CPC question

Hey folks,

I have managed to save enough to do my Module 4 initial CPC.

I just need to phone Ritchies to arrange training and test.

Can anyone give me any tips on what to expect?

Cheers as always

A couple of things. Firstly, the Mod 4 is very much a practical demonstration test. It’s good to talk the examiner through what you’re doing but, unless you actually carry out the check you’re meant to be doing, you wont pass. Secondly, you’ve choosen a reputable provider. Trust them to train you correctly and you’ll be fine.

There’s loads of advice that folk can give - but trust your trainer. All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete.

I found Ritchies to be fantastic when I was doing my Cat C training with them I just couldn’t afford the extra cash to do my initial cpc at that time. I intend to go back to Ritchies to do my C+E hopefully around March 2012

In all honesty just go through everyone possible thing that enters your head any you will be fine. I followed everything I was taught and on paper and got 100% last week or both Cat C and D.

I took my Mod 4 with Ritchies a few weeks back after getting the run around from several different companies and found them dead friendly and helpful.

I went in a week prior to the test to book and they gave me a list of all the questions that can be asked by the examiner with bullet point answers, There were about 12 or so over 5 sections but some were the same questions just worded differently so not too hard to remember once you start going over it!

You also get a checklist for the last question about the daily checks inside and out which you can use on the test and a sheet on fire extinguisher colours if you get asked about a vehicle fire.

I had my training on the Thurs afternoon and the test on Sat afternoon tho they said i could come in on Fri too for a refresh if nec.
The training lasted a cpl of hours which was fine for me, Jim the trainer took me around the truck and went through each question on the sheet in depth explaining everything clearly (so even a dunce like me could understand :slight_smile: ) and showing me the relevant parts of the truck. I was bricking it at first as I’d never seen the type of truck before but it’s all part of the learning experience! :laughing:
After the questions and daily checks were done Jim showed me the demonstration trolley and how to use the ropes,tensioner bar,ratchets and chain tensioner. I’d never done a dolly knot before so I was pleased to pick it up quickly! 20 minutes on the restraints and that was it for the day.

So the day of the test I came in about an hour before to go through some last minute questions and had another go on the trolley then we go to the test centre,another bloke came along to do his Mod 4 as well.
As we get there it’s pishing it down and Jim (another Jim) the trainer says this’ll prob be good for us if we get a certain examiner and you’ll do most of the test in the cab.
Sure enough the examiner asked a question about the centre of gravity and where drugs and immigrants could be stashed and halfway through me showing him round he says “thats enough of that i’m getting soaked!”. But you still need to make sure you’re physically checking the areas,kneeling down to check under the truck,opening the fuel tank etc, as they’re still testing you even if they don’t like the rain!

Then it was what device would you use to restrain pallets followed by cockpit check and the daily checks.10 minutes later and a 100% on a nice dry green sheet was given to me :smiley:
I’m glad I went with Ritchies as I’d heard good things on here and the trainers were a good laugh and really helpful too. It might seem like a lot to remember at first but keep going over the the Qs and As and imagine yourself actually going round the truck checking the areas, it’ll soon come naturally, get someone to act out the examiners part and test you in the run up to it.

Best of luck to you Craig!

Cheers adi.

Yeah they are all a great laugh and great at ‘instructing’ too. I hold them in High regard

Hi all I wondering if some one can kindly help me iv got a job interview on the 21st for driveing artics from Edinburgh to penrith with asa so my question is I got my licence in the army I passed my cat C in July 2007 then I passed my C+E in Feb 2010 so for my cpc training do I have to sept 2014 to get it or do I need to do it now sorry for this all these cpc rules confuse me.

bigmac7288:
Hi all I wondering if some one can kindly help me iv got a job interview on the 21st for driveing artics from Edinburgh to penrith with asa so my question is I got my licence in the army I passed my cat C in July 2007 then I passed my C+E in Feb 2010 so for my cpc training do I have to sept 2014 to get it or do I need to do it now sorry for this all these cpc rules confuse me.

If you had your driving licence before 10 September 2009, you must take the CPC periodic training within five years of this date.

I’m not sure if this applies to you. Maybe this will help also; drivercpc.org/en/affects/

bigmac7288:

YES - you had a LGV C before 09 Sept 2009 which means you have aquired/grandfather dcpc rights

35 hours of periodic dcpc before 09/09/2014 if you wish to continue driving LGVs commercially after that date

Not completing the 35 hours does not mean that you lose the LGV licence - just the right to use it commercially