CPC advice

So I passed my Class C practical test on Friday just gone. I’ve got the chance to start my CPC classroom training very soon and complete it on consecutive days. I’ve had my driving licence since 1993 so I know this makes a difference. I’d like advice as I think it’s probably better to get it all out of the way and get my CPC card then focus on getting my first job. Would people agree? I have the money and I can then just top up my CPC over the next 5 years as normal. Obviously I need to send my licence in to add Cat C driving entitlement. Any other options at this stage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you passed Mod 4? That would possibly be another route. Whichever way, you need to get your cpc sorted before you can start driving for work.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Have you passed Mod 4?

Pre 97 car licence so I say no to mod 4 and has opted to do the 35 hours instead

Sounds like it but he’s asking for options. Though it seems pretty obvious tbh.

Thank you gents. Not passed Mod 4. I’ll take the 35 hours route. I have to do it all anyway in the next 5 years plus I need my CPC card too. Just wasn’t certain as to my options. Considering I first got in a truck a week ago it’s all rattling along at a pace. Appreciate your advice.

Surely doing module 4 is the easiest way to do it. I did my module 4 the day before my class 2 practical and the module 4 test only took like 30 mins if I’m lucky. Was given a sheet of paper at the start of the week and was told to look over it then did a few practice questions and was shown how the chains and tensioners worked and how the bar worked too. Didn’t even need to show the examiner how to use them on the test

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Some sets of questions on test don’t include the demonstration trolley but many do. So certainly not ever worth risking if anyone was thinking about it!

Good advice Pete. Was fortunate to get on a 5 day consecutive CPC course that started today 10 minutes from my house. I only called them yesterday. As it’s all classroom I know that doesn’t necessarily benefit me in terms of practical application but at least after it finishes this Saturday I can get my CPC card. I can figure out practical help after that. It’s an alien world to me but this forum is a big mine of info and advice.

Pleased you’re sorted. If you’ve got a good cpc instructor, and they vary considerably, you will be much more knowledgeable by the end of the week. I hope you don’t just wait for Saturday to come. Make sure you ask questions. Too many folks sit, bored out of their mind, and wont join in and ask.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I agree Pete. A few of the more seasoned drivers there today weren’t there because they wanted to be and seemed to resent it. Personally, with my very limited experience so far, I think CPC is broadly a good thing. Until I studied for my theory and hazard perception tests I hadn’t looked at the Highway Code in 25 years. Shame on me but until I started my learning process I didn’t even own a copy. I keep it to hand now. My instructor seems very good. He’s also a car driving instructor part time but I came away feeling I’d learnt some things and refreshed my knowledge on other things.

Yet again I’m having to ask a question. I would have thought by now I would have all this sorted.

So if pre 1997 do you have the option of mod 1 & 3 and 35 hours to complete the CPC OR can you do modules 1-4 and skip the 35 hours?

Yes, you have the choice. BUT it can be difficult to book the case studies (Mod 2) with a pre 97 licence. This is because one computer system doesn’t get on well with another. There is a way where it can be arranged but it’s convoluted. However, if anyone wants help with this, just call us on 01623 555661 and we’ll go through it with them.

It’s simple to establish if there’s a problem. Simply go onto the gov.uk website for theory test bookings and see if it will allow a Mod 2 booking with your own details. If it does, great. If not, call us.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: