Just a quick (late!) hello

Hello all,
I have posted a few times already but just thought I would introduce myself properly.
I am a 46 year old in a dead end office job and thought I MAY fancy a change and look into a dead end driving job instead !
I enjoy driving but mechanically I am hopeless so that’s a disadvantage for a start.
My long term plan is to do what a mate of mine did about 15 years ago and I would like to become an owner driver , probably of a tipper or concrete truck. I am aware that this is a huge financial “gamble” but I have been out with him and spoken about what it all entails and like I say its a possibility I could go down this route. Its the having to pass the course to basically allow me to be my own transport manager and all of that which puts me off a little bit. It all seems like an administrative nightmare becoming a franchise driver in all honesty.
My short term plan is to get my licence ! :laughing:
Passed my medical, I have got my provisional and have just ordered the 2015 theory test book from off ebay . Does this book include all of the road signs or do I need to get another book with those in ? I will be looking into some hazard perception information as well in the next few weeks.
Then it will be onto my practical test , I am thinking of using MTS in Wolverhampton (saw them listed on here) after originally considering Central Transport Training. I couldn’t see them listed anywhere on here so it put me off them a bit.
When/If I pass my test would I have to do the initial cpc before I could start to look at possible weekend driving jobs in order to gain experience?
Thanks for reading and sorry to have bored you all. Any comments good or bad WILL be taken on board , I promise ! :smiley:

Speaking from my experience…so far, did you pass your car test before 1997?

I did mate yes, this is why I THINK I could be exempt from the initial cpc training ?

Yes you can take module 2 and 4 or the 35 hours, I have opted for the 35 hours, first of which starts this Thursday. I feel I will learn more than just taking tests.

With me holding down a full time job it will be hard to get those 35 hours in , that could me my problem :frowning: . I think I can do it over weekends though.

Me too, it’s taking me til the end of September, I have booked holiday days for when cpc doesn’t coincide with days off.

Truth:
… considering Central Transport Training. I couldn’t see them listed anywhere on here so it put me off them a bit.

Hi Truth,

CTT are on the TN list, and they’re listed as “CENTRAL” under “Staffordshire.”

They’re not to be confused with CTT in Bedfordshire though, even though the initials are the same.

:bulb: So now you have a choice. :smiley:

Decisions , decisions :laughing: . CTT are cheaper than MTS but the MTS training is guaranteed to be one to one, not sure if that’s a good or bad thing though to be honest. Might be better to watch others and learn as opposed to constantly be driving but I suppose that’s personal choice…
I was expecting loads of people to shoot my ideas down in flames , I almost wanted it to happen to slow me up ! :laughing:
I must admit I always thought it would be a difficult journey but NOT as difficult as it is going to be after looking into it.

Hello all,
I am posting to basically thank everyone on here for their advice and help over the past few weeks. I have decided, after pondering long and hard while on holiday in Tenerife not to take the gamble :frowning:
Perhaps I need to grow some but I am just not in the right frame of mind to go for it. We have new owners at work now so if things change here and I was made redundant I WOULD go back to my original plan. I would have the financial security then for a few months while I obtained my licence.
Anyway I have a the official 2015 DVSA Theory Test for drivers of large vehicles if anyone wants it for £8 delivered. Just drop me a PM if you do.
I will still be coming onto the site regularly just to keep my “eye in” but its so long for now and thanks again to all that have replied to my questions.
Good luck to you all and be lucky
All the best
Truth

Truth:
Hello all,
I am posting to basically thank everyone on here for their advice and help over the past few weeks. I have decided, after pondering long and hard while on holiday in Tenerife not to take the gamble :frowning:
Perhaps I need to grow some but I am just not in the right frame of mind to go for it. We have new owners at work now so if things change here and I was made redundant I WOULD go back to my original plan. I would have the financial security then for a few months while I obtained my licence.
Anyway I have a the official 2015 DVSA Theory Test for drivers of large vehicles if anyone wants it for £8 delivered. Just drop me a PM if you do.
I will still be coming onto the site regularly just to keep my “eye in” but its so long for now and thanks again to all that have replied to my questions.
Good luck to you all and be lucky
All the best
Truth

Oh well what a shame you decided not to go ahead with Driver Training. - I hated working in a office & currently hate being stuck in one place in a building.