Automatic HGV licence with automatic car licence

m_attt:
So many “drivers” are scared of a manual gearbox it seams. Are they really suitable for 44t?

I don’t think it is “scared” perhaps.

Most manual gearboxes tend to be knackered in my experience. I don’t know why truck drivers cannot change gear with finger and thumb like a car. In my current job most trucks are manual… and almost all gearboxes knackered. I think it is the linkage that just gets worn… which then caused problems engaging. My truck is an older Renault and is much better than later ones.

There’s nothing I like better than a spitter box but only found the Scania one a nice drive… DAFs again seem to suffer wear.

Of course an “Auto” is not in most cases an auto. They are in fact an autoshift - a box on top of a manual box with sensors and software controls the gear selection. [Cars seem to be also getting the autoshift fitted in some cases]. No torque convertor involved apart from the Volvo ‘I-shift’ (I think it is called) and the Allinson which is fitted to dustcarts, gritters and buses. With a torque convertor one gets the ‘creep’ which is great for manoevring as anyone will know from driving the above. I’d love to drive a dustcart again.

Only reason for the autoshift I can deduce is that they are lighter than a true autobox, give better fuel economy and free from driver wear. Trouble is i’ve found they aren’t often set up properly… both new trucks had to go back for maintenance. However, they give little trouble unless moisture gets in and then they are costly to rebuild.

Only my deductions I base this on but from the driver’s point of view I think an auto is a better bet. Up until last year I drove auto and since then found manual not so good. Manual gearboxes should be robust… several months ago I found 5th gear just disappeared… they put in a spare 2nd hand one so I didn’t find out the problem. One expects a manual to be trouble free but it doesn’t seem to be the case with trucks.

Why autos? If the autoshift is a manual with control box… the main reason for their choice is to avoid driver wear!