Newbie Questions

Hi All,
Brand new here, also new to this industry.
I’m trying to understand a few things… which are not so obvious (at least to me)

But here’s the background:
I’m an I.T. guy (computer geek), but work is dead as you all know.
One of my close relatives has offered me a job from london to Birmingham every day in a 3.5 tonne van. But said I will need to take a training course and get my CPC.
I’ve read the book by Clive Pidgeon (it was cheaper than the DVSA one on Amazon Kindle)
I bought the Driving test success DVD to test myself on what I have learned and usually fail 5-6 out of the 50 questions (3 attempts).
I’m also watching YouTube videos on the CPC.
I then bought the DVSA book which I am now reading.

Questions:

1. Do I need to do Module 4 if I will only be driving a 3.5 tonne van (which is already a vehicle I can drive on my normal license)
  2. I am self studying, would you recommend that I go to a training centre?
  3. Do I need to apply for a provisional LGV license?
  4. Will my car insurance be affected negative or positively?
  5. The Test price is £23 but why do the test centres charge 3-5 times the amount?
  6. Can anyone recommend any test centre/training centre close to Birmingham/West Midlands
  7. Finally, what could be looking to earn from such a job?

Vehicles not over 3.5 tonnes are outside the need for driver cpc - that is law

ROG is right, you will not need driver CPC for 3.5 tonne.
You will only need that if it’s over 3.5 tonne. Then you would have to do module 2 which would be the £23 and module 4 exam £55. The test centres normally charge more for the module 4 as this would also involve training.
Wages vary so much so would be impossible to say. Depends on what you are carrying, the company etc.
If the vehicle is over 3.5 tonne then you would need your 7.5 tonne license, driver CPC and a digital tachograph.
Hope this helps.

Paul@PSTT:
ROG is right, you will not need driver CPC for 3.5 tonne.
You will only need that if it’s over 3.5 tonne. Then you would have to do module 2 which would be the £23 and module 4 exam £55. The test centres normally charge more for the module 4 as this would also involve training.
Wages vary so much so would be impossible to say. Depends on what you are carrying, the company etc.
If the vehicle is over 3.5 tonne then you would need your 7.5 tonne license, driver CPC and a digital tachograph.
Hope this helps.

Hi both, thanks for the feedback its really helpful.
I think I may be checking the tachos for the drivers before and after they go out. He did elude to this but I was unsure.
I don’t really want to ask him too much to be honest.

So if the vehicle is a 3.5 tonne van and then has stock/shipment added on top would that also count as needing a 7.5 tonne license? If so I think I will need a license

A 3.5 tonne van cannot weigh more than 3.5 tonne when fully loaded so loaded or empty the rule is the same

Are you going to be towing?

Some vans can be in the ~5 tonne category, so they are plated accordingly and the maximum mass including load is 5 tonne, putting them in a category where CPC is required. It is possible you have the category C1 on your licence and the relative knows this. In this case, the CPC would be the main barrier before you could drive the vehicle. Sounds like you need to clarify with the relative what the plated weight of the vehicle is and why the CPC is necessary exactly.

ROG:
A 3.5 tonne van cannot weigh more than 3.5 tonne when fully loaded so loaded or empty the rule is the same

Are you going to be towing?

No Towing mate

Noremac:
Some vans can be in the ~5 tonne category, so they are plated accordingly and the maximum mass including load is 5 tonne, putting them in a category where CPC is required. It is possible you have the category C1 on your licence and the relative knows this. In this case, the CPC would be the main barrier before you could drive the vehicle. Sounds like you need to clarify with the relative what the plated weight of the vehicle is and why the CPC is necessary exactly.

I think I may be looking after the day to day of the business at some point.

Sounds like there is a bit of confusion. There is also a Transport Manager’s CPC, which might make sense if you are looking at being a manager and there are in scope vehicles in the fleet. Certainly you don’t need CPC to drive a 3.5 tonne van in any case.

Noremac:
Sounds like there is a bit of confusion. There is also a Transport Manager’s CPC, which might make sense if you are looking at being a manager and there are in scope vehicles in the fleet. Certainly you don’t need CPC to drive a 3.5 tonne van in any case.

So he said “Road Transport Manager” but then he also offered me a run to London.
Is the Transport manager’s CPC different? Is it a different exam?

The Transport Manager’s cpc is completely different to a driver cpc.

I recommend you spend some time in the industry before even thinking about attempting it. It’s not as straightforward as it used to be.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

novadata.co.uk/sec/292/Tran … nager-CPC/
I think this site explains it ok

Oh wow!
I think i’m not going to enjoy the qualification process. :slight_smile:
I’ve got a good grasp of the main elements but will probably as suggested get some experience first in the industry.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I hope to update you all on how I get on.