Wannabe HGV Driver

Hello There,

Im currently 29 and looking for a change of career and have looked into becoming a HGV Driver.My dad used to own his own haulage company but things didnt work out but is currently working for Waitrose.I live in Deal,Kent just near Dover as a taxi driver so looking to upgrade.Anyway can anyone recommend decent training schools down my way?Also im thinking i want to train in a auto but would i be at a disadvantage when i have to look at agency work or is easy enough to get auto trucks?Ive just got the forms thru for the provisional entitlement so got to get the medical and that sorted.Once ive got my class 2 where would i stand with the taxi.driving could i still do that a shift or two on the side?
Sorry for all the questions

Many Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The manual vs auto argument will rumble on for as long as trucks have got wheels! Without a doubt it’s easier to pass on auto. I cant believe any agency would ask what you passed on. Rigid vehicles with 2 axles are normally auto or straight 6 speed. Multi axle rigids are either auto or a more interesting box. Remember that even if you train on a manual, you will only know how that particular gearbox works. And there’s plenty of different ones out there!

We offer both manual and auto so folks have the choice. But if anyone asks, the recommendation is always auto.

Sent you a pm.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you passed your Car test (B) in a manual then you will automatically have manual entitlement on C or C+E even if it is autos you take your test in, manual boxes aren’t that scary once you get the hang of them and can identify the different types, its just for your test its one less thing to have to worry about.

When you’re driving trucks you come into the scope of the EU drivers’ hours regulations. These restrict the amount of work you can do on trucks - - and also any other work. This doesn’t mean you wont be able to do odd shifts with the taxi but it will clip your wings.

Before anyone starts, I am fully aware of the generalisations in my statement. But I believe it will be helpful to the OP.

The stickies near the top of this forum should answer most of your questions and keep you from getting ripped off

There is another member on here who is a taxi driver also has a CE licence & does both her name is Jenni

It can be done but you will have to keep a record of working hours

Here are the driving regs

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Fwiw I passed both tests on manual gearboxes and have only driven 1 manual since! It seems a lot of companies are getting autos now…

Peter Smythe:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The manual vs auto argument will rumble on for as long as trucks have got wheels! Without a doubt it’s easier to pass on auto. I cant believe any agency would ask what you passed on. Rigid vehicles with 2 axles are normally auto or straight 6 speed. Multi axle rigids are either auto or a more interesting box. Remember that even if you train on a manual, you will only know how that particular gearbox works. And there’s plenty of different ones out there!

We offer both manual and auto so folks have the choice. But if anyone asks, the recommendation is always auto.

Sent you a pm.

I’ve not yet driven a two axle truck that wasn’t a 4 over 4.

At our place we have both manual & auto ( most of which have a clutch stupid Scania )