Hi all, looking at The HGV driving world as my next occupation. I hold C+E but havent driven one in some time, so I am completeing a driving course(no test fee!) to get back into it. Along with DCPC for Transport Managers (I have a training fund). I am ex Military so have exeriance in driving but a different, sort, if you like. Just though i would introduce myself to this forum. Lots of info on hear that will no doubt help me in achieving my next goal in life. Doing the Training with TIR in beverley hopefully.

Can I ask why you are doing a CPC for transport managers?

If its just driving HGV you want to do, then you need the drivers (periodic) CPC not transport managers. If I’ve said wrong, I’m sure someone on here will kick my ■■■■ over it! :wink:

Respect to you (ex-military) and all current.

I have funding for the course which has to be at Level 3 or above, so the DCPC for Managers fits the bill and gives me some qualifications i could maybe use in the future

There is the operators (managers) CPC

There is the Driver CPC

The two are completely seperate

Some operator CPC courses are also Driver CPC approved for X amount of hours but you would need to check that with the operator course provider - Driver cpc approved means the course will cost more

If you passed your car test beofre 1997 or had any LGV category on your licence before 10/09/2009 then you will be on aquired/grandfather rights for the periodic driver CPC and will have until 09/09/2014 to complete the 35 periodic Dcpc hours so that you can still drive LGVs commercially after that date

If you did not pass your car test before 1997 and did not have any LGV category on your licence before 10/09/2009 then you must pass the two initial driver CPC modules before being legally allowed to drive any LGV commercially - the MOD seem unaware of this fact and many drivers leaving the forces are noow coming up against this issue