Auto to Manual Entitlement

If I have an automatic only car license, pass my HGV test in an automatic, but later on pass another car test in a manual, does my HGV license get upgraded to a manual too?

I would ask the DVLA

Why not just do a manual hgv test?

If you pass your hgv test in an auto you can drive a manual…

only if your car licence is manual.

qwakers:
only if your car licence is manual.

I didn’t know that, apologies

As far as I know passing a test in a manual car would not upgrade your truck licence to manual as well, as far as I remember from the GOV website a category is only upgrade when a higher category is obtained.

Why not just learn in a manual truck that way it will upgrade your car licence to manual automatically.

According to the DVLA, if I upgrade my license to a manual - the 78 code on Cat B and C is removed.

I just called the DVLA and got this answer

pass B manual then C auto = both manual

Now to your query …
pass B auto then C auto then B manual = B goes manual & C remains auto

Personally if you wanted both manual and auto i’d do a car test in a manual BEFORE doing HGV at all! would’ve thought that would give the licence you want when going for the HGV entitlement.
I also have a query as I’ve got a manual car licence but i have a steering ball attachment pretty sure the code is 114 on licence (any adaptations for safe driving?) if i passed in an auto would i get both auto AND manual or would i be restricted to just auto?
Apologies for hijacking your thread a bit OP! Edited to get right code :blush:

RB84:
Personally if you wanted both manual and auto i’d do a car test in a manual BEFORE doing HGV at all! would’ve thought that would give the licence you want when going for the HGV entitlement.
I also have a query as I’ve got a manual car licence but i have a steering ball attachment pretty sure the code is 114 on licence (any adaptations for safe driving?) if i passed in an auto would i get both auto AND manual or would i be restricted to just auto?

That is so specific and rare that you will need to email DVLA on that issue - use the online form so you get it in writing

I also got the verbal answer in an email from DVLA = Darn that was quick !

Thank you for your email received on 21/5/16. Your email reference number is 3639296.

On 10th April 2014 changes to legislation allowed drivers who passed a driving test in a vocational vehicle with automatic transmission, to be upgraded to manual entitlement, providing they previously passed a test in another manual vehicle.

VOC DCS Casework
D6
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1ZZ

[/Thank you for your email received on 21/5/16. Your email reference number is 3639296.

On 10th April 2014 changes to legislation allowed drivers who passed a driving test in a vocational vehicle with automatic transmission, to be upgraded to manual entitlement, providing they previously passed a test in another manual vehicle.

VOC DCS Casework
D6
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1ZZquote]

Thanks ROG
Looks like i would get Manual as well but like you said best to to check first!
I reckon the OP’s best bet is to do their manual car test before HGV less gears for a Start? Should be easier to pass? cheaper too? Then can get manual and auto when passed HGV!

Why are so many new starts who want to be “drivers” scared of driving or doing a test in a manual vehicle :question:

m_attt:
Why are so many new starts who want to be “drivers” scared of driving or doing a test in a manual vehicle :question:

My Personal reason is a weakness in my left hand ,although can drive a manual car/van so MIGHT be alright in a manual who knows??
But for most normal drivers i’d say cost is probably a big issue? if your spending nearly two grand and doing a few days training mucking up a gear change is gonna cost you a few hundred for a retest i’d guess? so just taking that element of worry away on test day is no bad thing really, in my mind anyway! the DVLA? changed the rules so you may as well use and abuse them to your advantage eh :laughing:
But i do see the older hands point that new drivers are just steering wheel attendants nowadays! But the same was probably thought of them when they were still fresh out of the split box so to speak!

RB84:

m_attt:

My Personal reason is a weakness in my left hand ,although can drive a manual car/van so MIGHT be alright in a manual who knows??
But for most normal drivers i’d say cost is probably a big issue? if your spending nearly two grand and doing a few days training mucking up a gear change is gonna cost you a few hundred for a retest i’d guess? so just taking that element of worry away on test day is no bad thing really, in my mind anyway! the DVLA? changed the rules so you may as well use and abuse them to your advantage eh :laughing:
But i do see the older hands point that new drivers are just steering wheel attendants nowadays! But the same was probably thought of them when they were still fresh out of the split box so to speak!

Hi pal, in your case where you have an impairment that MIGHT cause you issues, I’d suggest you do an assessment drive in a manual truck to find out! I’ve driven a few manuals (not loads) and some have nice easy light gear shifts, and some that make my arm ache after a few hours (I normally use the other hand! :wink:) So bearing that in mind, depending how weak your left arm is, you may be fine in one manual but really struggle with another. Yes passing in an Auto may limit your work opportunities slightly, but I wouldn’t say its a deal breaker as the majority of modern trucks are Auto anyway. There will be some exceptions to this, but there’s plenty of firms where their trucks are almost exclusively all Auto…

So in summary, you may be worrying unnecessarily, as you could go through all the work to get manual entitlement, and never really need it. I guess it will depend on the type of work you want to do, and what that sector favours. I believe just about all the big players buy Auto’s to try and improve their fuel efficiency…

Not sure of any of that helps! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Evil!
Yeah I guess I should go for an assessment to stop meself mithering about it :laughing: bite the bullet and all that! Probably the only way i’ll know for sure cos I don’t think shunting a 7.5 tonner forward a few feet and dumping a skip motor on a weighbridge (only previous lorry driving experience haa ha) told me too much!
I do see why drivers think you should learn in a manual but its a fact that they are becoming rarer and the automation of most things is to make life easier as I’m sure you’d go home feeling more knackered after shifting an eaton fuller all day as opposed to driving an auto all day. But maybe you feel more like a job well done in a manual?? more job satisfaction other than just going through the motions? I dunno :confused:

RB84:
I’m sure you’d go home feeling more knackered after shifting an eaton fuller all day as opposed to driving an auto all day. But maybe you feel more like a job well done in a manual?? more job satisfaction other than just going through the motions? I dunno :confused:

Can’t comment on an Eaton as I’ve only done a few shorts hops in one. But I can say that driving a 4 over 4 DAF CF gets tedious within a few days, especially the heavier you are as the engines was woefully underpowered to improve overall economy. I much prefer a DECENT auto, and I say decent as they seem to vary wildly. The Renault (Volvo) Auto gearbox to me is excellent, and I can’t understand why others in comparison are currently still so poor! But as I’m a lazy sod, I’d still put up with a MAN or DAF auto over a manual…

Evil8Beezle:

RB84:
I’m sure you’d go home feeling more knackered after shifting an eaton fuller all day as opposed to driving an auto all day. But maybe you feel more like a job well done in a manual?? more job satisfaction other than just going through the motions? I dunno :confused:

Can’t comment on an Eaton as I’ve only done a few shorts hops in one. But I can say that driving a 4 over 4 DAF CF gets tedious within a few days, especially the heavier you are as the engines was woefully underpowered to improve overall economy. I much prefer a DECENT auto, and I say decent as they seem to vary wildly. The Renault (Volvo) Auto gearbox to me is excellent, and I can’t understand why others in comparison are currently still so poor! But as I’m a lazy sod, I’d still put up with a MAN or DAF auto over a manual…

Shoot me down but I think auto’s are for lazy drivers, I’d pick a manual everyday of the week! As for auto or manual for test for I would recommend manual’ gearboxes are just as light as a car these days and learning a 4 over 4, 3 over 3 will come in handy when you get in the real world!

I was driver training this week and first thing he asked was you don’t have no manuals do you?? I can see the point made of costs/make it easy as you can… But I grab the bull by the horns myself

yt03:
Shoot me down but I think auto’s are for lazy drivers

No argument from me! :open_mouth:

Yes I am lazy in that respect, but my experience is mainly multi-dropping, and for a lot of that the driving is urban… Yes there are manual trucks out there that are not tedious to drive, as you have a bit more grunt under the hood. Going back to a DAF which was a 6 wheel Rigid, I’ve driver a more powerful DAF CF 8 legger (8 wheels for the Newbies) that was a 3 over 3. It was bliss to drive in comparison to the 4 over 4…

But yep, I’m a lazy git! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:
Shoot me down but I think auto’s are for lazy drivers

No argument from me! :open_mouth:

Yes I am lazy in that respect, but my experience is mainly multi-dropping, and for a lot of that the driving is urban… Yes there are manual trucks out there that are not tedious to drive, as you have a bit more grunt under the hood. Going back to a DAF which was a 6 wheel Rigid, I’ve driver a more powerful DAF CF 8 legger (8 wheels for the Newbies) that was a 3 over 3. It was bliss to drive in comparison to the 4 over 4…

But yep, I’m a lazy git! :smiley:

I have a nice volvo fh and I’ll admit the ishift is brilliant, but put a 3x3 any day for me… Maybe it’s the work I do (bulkers) deffinetly get on better with a manual though…

As said above the volvo/Renault box is by far the best, I can’t see why the others can’t keep up in thar respect?? I had a old ERF 2/3 years ago and I’m not kidding you pressing the clutch made your leg tremble how people coped everyday baffled me…