Why not use your own GP for the medical?

I see a lot of posts for doctors of wheels or mobile docs etc, but why not just use your on personal GP, is this to hide any medical history or what’s the deal?

ram_1979:
I see a lot of posts for doctors of wheels or mobile docs etc, but why not just use your on personal GP, is this to hide any medical history or what’s the deal?

If I was having a HGV medical I wouldn’t use my GP because of what they charge, last time I enquired which was about 8 to 10 years ago they wanted over £140, why would anyone pay that when they can get the same medical for £50.

I think you’ll find most GPs overcharge for HGV medicals, I mean, from memory it’s about 20 minutes work ffs :unamused:

Own GP = £120 + a 2 week wait for the appt.
Place I used = £40 done 2 days after I rang to book.

That’s why.

Same here. My gp wanted 120 plus 2 week wait

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Same as the other posters,
My GP wanted £140 and a long wait

Doctor On Wheels did it for £50 from memory and could do it quicker.

My doctor charges £50 to sign a letter or passport application. I can sign them for nothing.

£120? Not that bad to be honest, my GP asked me exactly £168 for lorry or bus, and for taxi something about £300, and wait for about two-three weeks.

GP £150
Trucker Medical £40

Own GP £120 only because I had eye test done free every year
Dr £50

Wish I could get through to my GP surgery!

GP £128
Hackney Job Centre £0

I’m going to buck the trend and say that I wouldn’t go to my own GP as they have full access to my medical records and I wouldn’t want that information disclosing to the DVLA :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

GP £130 and had to arrange an eye test at the opticians as he wouldn’t do it.

I went to another gp that was recommended and it was £40. Cash only though. Also got no recipient and the receptionist had to unlock the door to let me out as they were closed as it was only ever the last appointment of the day…

My GP wanted £110. I’m in Wales.Ive had the eye test by Vision Express. Highly recommended btw. Need to find a medic for the rest. Probably need to travel to Swansea or Cardiff. If anyone’s from Wales be interested in any info. I’ll look around and post if I find anything.

sammym:
I’m going to buck the trend and say that I wouldn’t go to my own GP as they have full access to my medical records and I wouldn’t want that information disclosing to the DVLA :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

They can only disclose information that has been asked for on the form so unless you unfit to drive then what you hiding

I did go to my own GP for 1st medical but as all clear ( look in family forum if you want to know more ) all was fine so now use another that is recommended although as said I get a free eye test every year

As been said already

1. Cost: much cheaper with DR’S on wheels etc

2. No waiting: Mobile DR’S usually quick can even be seen same day if lucky not normally the case with a GP’s surgery.

3. One stop shop: A lot of GP’s do not do the eye tests so you would have to go elsewhere for that. The mobile DR’s usually do everything you need right there.

When I did my medical I went to my own GP and that was a mistake, he had never seen the form before and filled it out wrongly. This resulted in the DVLA taking my licence away for 3 months, luckily I took a photocopy of the medical to force my doctor to write a letter to them explaining that he was wrong but someone who does them regularly and knows the form is much better in my opinion.

Gp £250 3 week wait .
Dr on wheels £50 4 day wait .
Simples innit

My GP who I had been with since a baby did it for £50 cash that you put in the charity collection pot on the way out.