Really struggling

Passed C2 in Dec-18 with a career change in mind, havent driven rigids since then. Really struggling to even get an interview, let alone job. Have applied for every single C2 job on job websites within 30 miles and have also rung others that aren’t even advertising and just dropped my details in and enquired. Having absolutely no luck, any other tips or firms to try get in at? Am based in Scunthorpe N lincs. Only ‘must’ is full time, I’m happy to give anything a try and 100%, any hours, days / nights, tramping / trunking.

I passed in May signed up to every agency and always got 5 shifts a week, been at the same place for 3 weeks and have now been offered a perm contract. So I would say sign up with blue arrow, best connection, labour4u, pertemps etc I have found pertemps and labour4u to be the best for me. Or you can go door knocking Good luck

You’re always going to struggle getting full time work until you’ve got experience, unless you’re lucky enough to know someone. Get registered with as many agencies as you can find, and tell them you’re willing to do pretty much anything. If you’ve got the money to do it, go for your class 1 as well, will increase your options and your chances of finding work significantly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have you loaded car boot with work gear then gone to companies to hand CV personally to the TM especially early mornings :question:

Class 1 would likely help a lot round there with the steel works and numerous companies linked to that. Admittedly its looking a bit iffy at British Steel but many of the associated companies take their stock from other places.

Have you been to the industrial estate passed ASDA mega bigger big store going out of town (M180 end) as theres quite a few companies down there who do logistics or were last time I was there at least.

Best bet are pallet companies. Anyone mentioning Palletforce, Palletways, UPN etc would be good as they often need staff and take on new drivers.

Don’t give up as it took me 6 months but theres always someone who needs a driver, although agencies do tend to find them admittedly.

I’d suggest signing up with an agency or two, while making it clear you’re actually looking for a permanent/full time placement (many drivers are not - some want to max their hours regardless, some only want an odd few days here and there, some don’t want multi-drop, some don’t want early starts, some don’t want late starts!).

It’s what I did when I went through the career change thing 13 years ago. After a couple of odd days/weeks here and there, I started full time with one employer and was offered permanent employment a couple of months later.
I’m still (through the vagaries of TUPE legislation) effectively working for the same outfit 12 years later…

If you are ok with tramping, then look further afield. If you are prepared to commute ac100 miles twice a week, then that gives you the south east , possibly Leeds and Manchester, but the pay should be better further south.

I had 2 drivers worked for me that lived 200 miles from base.

Grimsby/Scunthorpe driver hire have plenty of work. I think they take cat c with no experience. Give them a ring.

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv%20c … 263bb2e8db

Class 2 HGV C Multidrop Driver
Driver Hire Lincoln

Lincoln
Temporary
£9.50 - £14.00 an hour
Driver Hire Lincoln are recruiting class 2 HGV C Drivers to work within the pallet network for our client based in the Lincoln area.

Duties:

07:00 starts until finish (average shift 8-10 hours).

Completing up to 15 pallet deliveries per day.

Using electric and manual pump trucks to maneuver the goods.

Hand ball when required.

Covering all post codes within the region.

Immediate starts available.

Benefits:

Hourly rate - £9.50 - £14.00 when paid through PAYE

Umbrella rates available

Being part of a large company, which can offer career progression and depending on performance, a full time permanent role can be offered.

The successful applicant will possess;

Valid class 2 HGV cat C licence

Valid DCPC qualification card

Valid digital tachograph card

Personal transport

Hi-vis and safety boots

Newly qualified drivers welcome!

To apply or for more information, please call us on 01522 842999, or send your CV to Lincoln@driverhire.co.uk

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv%20c … 692ea2ec66

:slight_smile:
Click on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152881

…scroll down a bit to my post…
:sunglasses:

And like magic, i’ve been offered my first interview next week! It’s driving a rigid non hazardous tanker so sounds really interesting so am doubting myself already. What kind of questions can i expect with me having no previous interview (hgv) experience?

Have tried all the agencies and nowhere can help with full time, i’ve said am willing to do any hours at a weekend but its tough going in to firms as Im currently doing 8-5 mon- fri.

Cheers again

SUFCMark:
And like magic, i’ve been offered my first interview next week! It’s driving a rigid non hazardous tanker so sounds really interesting so am doubting myself already. What kind of questions can i expect with me having no previous interview (hgv) experience?

Have tried all the agencies and nowhere can help with full time, i’ve said am willing to do any hours at a weekend but its tough going in to firms as Im currently doing 8-5 mon- fri.

Cheers again

If your interview is for a permanent position then the ‘interview’ will probably consist of them telling you about the job. Most companies are pretty good and cover most bases and will answer most of your questions before you can even ask them.
Do a bit of research in to the company before you go, always makes a good impression and makes you look keen and like you actually want the job.
General questions to ask would be about shift times, what area they cover (eg are they just fairly local or do they go all over the country, lets you know if nights out are likely to be involved)
Being tanker work you could also ask about the products they carry, and possibly mention about further training opportunities if they have class 1 vehicles or do ADR work.
All practical aspects of the job will be covered with training, so ask how long you will be training before you go out on your own.
Other than that, just enjoy your interview. They have called you in for a reason, they clearly see something in you. All the best with it mate, tankers can be a bit daunting at first, and they take a bit of getting used to, not only driving but also loading and unloading, but once you get the hang of it, it’s the easiest job in the world!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Basically what cookie monster said.

I used to interview people and it counts for a lot that you are clean, reasonably smart and try to not look too nervous. I know it’s your first interview… You may be asked to do an assessment drive, so either wear work clothes or take overalls with you. I’d go for the former on the grounds that you aren’t applying to be a barrister :wink:

What was important to me as well, was did the interviewee look as if they would reflect the firm well, so that rules out loud mouths.

Try not to worry, dont lie about anything and good luck.

SUFCMark:
Passed C2 in Dec-18 with a career change in mind, havent driven rigids since then. Really struggling to even get an interview, let alone job. Have applied for every single C2 job on job websites within 30 miles and have also rung others that aren’t even advertising and just dropped my details in and enquired. Having absolutely no luck, any other tips or firms to try get in at? Am based in Scunthorpe N lincs. Only ‘must’ is full time, I’m happy to give anything a try and 100%, any hours, days / nights, tramping / trunking.

Hears a tip that worked for me, After one and half years of getting no where applying for jobs (I didn’t go knocking on doors btw) I did this.

Bought a cheap van stuck a load of insulation to the inside put a flettner air vent in, made a wooden bed and ratcheted it into the van.
All with the view of sleeping in my van if need be.

Extended my work application radius to about 150 miles from where I lived, and applied for lots of jobs.

Quite literally a week later I had a interview and a full time class 2 tramping job, 90 percent of the time I sleep in my truck but sometimes I have kip in the back of my van at the depo.

I commute about 160 miles (round trip) once a week so as to get to work and back home again at the weekend.

All this seems a bit drastic but as a new pass beggars cant be choosers.

@ carlston49

I’m sure you mean well but the second advert in your post is nothing more than a generic agency advert to fill their books with names and in my opinion should be removed.

The day should never come when Trucknet-UK becomes a board for generic agency adverts for what will mostly be none existent jobs.

tachograph:
@ carlston49

I’m sure you mean well but the second advert in your post is nothing more than a generic agency advert to fill their books with names and in my opinion should be removed.

The day should never come when Trucknet-UK becomes a board for generic agency adverts for what will mostly be none existent jobs.

Removed but I do not think it was meant intentionally

DHL up Scunny are taking fresh pass class 2 at the moment. I’ve been at the Rugby depot for a week now and one of my trainers was from the Scunthorpe depot. Provided you pass the driving assessment, they’re happy to take you. The work isn’t THAT bad, mainly chilled and frozen drops. I’m generally a lazy pleb, and I’m handling it just fine.

Wildarmtins:
DHL up Scunny are taking fresh pass class 2 at the moment. I’ve been at the Rugby depot for a week now and one of my trainers was from the Scunthorpe depot. Provided you pass the driving assessment, they’re happy to take you. The work isn’t THAT bad, mainly chilled and frozen drops. I’m generally a lazy pleb, and I’m handling it just fine.

They were taking drivers in Livingston too but when I applied they phoned me to tell me they were only interested in drivers with experience.