Automatic Driving

Whats up guys kind of a fun post
Havent done any hgv driving for about 5 years now and mainly just drove autos back when i was driving anyway.
I havent got to much money in the bank to splash out on a lot of driver training lessons maybe about £300 i can throw away,
so i was thinking are there any agencies or places that i could get some work to just drive automatics :laughing:

Ideally this would be great, because i can learn all the basics of how to drive and pass all of the cpc tests online like here and on youtube
and save myself a few quid without having to pay for expensive lessons learning all the gears and how to drive different type of trucks.

I feel I can be taught from home, pass my cpc and confident i could get a driving job (if its just auto) what do you guys think am i just being stupid and should just get some lessons booked :laughing:

Without starting another auto v manual debate…

If you’ve already got licence then you only need periodic CPC and that’s about your £300 gone!

No pass/fail just attend .

As for the only drive auto , you’ll be very lucky to just get that as an option and get work .

Agency just really want to supply a driver and expect you to drive the class your licenced for.

Have you ever driven a manual ? Your post sounds like not ? Is your licence restricted to auto only?

chris2015:
… Havent done any hgv driving for about 5 years now …

… are there any agencies or places that i could get some work to just drive automatics …

The answer to this will depend on your DCPC status.

Your DCPC status depends on when you passed an LGV test and possibly whether you have done any further training.

@dcgpx Yeah i did all my tests in manual but only have driven small lorrys and never been in a artic even tho i have c, ce, c1e.
I have driven some larger trucks but they have all been autos.

So if i did go for driving job after i have done my cpc training i wouldn’t be confident or able to just get in a truck that’s not auto and drive straight away,
I would have to say how do i drive this :laughing: :blush: so i wouldn’t even attempt unless i can get some money together and go for some lessons learning how to drive with gears.

@dieseldave I have c, ce,c1, c1e passed on oct 2008 but have never done any commercial driving (was in army :frowning: ) and have nothing on my DCPC training record or even done anything related to driving.
Just starting to get back in to driving now and so far just checked out this site and watched a few you tube videos about driving and only just stating to read all the driving and cpc manuals now.

Also am i right that i need to do 35 hours of driving before i can get my cpc driver qualifications?
if so how much money am i looking at to spend to get the 35 hours of driving?

What do you guys suggest i should do?
thanks for your replys

chris2015:
i wouldn’t be confident or able to just get in a truck that’s not auto and drive straight away

Why not - that’s how we all did it?

ROG:

chris2015:
i wouldn’t be confident or able to just get in a truck that’s not auto and drive straight away

You tipped up for a job interview without driving that particular truck / type of gears before and still got the job?
I would try if they did not mind that ive never driven that type of truck before and they were willing to teach me on the spot, i just thought most places would tell me to do one.

In that case, get CPC sorted first, without it rest is a moot point.

See how much money left and either take plunge and go for work or work way up… 7.5t to C to CE.

You’ll be fine on gears, work up to them from straight 7.5t box to range box on C,CE .

Most of C I’ve driven are simple enough. A switch or slap it across - easy does it. I only learnt one on lessons test figured out as I go along. Not that hard and yes you will miss a few gears, but recovery easy enough and you won’t do it again as you learn from it.

CPC first, then a plan for rest !

chris2015:

ROG:

chris2015:

You tipped up for a job interview without driving that particular truck / type of gears before and still got the job?
I would try if they did not mind that ive never driven that type of truck before and they were willing to teach me on the spot, i just thought most places would tell me to do one.

YES to your Q

Employers know that all drivers have not driven all types of truck/gearbox so you have to be honest and ask how it works

Best agency that I did was a yard shunt.

Drove different trucks, learnt curtains, tail lifts and drop axles all in one night.

Never seen a drop till then but had all night to mess with buttons and see what happened!

Couldn’t do full time as they had me strapping 20 trucks as well but for the manoeuvring and other stuff worth its weight in gold for experience .

Obviously only works if the fleet is different trucks, but I gained a lot from it and not even had to go on a road! Came away ■■■■ sight more confident from any other work agent will get me

chris2015:
@dieseldave I have c, ce,c1, c1e passed on oct 2008 but have never done any commercial driving (was in army :frowning: ) and have nothing on my DCPC training record or even done anything related to driving.
Just starting to get back in to driving now and so far just checked out this site and watched a few you tube videos about driving and only just stating to read all the driving and cpc manuals now.

Also am i right that i need to do 35 hours of driving before i can get my cpc driver qualifications?

Hi chris2015,

It’s a definite yes to your question above if you plan to drive commercially, and that’s whether auto or manual. :wink:

chris2015:
… if so how much money am i looking at to spend to get the 35 hours of driving?

The cost of periodic DCPC training (that’s what you need) can vary.

You tend to get what you pay for, so this will depend on what you want to gain from the training.
Some providers simply go through the motions and give you a certificate at the end of the lesson, but others will actually tell you accurate stuff that will help you and be of great use.

:bulb: It’s tricky to give accurate advice here, but if you give a clue as to your approx. location, there might be a poster who can recommend a good provider reasonably nearby.

thanks for everyone’s posts, great forum and community here.
I don’t really know anyone who does lorry driving so your knowledge and experience from people
who have been there and done it and clued up on all this, is really great for me :smiley: helps a lot thanks!

Its good to hear that some company’s & agency’s do not mind if you do not know how to drive all types of truck/gearbox, i was kind of worried about this so thanks
Would love if i applied for a job and they gave me on the spot training :sunglasses:

dieseldave:
:idea: It’s tricky to give accurate advice here, but if you give a clue as to your approx. location, there might be a poster who can recommend a good provider reasonably nearby.

Im in Warrington so willing to travel anywhere in North West really thanks

chris2015:
Im in Warrington so willing to travel anywhere in North West really thanks

Chevron at Flint

Drove an automatic for the first time today. It’s was OK but don’t like the brake pedal being so close to the accelerator. I’d prefer it if it was on the left so you could brake with your left foot. That’s how I drive a fork truck, although I know you’re supposed to use your right foot.

Tris:
Drove an automatic for the first time today. It’s was OK but don’t like the brake pedal being so close to the accelerator. I’d prefer it if it was on the left so you could brake with your left foot. That’s how I drive a fork truck, although I know you’re supposed to use your right foot.

Oh dear.

Well that might be ok for you ex forklift drivers.But i like it just where it is thanks.

You don’t need to do 35 hours driving prior to taking your cpc. The cpc is 35 hours in a classroom with no pass or fail. The type you need to take is not when you passed your hgv but when you passed your original driving test, which I think is before or after 1997?
If before you need to do 35 hours, if after the. You need to do the modules. I may be corrected here but I’m right in principal I think.

I have c, ce,c1, c1e passed on oct 2008

This thread seems to be getting quite muddled! Not surprising when you consider the complexity of the rules.

Anyway, having passed LGV tests prior to Sept 2009, the OP would have held acquired rights (grandfather rights) until Sept 2014 when they expired. To get them back, simply complete 35 hours.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I understand the deadline now was getting all confused :laughing: if you haven’t done the 35 hrs within that time then you cannot drive legally, untill you have done the 35hrs.

Thanks