Gloves....what type?

Hi guys which gloves are best for the job?

I am looking at these:
spireworkwear.co.uk/index.ph … ductId=162

and these:
spireworkwear.co.uk/index.ph … ductId=161

cheers

Just go to local diy barn, and buy the rigger gloves, about £5.99.

I think the company should supply as part of your ppe.

You’re gonna knacker them in a week winding legs. Pound shop gardening gloves work just fine :wink:

I use the lined driver gloves as think they last longer & are harder wearing than the gardening type gloves

I have two sets of gloves.
Rubber coated cotton ones for dieseling up and greasy airlines. Keeps chems off skin but can get sweaty.
Plain leather for straps and buckles etc. Comfortable and good grip but no protection against liquids.
You buy two pairs but only use each half as much so no cost increase.

Homebase do a good selection.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

animal:
I use the lined driver gloves as think they last longer & are harder wearing than the gardening type gloves

Lined ones like these:

They look fine, but there’s no way I will part with 6 quid for something that I will bugger in a week. Have you tried asking at work? They usually supply gloves. I go through 2 pairs a week, and I don’t wind legs! :wink: I have a drawer full of them, lol

Kynszon:

animal:

Lined ones like these:

Yep they last me about 6 Month without a problem ( sometimes longer now as don’t drop & swap trailers very much these days )

biggriffin:

Yes, indeed they should…

The relevant regulations are the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.

Regulation 4 states:
Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is provided to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective.

The accompanying guidance states:
Employers should, therefore, provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and training in its usage to their employees wherever there is a risk to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by other means.

In order to provide PPE for their employees, employers must do more than simply have the equipment on the premises. The employees must have the equipment readily available, or at the very least have clear instructions on where they can obtain it.

By virtue of Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states: “No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions”. Section 9 applies to these Regulations because they impose a ‘specific requirement’ - i.e. to provide PPE.

Source : hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/ppe.htm

Biggest problem I find with gloves is getting the right size. L and XL really doesn’t help much but size 8 / 9 seems to fit (doesn’t give those sizes on that site unfortunately as they’re local). In theory employers are supposed to provide PPE, but there’s cravats to say they only have to supply limited amounts for things like gloves despite them giving up in 5 minutes.

The ones I tend to buy are these, but they only last about a week due to the trailer changeovers. Just cheaper than buying them individually at £2 each in some shops.
smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B … UTF8&psc=1

trevHCS:
Biggest problem I find with gloves is getting the right size. L and XL really doesn’t help much but size 8 / 9 seems to fit (doesn’t give those sizes on that site unfortunately as they’re local). In theory employers are supposed to provide PPE, but there’s cravats to say they only have to supply limited amounts for things like gloves despite them giving up in 5 minutes.

The ones I tend to buy are these, but they only last about a week due to the trailer changeovers. Just cheaper than buying them individually at £2 each in some shops.

I just need a size xs but they don’t do them in that size so always to big

But go to shop see which you like the best & either buy yourself or wait for boss to give you some which you might not like or they don’t fit I prefer to buy my own same as my boots but that is personal to me

animal:

trevHCS:

I just need a size xs but they don’t do them in that size so always to big

But go to shop see which you like the best & either buy yourself or wait for boss to give you some which you might not like or they don’t fit I prefer to buy my own same as my boots but that is personal to me

There I`m certainly with you. Our company provides gloves…adequate… but I prefer to use a few of my own quids to get what I am happy with. Not bank breaking amounts of money to make every day slightly smoother.

I did a couple of days last week on a 7.5 for a glass supplier. I turned up with steelies and satnav, nothing else.
I was very quickly supplied with …
hard hat
ear plugs ( I wear hearing aids ffs I just turn em off :unamused: )
safety glasses
heavy duty cut proof jumper with a hi viz panel on the back (Felt like I was a target for police marksmen)
Wrist protectors
and gloves.

The gloves were fabric on the back but rubber on the palms/fingers. Gets a good grip of the glass sheets. Bit sweaty to wear all the time though.

Personal choice? Those 99p gardening gloves from Poundland.

amazon.co.uk/Himalayan-H310 … th=1&psc=1

This is what I use.

Good thing - get them wet and worked in and they literally fit like a glove. They mould to your hands. Also warm in the winter and super comfy.

Bad thing - they are not great when wet and absorb water. They also attract 5th wheel grease like a magnet - and look battered after a week.

You can buy packs of 10 (once you know your size) for about £3 a pair. I always carry two pairs. One is for wet and dirty work - this includes filling with diesel. These are the old scabby pair. The other pair is for straps/curtains/bars. If it’s raining I will happily wear the old crappy ones doing whatever.

Each to their own. That’s what works for me. They last me more than a week. I still have a pair that is usable which I first purchased when I passed my class 2 in January.

I use tight semi waterproof gardening gloves for trailer changes etc then I’ve got the cotton lined rubber ones for diesel/wet trailer work.

Tip don’t use anything too grippy for trailer legs.

Reef:

biggriffin:

Yes, indeed they should…

The relevant regulations are the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.

Regulation 4 states:
Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is provided to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective.

Employers should, therefore, provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and training in its usage to their employees wherever there is a risk to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by other means.

In order to provide PPE for their employees, employers must do more than simply have the equipment on the premises. The employees must have the equipment readily available, or at the very least have clear instructions on where they can obtain it.

By virtue of Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states: “No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions”. Section 9 applies to these Regulations because they impose a ‘specific requirement’ - i.e. to provide PPE.

Even if working via an Agency

animal:

Kynszon:

animal:

Lined ones like these:

Yep they last me about 6 Month without a problem ( sometimes longer now as don’t drop & swap trailers very much these days )

That’s what I use I’ve had my current pair a year. Last year’s gloves still have plenty in them too so there in my bag as spare or if !my main ones get wet

I have rigger gloves for fuelling up, doing airlines, etc… For washing doing fixing jobs, O and not leaving fingerprints, wear latex gloves, just get box from workshop,. Or buy a box for £1.50.

Kynszon:

Reef:

biggriffin:

Yes, indeed they should…

Regulation 4 states:

Even if working via an Agency

You should probably be asking your Agency that one, I’ll bet that they are in fact required to supply ALL PPE though (unless you’re a tax dodger, uh I mean self employed limpist of course) but I’m sure that most agencies are only interested in supplying a cheapo hi-viz with their name, logo, phone number and www. address emblazoned on the back though, and the drivers undoubtedly just as happy to be a walking billboard for them I suppose.