Auto/manual gearbox

Hi all, I know you can now drive a manual wagon on an auto licence, but what about cars?
If you passed test in an auto can you legally drive manual car ?
Hoping your accumulated knowledge and wisdom can help.
Jim

No

Two different things mate. You’ll already have passed your car test before your HGV. If you do an auto only car test then that’s all you can drive. I’d imagine if you did do an auto test and a HGV auto test then auto cars is all you can drive, but an auto car test followed by a manual HGV would probably supersede the car test enabling you to drive a manual car.

Can you tell I’m just guessing? :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
Two different things mate. You’ll already have passed your car test before your HGV. If you do an auto only car test then that’s all you can drive. I’d imagine if you did do an auto test and a HGV auto test then auto cars is all you can drive, but an auto car test followed by a manual HGV would probably supersede the car test enabling you to drive a manual car.

Can you tell I’m just guessing? :smiley: :smiley:

Maoster,
Thanks for such a clear and succinct answer , where would we be without your sagacity.
Ok , full story , my son in law passed his car test in an auto a few years ago and now says he’s gonna have a few lessons in a manual so he can upgrade.
I , in my infinite wisdom shouts , no need they’ve changed the rules .
Apparently not
I’ll get me coat and me 'andbag
And go
Jim

Actually Jim after my top of my head answer I’ve been thinking about this. It’s an extremely good question you pose and I look forward to some expert opinions. I reckon this new change to the law regarding auto’s has some huge potential ramifications.

Maosters answer was better than mine, I hadn’t considered the other options why didn’t you just post the whole question in the first place?
■■■■ you did, my bad, but the first answer was right according to current law.

Sagacity, Ramifications !

Have you lot been eating Dictionaries for Lunch ? Lol.

Being an old medically retired git I can honestly say I ONCE drove an auto truck , a Volvo in 2011 ( ish) . I hated it and it was useless , hope they have improved like cars have.
But out of choice I still think I would want a manual in a wagon .

JFC999:
Hi all, I know you can now drive a manual wagon on an auto licence, but what about cars?
If you passed test in an auto can you legally drive manual car ?
Hoping your accumulated knowledge and wisdom can help.
Jim

You can’t drive a manual car on an auto licence. If you pass your car test in an auto, you only get an auto licence and you have to retake it in a manual to get manual entitlement.

BUT, if you pass your car test in a manual THEN take your cat C (class 2) in an auto, THEN you get a manual HGV licence. Similarly, if you have a manual class 2 licence and pass class 1 in an auto, then you can drive manual artics.

AND if you have an auto car licence but take your class 2 in a manual, then you can drive both manual cars and trucks.

martinviking:

I prefer to think of it as masticating litery edification Martin. :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

martinviking:

I prefer to think of it as masticating litery edification Martin. :smiley: :smiley:

Methinks the gentleman is intoxicated by the sanguination of his own verbosity !
On that note I’m off to bed, goodnight
Jim

Its doing my head in…but got there in the end :smiley: :smiley:

i had an argument many years ago when i had a break from driving trucks, so applied to London Transport where i did my training. The bus i trained on was an RT ( the one before the routemaster ) so anyway they had 3 pedals but the clutch one was called an operating pedal ( it was a pre select gearbox ) so in effect you would put the ol girl into 2nd, move the column change to 3rd, and as you moved off you only had to push the pedal for it to click into that gear ( im explaining for those who dont know what a pre select is ) so my argument was this is almost the same as a manual, but he licence we got had stamped across it Automatic only. Now a few years previous drivers were given an all types licence ( full licence ) but due to many drivers leaving the company and getting work on coaches ( which were mainly manual ) London Transport changed their rules ( which to me was totally wrong as it contravened their employment rules and not what the laws on driving vehicles were ) Anyway, a PSV licence had to be renewed every 5 years, and an employer had to also add to the application for a licence. I started working with a coach touring company ( american express ) and all of the vehicles were manual anyway, so in effect i was breaking the law, but upon renewing my licence ( and the fact the coach company were asking for a copy of my licence ) i duly filled in the renewal and one of the questions was What type of licence do you require: manual or automatic…so i put down the licence i required, not the one i was entitled to lol All Types…and it duly came back stamped for the one i asked for…great news…i could now continue touring abroad…but i jacked it all in a while later and went back trucking ( money was better ) plus i was single again at the time. Once my PSV ran out i had no one to sign to say i was working on those type of vehicles ( funny how they dont do that with trucking ).

Thanks Truckyboy ,interesting tale , coincidental too because in a previous life I was a bus driver.
It was 1974 in the West Midlands and I also trained on a pre select box. We called them jumping jacks then , although there were not many still in service it was the first bus I drove. Licence thus gained was Auto.
Jim

JFC999:
Thanks Truckyboy ,interesting tale , coincidental too because in a previous life I was a bus driver.
It was 1974 in the West Midlands and I also trained on a pre select box. We called them jumping jacks then , although there were not many still in service it was the first bus I drove. Licence thus gained was Auto.
Jim

who remembers the scamell gear box with the hocky stick was it low direct and high drove one in avenue coke plant on internal age 18 happy days :smiley:

didnt know you can make a License for Auto Gearboxes.

If car driver only has auto B and wishesto upgrade that to manual then they have a couple of options
Take manual B test
OR
Take any manual upgrade test - many do it by taking B+E manual because all they need to do is to pass the road drive/reverse/un-couple with no medical or theory needed