When with hindsight single no ties living at home with no mortgage or rent to worry about.Should easily trump anyone with a rent/mortgage and family to support trying to use the E word against you to lumber you with all the zb while they think they have the god given right to pick and choose all the cream. :bulb:

Ignore all the above if you’re in the worst of all worlds situation of falling into the latter group with the ‘experience’ pecking order issue also against you.

Yes I agree with most of that I don’t want rubbish job. That’s not why I paid for my class 2 IL have to hold out until I find what I want.

A.Harris76:
Why won’t co’s take on direct to save agency fees? Self employed

Uncertainty. Flexibility.

A.Harris76:

Carryfast:
You’ll hear plenty of advice to take all the zb work of which you’ve already got a reasonable idea of what to avoid if possible.Usually provided by those who also want to avoid it themselves by passing it onto so called ‘inexperienced’ drivers.

Also bearing in mind that a class 2 doesn’t necessarily mean being limited to 12-18t over sized van driver type jobs.The licence actually covers anything up to 32t 8 wheelers so view it as such.

The rest depends on how desperate you are and whether you can afford to walk away from all the 4 wheeler ( actually class 3 ) multi drop/building deliveries etc etc crap which fills the job ads because no one wants to do it and tell all those using the experience issue against you to do one.While 8 times out of 10 taking it will just get you marked as a mug and you’ll regret it many years down the line.

Don’t ask me how I know that.When with hindsight single no ties living at home with no mortgage or rent to worry about.Should easily trump anyone with a rent/mortgage and family to support trying to use the E word against you to lumber you with all the zb while they think they have the god given right to pick and choose all the cream. :bulb:

Ignore all the above if you’re in the worst of all worlds situation of falling into the latter group with the ‘experience’ pecking order issue also against you.

Yes I agree with most of that I don’t want rubbish job. That’s not why I paid for my class 2 IL have to hold out until I find what I want.

This is the absolute WORST thing to do!
Firstly, not only are you not getting experience, the skills you have learned will be getting rusty if you’re not putting them into practice, meaning if you finally land your dream job, you’re more likely to make a mistake or have an accident that could lose you that job.
Secondly, companies will look at your application and wonder why you haven’t worked for so long after passing your test.
It also shows a terrible attitude. What if you get a good job, but get given a worse run than another driver? Are you going to kick off or refuse to do it?
We all want the best jobs, the best pay, the easiest shifts etc. But before you get them, you have to show you deserve them, prove yourself. You couldn’t explain to walk straight into a management position in any job sector without having a proven track record in the industry, why would you expect driving to be any different? You have to climb the ladder, not start on the top rung.
At the end of the day, it’s your career. Do with it as you wish. Just bear in mind that it’s easier to find work while you’re already in work.

Don’t waste your breath mate, if the op agrees with cf then all hope is lost for him already, tbf where he’s posted speaks volumes about his attitude anyway, he’s posted this in the PDF instead of the NEW & wannabes where it rightfully should be, but i suspect from what I’ve read that he may think he’s to good for there.

Also want to pick you up on this comment if you don’t mind…

CookieMonster:
,the skills you have learned will be getting rusty if you’re not putting them into practice,

What skills? He’s been taught to pass an hour and a half long test nothing more nothing less, none of which will prepare him for the real world.

Sorry if I’m coming across harsh/blunt on the op but that’s the PDF for you…

It’s not really a bad attitude to want a job witch were better suited too. My rubbish job mite be someone’s best job. About the part were work the not good jobs to earn the better jobs… tomorrow never comes from personal experience. It sounds like the good company’s induct us and the bad ones just throw the keys and paper work at us so won’t be rusty and better off at decent place.

A.Harris76:
It’s not really a bad attitude to want a job witch were better suited too. My rubbish job mite be someone’s best job. About the part were work the not good jobs to earn the better jobs… tomorrow never comes from personal experience. It sounds like the good company’s induct us and the bad ones just throw the keys and paper work at us so won’t be rusty and better off at decent place.

Unless you try a range of different jobs, how do you know what you’re better suited to? You might enjoy multidrop, skip work, tanks, HIAB etc but if you don’t try them, you will never know.
Plenty of good companies don’t do inductions, plenty of bad ones do. Rarely will an induction involve any driving. An assessment drive may be carried out, but this would be before any potential job offer (and just like your driving test, this becomes a lot harder if you’ve not driven for a while beforehand)

Reef:
Don’t waste your breath mate, if the op agrees with cf then all hope is lost for him already, tbf where he’s posted speaks volumes about his attitude anyway, he’s posted this in the PDF instead of the NEW & wannabes where it rightfully should be, but i suspect from what I’ve read that he may think he’s to good for there.

Also want to pick you up on this comment if you don’t mind…

CookieMonster:
,the skills you have learned will be getting rusty if you’re not putting them into practice,

What skills? He’s been taught to pass an hour and a half long test nothing more nothing less, none of which will prepare him for the real world.

Sorry if I’m coming across harsh/blunt on the op but that’s the PDF for you…

Don’t think you’re being harsh, seems like some people don’t want to be helped, like they know it all.

CookieMonster:

A.Harris76:

Unless you try a range of different jobs, how do you know what you’re better suited to? You might enjoy multidrop, skip work, tanks, HIAB etc but if you don’t try them, you will never know.
Plenty of good companies don’t do inductions, plenty of bad ones do. Rarely will an induction involve any driving. An assessment drive may be carried out, but this would be before any potential job offer (and just like your driving test, this becomes a lot harder if you’ve not driven for a while beforehand)

I have on vans and didn’t like multi drop and just know I wouldn’t get on with hiab or skips. Thx for those who helped other than the rude mod for telling newby he has bad attitude for accidently posting in wrong section lol Thx

CookieMonster:

It’s easy to sort that out with just a few questions before bothering to drive anything.IE does the OP want to drive trucks to travel to different places and have a yearning for the open road.Can he handle hand ball or does he only want pallet etc type work.He’s already answered the question of multi drop as opposed obviously to a few bulk drops.

As I said it’s clear that he’s being blackmailed with the experience issue in that regard just as I was on the basis of all the cream for the chosen few at the expense of all the zb for others.Bearing in mind that I really do believe that in some cases new inexperienced drivers were certainly being sent out on long international runs while I was being treated like a mug driving a scaffold truck on agency among other choice crap,with a class 1 and years of class 2 local stuff behind me before that.

As I said don’t let them take you for a mug unless you’ve got a mortgage/rent to pay and a family to support.If only I’d used that thought process as a naive new driver.

A.Harris76:
Thx for those who helped other than the rude mod for telling newby he has bad attitude for accidently posting in wrong section lol Thx

If you think my post was rude then you’re in for one hell of a hard time out there in the real world.

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

As I said don’t let them take you for a mug unless you’ve got a mortgage/rent to pay and a family to support.If only I’d used that thought process as a naive new driver.

Thx dude I’ll find something soon .

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

It’s easy to sort that out with just a few questions before bothering to drive anything.IE does the OP want to drive trucks to travel to different places and have a yearning for the open road.Can he handle hand ball or does he only want pallet etc type work.He’s already answered the question of multi drop as opposed obviously to a few bulk drops.

As I said it’s clear that he’s being blackmailed with the experience issue in that regard just as I was on the basis of all the cream for the chosen few at the expense of all the zb for others.Bearing in mind that I really do believe that in some cases new inexperienced drivers were certainly being sent out on long international runs while I was being treated like a mug driving a scaffold truck on agency among other choice crap,with a class 1 and years of class 2 local stuff behind me before that.

So you’re basically saying to turn down all work unless it’s what you really want to do? Unless you have bills to pay?
I started driving for a living a little over 5 years ago, and I set myself the goal of becoming a fuel tanker driver within 10 years. I did 2 years on class 2 before getting my class 1. I was working only for agencies up until 18 months ago (admittedly, sometimes turning down permanent positions because they didn’t suit me at the time).
I’ve done retail multidrop, collected bins, jetted drains, moved plant equipment, building supplies, hospital supplies, chemical and non-chemical tanks, HIAB, trunking, tramping, and just about anything else you can think of. I was at some companies for months, some for just a day. But they ALL helped me pay the bills, recoup the money for my tests, and gain experience.
Thanks to all that, I am now in the position I always wanted to be in, not in 10 years, but in 5!
I don’t know, maybe different people have different goals, are willing to settle, or to spend a grand on a qualification they don’t want to utilize.
I’m only trying to offer advice, and to use myself as an example to show that you can get what you want if you work for it. At the end of the day, none of us actually want to work, so we all try and find the least rubbish job, and maybe have to take on some worse jobs before we get there.
Make a plan on where you want to get to, then plan the steps that will get you do that destination.
Or sit on the couch waiting for the phone to ring…

CookieMonster:

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

So you’re basically saying to turn down all work unless it’s what you really want to do? Unless you have bills to pay?
I started driving for a living a little over 5 years ago, and I set myself the goal of becoming a fuel tanker driver within 10 years. I did 2 years on class 2 before getting my class 1. I was working only for agencies up until 18 months ago (admittedly, sometimes turning down permanent positions because they didn’t suit me at the time.
I’ve done retail multidrop, collected bins, jetted drains, moved plant equipment, building supplies, hospital supplies, chemical and non-chemical tanks, HIAB, trunking, tramping, and just about anything else you can think of. I was at some companies for months, some for just a day. But they ALL helped me pay the bills, recoup the money for my tests, and gain experience.
Thanks to all that, I am now in the position I always wanted to be in, not in 10 years, but in 5!

So you turned down stuff when it suited you and took some crap to pay the bills.Which is what I said. :confused:

While in my experience I did 5 years on class 2 as a council driver which covered everything from sometimes spending all day in the yard as a labourer to plant haulage and bulk refuse/tipper work using a 4 wheeler multi lift,if not lighter WF’s and TJ tippers ( bearing in mind the difference between class 2 v class 3 then ).So by your logic you’d think by the 4 th year of that I’d have got a break onto international drawbar work at which point I also upgraded my licence to class 1.But no notwithstanding the ‘lucky’ break onto night trunking,a forced layoff for a while on agency got me lumbered with scaffolding/building deliveries work involving more labouring than driving and 7.5 t Multi Drop ( at this point with a class 1 let alone class 2 ).Meanwhile from what I’ve seen younger people were jumping straight into international jobs behind me with no need for the experience issue which I’d continuously had used against me to the point where the rest of my career on uk night trunking was as good as it got.

So as I said don’t be a mug in thinking that taking the zb will automatically
help you get what you want.Because the real world isn’t fair.With the uk haulage industry being continuously deliberately reduced,to even more of a local multi drop delivery service.Among other ‘opportunities’ in which the only resemblance to to the job of ‘truck driver’ is that it sometimes involves driving a ‘truck’ around locally,as a small part of the main job of Labourer/mobile plant operative etc etc.

IE a world away from the call of the open road which is what motivates most drivers to enter the industry.On that note do you really think that ‘jetting drains’ will mean anything to any employer other than one offering the same type of work.Just as plenty of background in multi drop or Hiab deliveries etc will just get you more of it. :unamused:

CookieMonster:

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

(admittedly, sometimes turning down permanent positions because they didn’t suit me

Congrts on the tanker job. Im in simular situation were I won’t apply for jobs witch don’t suit me.

A.Harris76:
Congrts on the tanker job. Im in simular situation were I won’t apply for jobs witch don’t suit me.

Ironically it might eventually be driver resistance,to the type and increasingly disproportionate amounts of, ‘crap’ work out there.Which just might help to tip the balance towards a more road transport friendly transport policy.Which by default of its nature provides better quality work opportunities.

What is certain from the numerous relentless adverts is that there seems to be no major enthusiastic take up of such jobs by the employers’ favoured tool of the use of immigrant labour.Driver shortage indeed.Yes for the wrong type of work.

Carryfast:

A.Harris76:

Ironically it might eventually be driver resistance,to the type and increasingly disproportionate amounts of, ‘crap’ work out there.Which just might help to tip the balance towards a more road transport friendly transport policy.Which by default of its nature provides better quality work opportunities.

What is certain from the numerous relentless adverts is that there seems to be no major enthusiastic take up of such jobs by the employers’ favoured tool of the use of immigrant labour.Driver shortage indeed.Yes for the wrong type of work.

Talking your usual ■■■■■■■■ there cf…

Employers don’t use/choose foreign labour because it’s cheap or as an “f u” to UK workers, they use them because they are not workshy and turn up to interviews with a can do attitude unlike the “what’s in it for me” lazy [zb]ers that this country produces, it might also explain your current employment status.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

Carryfast:

CookieMonster:

I started driving for a living a little over 5 years ago, and I set myself the goal of becoming a fuel tanker driver within 10 years. I did 2 years on class 2 before getting my class 1. I was working only for agencies up until 18 months ago (admittedly, sometimes turning down permanent positions because they didn’t suit me at the time.

So you turned down stuff when it suited you and took some crap to pay the bills.Which is what I said. :confused:

While in my experience I did 5 years on class 2 as a council driver which covered everything from sometimes spending all day in the yard as a labourer to plant haulage and bulk refuse/tipper work using a 4 wheeler multi lift,if not lighter WF’s and TJ tippers ( bearing in mind the difference between class 2 v class 3 then ).So by your logic you’d think by the 4 th year of that I’d have got a break onto international drawbar work at which point I also upgraded my licence to class 1.But no notwithstanding the ‘lucky’ break onto night trunking,a forced layoff for a while on agency got me lumbered with scaffolding/building deliveries work involving more labouring than driving and 7.5 t Multi Drop ( at this point with a class 1 let alone class 2 ).Meanwhile from what I’ve seen younger people were jumping straight into international jobs behind me with no need for the experience issue which I’d continuously had used against me to the point where the rest of my career on uk night trunking was as good as it got.

So as I said don’t be a mug in thinking that taking the zb will automatically
help you get what you want.Because the real world isn’t fair.With the uk haulage industry being continuously deliberately reduced,to even more of a local multi drop delivery service.Among other ‘opportunities’ in which the only resemblance to to the job of ‘truck driver’ is that it sometimes involves driving a ‘truck’ around locally,as a small part of the main job of Labourer/mobile plant operative etc etc.

IE a world away from the call of the open road which is what motivates most drivers to enter the industry.On that note do you really think that ‘jetting drains’ will mean anything to any employer other than one offering the same type of work.Just as plenty of background in multi drop or Hiab deliveries etc will just get you more of it. :unamused:

If you think getting experience in one type of work is only beneficial to employers doing exactly the same thing then it’s no wonder others have progressed around and beyond you.
The vast majority of jobs I’ve had are in no way relevant to what I do now once i get out of the cab. But I can say to a prospective employer, ‘I’ve done all these jobs, I’m adaptable. I can learn new skills quickly, so it won’t cost you a fortune to train me. I’ve worked every possible shift, so I’m flexible. I can solve problems, don’t mind getting my hands dirty, and have a good attitude towards working’.
These are the things an employer wants to hear. You have to be able to sell yourself, make yourself seem like a valuable commodity, leave them with no reason why they shouldn’t hire you over anybody else. People who see this, and can do it, progress. Those who can’t, like you and the OP, stay where you are and make excuses.