New C class driver and work

Hi…I passed my C class on Friday just gone…Ive never even driven a van before and passed first time...somebody was definately up there to guide me as Id been “kerbing” a bit in the 5 day course and even managed a “kerb” on the morning of the test…But,I managed to hold it all together for when it mattered… :smiley:
But now it seems the hardest part of all begins…Im looking out for a job but it appears that everybody wants experience...needless to say and I can well understand why. :frowning: Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im in S.W.London/Surrey
Thanks.

:slight_smile:

And I also want to go for my class 1 soon…How much experience with class 2 do you think I should really have before I try ? :confused:

…Im pretty sure Ive learned my lesson regarding “kerbs” (first post) though there`s obviously a great deal more involved with class 1.

Once again…Thanks.

GET DOWN TO THE AGENCEYS

and ask for some work ,Xmass

is on its way and they will need drivers

get some experience behind you

and at the same time look around

through to see hwere you get

the best training and take it from there.

all the best with the job search,

Hi,
I guess you will see this advice quite a bit on here,but try registering with 1 or 2 driving agencies in your area, will get you experience of different vehicles and different situations, stands you in good stead, and good practical exp. You probly wont get a STEADY flow of work at first, I tend to get 2 or sumtimes 3 days a week, but its all good experience. There ARE places who will consider you for full-time work as a newly qualified driver, you just have to persevere on that 1, and be in the right place at the right time i think!

On the subject of class 1, I am doing mine now, and only passed class 2 in September, there are things to be said on both sides, but the instructors thought that doing the class 1 straight away was better, as you are still in “test mode”, and havnt picked up too many bad habits.

Anyway, all the best with your search for work, but I would definitely try the agencies 1st!!!

Cheers

Steve

Hi mate, I too had next to no experience of driving large vehicles before i passed both my cat c & cat c+e august this year. All i did when i’d passed was email as many transport companies as i could find in the local area. Told them all i had just passed & got a job offer the day after i emailed them. I was told i’d be on 7.5 ton for a few weeks, then onto class 2 for a while then maybe onto class 1. However after driving 7.5 ton for 3 days on my first week i was told they were putting me on the artics on my second week. Been driving artics ever since but still have alot to learn. (See my posts second week drivind artic)
I would say to you do your class 1 straight away while the trainings still fresh in your mind!! Then just start contacting different companies. Agency work is ok as i did 2 days on class 2 with 1 but i didnt like not knowing where i would be working or if i would even have work. I live in shepperton so not far from you.
Goodluck mate!!

Thanks all… :slight_smile:

I passed my class 2 in July then left it a month just to catch my breath before booking my class 1 which I passed 2nd attempt last week.

I still havent had any experience out on my own yet but Ive managed to get both my licences at least, worked a treat for me.

On Saturday I emailed every agency I came across on the 1st page of google results so I guess Ive just gotta play the waiting game now, I dont want to quit my job yet so Im just gonna try and get some part time agency work just to get some experience, I know it will be a struggle and I will get all the crap work to start with but thats fine, thats what us newbies are there for after-all.

seanh…

Well done with the tests…Im looking at the new year for a class 1 course now but I dont want to let the experience dwindle away…foolishly,I said Id send my licence away instead of the examiner...I wasnt thinking I guess,so I dont have a pass certificate to show either so Ive just got to wait.

Before I start work though I need to sort out a deal of things as I`m a single parent and need to think about the kids both before and after school etc…geeeez…NOTHING is ever easy is it ?.. :wink:

well done on the test pass mate :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:
you should have your licence back before the end of the week so
if lucks on your side you could be out driving next week :open_mouth:

More congrats in order, well done. :smiley:

Agency work seems the way to go if you need to arrange it around school terms and times.
However, if you are going for your class 1 it will impress the agencies a little more even if you are applying for Cat C work.
Makes sense if you have passed two tests on the trot they will know you asre a decent driver and have not passed on a fluke.
Best of luck mate

Well done on passing your test M8 :slight_smile:

Had my cat C+E for a few years now :blush: after driving Cat C before that again for a while :blush: .

As others have said for a new entrant then agency is the place, although I would also look at say Target Express etc. if they want O/D’s in your area they pay around £1200-£1400 a week you are of course responsible for the unit and fuel but still take home more than you would on most agency jobs.(ryder still rent 18T with insurance you can get say a 51 plate at the end of its hire career for about £200 a week if you shop around)

As a new guy the agencies do take the Michael on rates regardless of what class as they know you will take less pay in return for experience. Also avoid the agencies that take you on as class C then have you driving 7.5T multidrop forever. As you know there is no comparison so no point doing it for experience in fact in my opinion it does more harm than good.

Good Luck “and keep watching those mirrors” :smiley: