Suggest me some decent gloves

So I’ve got the basic throwaway bright orange rubber dipped cloth gloves that the company hands out like sweets, they are good for the occasional thing but with winter coming I wanted a decent pair of gloves and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Not too bothered about price as long as they aren’t silly money. I’m happy to pay £50 - £60 or even a bit more for the right ones.
I get cold hands easy so I need them to be warm but more importantly they have to be durable as I want something that’s going to last.
My work is delivering pallets so they just need to be able to withstand fastening the curtain straps and flipping the tail lift up and down so I don’t need any chemical resistance or ability to handle chains etc.
Waterproof would be a good bonus but I’m thinking more about warmth having to fold up snow covered tail lifts and such.

What do you all use?

Have a look at Arco, they’ve got a good selection.

Ron simpson predetor range the riggers are really good fuel and grease resistant very durable several styes i use the hide riggers myself

The orange rubbered variety - seem perfectly OK for general use, and I prefer these over “riggers gloves” as they are like trying to thread a needle wearing boxing gloves to me.

driving with gloves on - is discouraged in most places I work though, so does OP talking “decent gloves” of the variety that can be kept on at all times?

The yellow leather ones,I find to be good.They are only about £12 from the truckstops

Sod that, paying for your own gloves…and 50 to 60 quid?? :open_mouth:
Just tell your co the equipment they .aint fit for purpose, if they are no good for you.

We use those crappy plasticised yellow and orange things, I just draw extra pairs every time I go in, so that the ones I wear are always in decent condition.

It is common to see London Bus drivers wearing leather mittens or even leather driving gloves as hygiene protection.

When I do buy gloves I buy those orange predator gloves, but the majority of the time I use similar generic arco glove’s provided by the company. The downside of the latter is that when they get wet they tend to rip easy so I always have a couple of extra pairs handy. But after a while with dirt any oils they get waterproof

The trouble with the rubber ones my firm supplies,if you touch oil or grease,it gets deposited on the next surface you touch so I buy my own leather ones that soak up the grease.It goes against the grain but for £12,they will last me 6 months at least

Orange rubberised (palm and finger) gloves for the warmer months and a £5 lined leather driver’s glove for when it is below zero or lower than +5 and wet. The leather ones will keep your hands dry and warm, but they do absorb water and need to be dried properly.

Absolutely no point in buying expensive gloves to mess about with curtains or for general handling.

Welding or rigger gloves for general and chemical type for filling up diesel.

Decent gloves are all the ones would not fit sticking a finger into another man’s arse hole, the ones would fit that cavity are indecent gloves. That is the rule of thumb, though the index finger is mostly used.

Besides, another rubber longer ones covering the wrist for fuelling up, which I personally also use when doing the clips and curtains under the rain.

I still have the woolly ones I used in Germany and Austria at -17C, though you lose any sense of grip…

Glad to help

Thanks for the replies.
And no I’m not planning on wearing them while driving I just don’t fancy numb fingers from touching freezing cold metal through the winter and I’ve had enough of picking tiny pieces of tail lift metal shards out of my hands too :smiley:

I might just try some of those cheap yellow leather ones and see how I get on, though I did see these on the arco site arco.co.uk/Web-Taxonomy/Glo … ku=14C1407 are they going to be overkill as they seem like they are aimed at people working in coldstores.

willing to pay £50+ for gloves, for work…
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Company provides gloves. If they are not fit for the job, tell them… If they don’t change the gloves, it’s time to look for a better company to work for…

£50 or more… :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

Oh, by the way, don’t try this trick at the firm why I work. We don’t take kindly to ■■■■■ cutting up the job :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

Company provides gloves. If they are not fit for the job, tell them… If they don’t change the gloves, it’s time to look for a better company to work for…

:

Absolutely agree, it’s the firms responsibility to provide fit for purpose equipment in order to do the job.k not the driver…Where does it stop.

It’s ALMOST as bad as drivers (aka idiots) paying for ■■■■ lamps, and bars and such crap out of their wages , only resulting in upping the company’s profile for them foc. :unamused:

All the ‘taking a pride’ stuff as an excuse is just b/s., but these companies love it…and why wouldnt they? :bulb:

Fresh can of worms opened . :laughing: :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

:

Absolutely agree, it’s the firms responsibility to provide fit for purpose equipment in order to do the job.k not the driver…Where does it stop.

It’s ALMOST as bad as drivers (aka idiots) paying for ■■■■ lamps, and bars and such crap out of their wages , only resulting in upping the company’s profile for them foc. :unamused:

All the ‘taking a pride’ stuff as an excuse is just b/s., but these companies love it…and why wouldnt they? :bulb:

Fresh can of worms opened . :laughing: :grimacing:

^^^^
Double posted. :imp:
Trying to post anything on this ■■■■ site lately is a complete pain in the ■■■■. :imp:

robroy:
^^^^
Double posted. :imp:
Trying to post anything on this [zb] site lately is a complete pain in the ■■■■. :imp:

Take your gloves off before you post….

I use these when it’s wet or cold as they’re thermal and waterproof. think they’re about a tenner but I get them from work. Will usually get a month out of them through winter as only using them, but they do get a beating as I mostly use chains and they get covered in oil and grease

Also, proper etiquette is to remove your gloves right before you get into the cab, as handles and particularly the steering wheel are going to get soiled.

Typically careless drivers hook up or disconnect trailers and jump in the cab grabbing the steering wheel with dirty gloves. That is why we, the ones who care, carry wet wipes and clean the steering wheel, handles and buttons at the beginning of a shift. Or, wonder why your bare hands become sooted just by being on the wheel.