Agency Test

After completing my CPC courses recently and now trying to get some Class 2 work, I have appointments with a couple of agencies on Monday and they have said that there will be a bit of a test to complete while I am there.
I didn’t want to start asking them what type of stuff is asked so has anybody been through this and know if it is like a full on exam or just a general understanding of driver hours etc?

Very basic questions regarding drivers hour, street signs and rules of the road. If you can’t pass it you shouldn’t be behind the wheel.

harrawaffa:
Very basic questions regarding drivers hour, street signs and rules of the road. If you can’t pass it you shouldn’t be behind the wheel.

Cheers for that, I thought it might be but just wondered how much detail they might go in to

They probably wont even bother to check it as I doubt anyone there understands the rules. Its just so they can say to the clients wee check every driver, but not on useful stuff.

From memory Manpower gives you 3 15 minute tests on a computer - Basically just about driving laws, what certain signs mean (Height/Width/Weight restrictions) etc And one of the tests will be on tacho and driver hours and might give you a scenario to read and answer questions on
All Multiple Choice so the answer is in front of you so nothing to worry about

The Best Connection gave me a paper based “quiz” about drivers hours and basic geography, like asking the name of the motorway that connects one city to another for example

I don’t think ExtraStaff or Driver Hire do anything like that.

Remember to find out if you are PAYE or Ltd Company and how that suits you with regards to any fees etc.

Very basic mate and any incorrect answers they explain the correct ones! Pointless tbh but hey hoo!

basically it means if you can walk ( or limp ) and chew chewing gum at the same time,your in and on the books.

Hyh:
From memory Manpower gives you 3 15 minute tests on a computer - Basically just about driving laws, what certain signs mean (Height/Width/Weight restrictions) etc And one of the tests will be on tacho and driver hours and might give you a scenario to read and answer questions on
All Multiple Choice so the answer is in front of you so nothing to worry about

The Best Connection gave me a paper based “quiz” about drivers hours and basic geography, like asking the name of the motorway that connects one city to another for example

I don’t think ExtraStaff or Driver Hire do anything like that.

Remember to find out if you are PAYE or Ltd Company and how that suits you with regards to any fees etc.

Funnily enough one of the agencies is Manpower, thanks for that :smiley:

NorthernApe:

When I first started with Manpower, they gave me not so great work to begin with to make sure you turn up on time, don’t damage the vehicles etc. After a couple weeks things got much better
Manpower is one of the main providers to Royal Mail nationally and generally easy and well paying work for what you do there so worth asking about.

When I signed up, Manpower wanted 2 passport size photos for one of their ID badges - Only agency I found that did that sort of thing.

Out of the probably 6 or 7 agencies I’ve signed up with over the years, Manpower has probably been the best…Or least disappointing :wink:

Hyh:

NorthernApe:

When I first started with Manpower, they gave me not so great work to begin with to make sure you turn up on time, don’t damage the vehicles etc. After a couple weeks things got much better
Manpower is one of the main providers to Royal Mail nationally and generally easy and well paying work for what you do there so worth asking about.

When I signed up, Manpower wanted 2 passport size photos for one of their ID badges - Only agency I found that did that sort of thing.

Out of the probably 6 or 7 agencies I’ve signed up with over the years, Manpower has probably been the best…Or least disappointing :wink:

Had the meeting with them and another agency today and Manpower was certainly a bit of a grueller tbh. 3 hours in total filling forms out and 45 questions on a computer with some quite tricky. They have mentioned Royal Mail but possibly starting on 7.5 ton trucks and working up from there

NorthernApe:
Had the meeting with them and another agency today and Manpower was certainly a bit of a grueller tbh. 3 hours in total filling forms out and 45 questions on a computer with some quite tricky. They have mentioned Royal Mail but possibly starting on 7.5 ton trucks and working up from there

The 7.5 Ton work isn’t a bad start, you’ll get practice reversing in tighter spots than you would take a Class 2, Get a Sunday night shift on 7.5 Ton and you’re laughing with regards to pay rate.
At the mail centre/VOC I’m working at this week, a lot of the 7.5T RM permanent staff have their Class 1 but prefer the generally easier 7.5T work.

If you think that was fun, wait for the RM Site induction thingy-Whatever they call it, that’s lots of fun… :wink: