Helpful Intro Advice

Hi All,

I’ve been a member for a while but never posted. I work on trucks carrying out wheel alignment but I’m not qualified to drive them. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, it’s quite confusing, what licenses I would need in order to be able to drive tractor units and rigids without trailers literally just rolling the vehicle and maybe a small test drive so I can do my job a bit more efficiently.

Thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

Tom

AFAIK (And I’d wait for confirmation on this) You would need a Category C licence, minimum, to drive rigids and units (no trailer) on the road.
You won’t need a CPC or tacho card as long as it is NOT a part of your main job, and the word “Driver” is not in your job title, e.g. “Fitter/Driver” is a no no.

steviespain is correct. Just be careful with the driver cpc. But, from your description, you don’t need it. Definitely CAT C if no trailers involved.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

coady2311:
I’ve been a member for a while but never posted. I work on trucks carrying out wheel alignment but I’m not qualified to drive them. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, it’s quite confusing, what licenses I would need in order to be able to drive tractor units and rigids without trailers literally just rolling the vehicle and maybe a small test drive so I can do my job a bit more efficiently.

My advice is to do all 4 modules. Modules 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4.

Although you only need modules 1a, 1b, and 3 to get your LGV Category C (also known as HGV Class 2) driving licence, you won’t be able to drive professionally without passing modules 2 and 4.

Modules 2 and 4 will give you your CPC card. Module 2 is gained off the back of module 1a as it’s the same reading material. The module 2 questions are like module 1a questions, just asked in a different way.

Module 2 only costs £23. See the government website for details.

gov.uk/driving-test-cost

You have to pass module 2 before you can pass module 4.

Exemption form DCPC in place for mechanics test driving LGVs