Go big or go home?

Hi guys

I recently passed my class 2 on my third attempt, failed twice with 1 minor and 1 major each time. Cant tell you how hard i wanted to kick myself lol

Ended up costing me an extra £500 quid but better to come away with the pass than not at all i suppose. Like many others here getting that first gig is proving challenging and a cause for some anxiety when I finally do get my chance. I’ve only been on the job hunt for 2 weeks but most of the job leads i’ve had all turn out to be multi-drop 10 - 20 drops a day on average. I’m sure theres many that enjoy this kind of work but I think I’d much prefer trunking or long distance with fewer drops a day. I can imagine its alot less stress for a new drivers having to deal with hunting down less addresses everyday.

I had planned to go for my class 1 after getting some hours behind the wheel and atleast seeing my investment back for my training so far, but now im wondering if I should just jump straight on to class 1 in hopes of finding the type of work I’d prefer. Just looking for some advice from experienced drivers if I should get some hours behind the wheel first or invest more money in hopes it pays off.

:smiley: :smiley:

As a general rule, the bigger the vehicle, the less drops you do (van 80-100, rigid 10-20, artic 3-5). Obviously this isn’t always the case, but you get the idea. Always worth going for your class 1 if you can afford it, but be patient, even then you might have to put up with a few crap jobs while you get some experience

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Firstly congratulations on passing your class 2 pal.

I’m in the same boat as you, passed 2 weeks ago or there abouts and trying to get that first gig. Lots of jobs want 6 months to a year it seems before they will give you a chance.

Jobs I see advertised most are the same as ones your seeing 20 to 30 drops, double manned, assembling things in customers house etc.

Try adjusting your job search to have ‘New pass’ in the terms on google or jobs boards. I did this yesterday and this found me a bunch of jobs aimed at new pass that I hadn’t seen and there were some decent looking ones I applied for.

I’ve booked in to do my class 1 at the end of July to open up as many doors and work types as possible, I’d advise if you really want to drive and also want to do class 1 then go for it too as will give you more options

Good luck on the hunt and dont give up, I know a few guys who drive and they all say that once you get a first job it makes getting subsequent ones easier.

Good luck and let us know how you get along [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Go big, get the class 1 if that’s the work you want