Gloves - Winter 2021 Edition

From a quick Google, a topic that regularly does the rounds so here it is, the 2021 edition.

I’m in the market for some good, water proof and thermal gloves. I have been using those nylon dipped inn rubber types up until now, you know the ones, a company pays £1 for 8million pairs to distribute to drivers so they can tick the “we provide PPE” box.

They’re crap!

I will be dragging cages, some from the freezer so they’re going to be cold and wet.

Don’t want those big rigger gloves everyone suggests. Amazon is full of the sort of thing I wear now, but claiming to be water proof… Until you read the reviews and everyone says they’re not.

So what do you use, are they any good and would you mind chucking us a link?

I get my work clothes and stuff from workwearexpress.com, most of the gloves on there will be similar to what you’ve already got from work. If you don’t mind paying a bit more though, these might be worth a look workwearexpress.com/dare2b- … ted-gloves

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I bought these a while back (the lined version). I am now getting a similar glove supplied at work.

Obviously they are stitched, so they won’t be completely waterproof, but they don’t get saturated and your hands should stay warm even in the wet.

Length of service will depend on what you do with them and if you dry them out after use etc. I don’t use to wind the legs because it just wears them out. Bare hands for that one.

Noremac:
Unisex Yellow Leather Work Working Driving Gloves Premium Quality Lorry Hawk | eBay

I bought these a while back (the lined version). I am now getting a similar glove supplied at work.

Obviously they are stitched, so they won’t be completely waterproof, but they don’t get saturated and your hands should stay warm even in the wet.

Length of service will depend on what you do with them and if you dry them out after use etc. I don’t use to wind the legs because it just wears them out. Bare hands for that one.

I use similar.
If getting out a lot in the wet, maybe the OP could get 3 pairs? " drying whilst wearing the 3rd pair?
I was given a pair of knitted gloves with the palms dipped in plastic by a fridge trailer company. Warm with dry palms but not plastic backed so some ventilation. They might be better for his use?
look similar to these
ebay.co.uk/itm/183982191727 … R7TP3fqkXw
6 pairs for £12 so if wet you can wear another pair while drying them out.

I use these

ebay.co.uk/itm/UCI-ICETHER- … 1d1504df0a

THere’s no such thing as waterproof because water will slide onto them and towards your wrists as you work so it will end up inside the glove one way or another

M65Chris:
From a quick Google, a topic that regularly does the rounds so here it is, the 2021 edition.

I’m in the market for some good, water proof and thermal gloves. I have been using those nylon dipped inn rubber types up until now, you know the ones, a company pays £1 for 8million pairs to distribute to drivers so they can tick the “we provide PPE” box.

They’re crap!

I will be dragging cages, some from the freezer so they’re going to be cold and wet.

Don’t want those big rigger gloves everyone suggests. Amazon is full of the sort of thing I wear now, but claiming to be water proof… Until you read the reviews and everyone says they’re not.

So what do you use, are they any good and would you mind chucking us a link?

OK for what its worth I tried the same thing and came up short. So I decided to get two types of glove, one for loading/unloading and one for connecting up. The latter get oily so in the end will get canned.

For the former I have thermal type gloves but they aren’t water proof. The trouble with waterproof ones is they tend to get hot, make your hands sweat and of course soon stink :smiley: . Other than not being waterproof they are great.

So think about that as a solution. Not ideal but so long as I can discipline myself as to which pair to wear, it works.

screwfix.com/p/uci-aquatek- … arge/182gx

I use these, fully waterproof and nice and warm

For very wet work consider 3mm or 5mm neoprene scuba diver’s gloves, designed to get wet but to keep a layer of warm water close to your skin.

If everybody just drew 3 or 4 times the amount of the firm’s crappy gloves than normal, so that they have a new pair every week, (as I do) they would soon get the message and change to buying better quality ones. :bulb:

Sod that buying my own ppe when I work for a company, it’s another one of those many matters of principle.

I do however buy my own boots but only after receiving an amount of money for the ■■■■ poor boots the firm buys, so I end ip with a cheap pair of decent boots, but as for crappy gloves I can live with them.

I got myself some neoprene mountain biker gloves off of amazon (or wish, can’t remember which £4) and then got a can of tent waterproofing spray from Go Outdoors and gave them a liberal coating. So far so good.

Without sounding like a wet blanket just check with your employer to see if the gloves meet the safety standards for the work being carried out, their risk assessments will be based upon using specific PPE or an industry standard. If there was an accident and it was shown that the PPE didn’t meet the required standards they can apportion blame to the “supposed sub-standard PPE”
If they supply poor gloves email them and state that they are not fit for purpose so it’s on record and include the H&S representative for the company, it may not solve every problem but it will stir any company worth their salt into reviewing what they supply.

This is what my employer provides. They are reasonably thick and cope with moving wet or frozen cages, and are generally good on deliveries of frozen chilled and dry cages and reasonably durable. Saying that, I don’t usually like them when I have to be doing more finer work such as sorting out the bun trays.

I have a thinner mechanics type glove for that sort of thing, and then move onto other thicker gloves for cage work.

But likewise I also rotate around a variety of gloves to try them out, to see if they are good enough et cetera.

Most aren’t.

Night-and-day:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/uci-aquatek-thermo-full-dip-latex-thermal-gloves-orange-large/182gx

I use these, fully waterproof and nice and warm

Was in screw fix yesterday for some cable trunking so grabbed a couple of pairs of these to try out. Seem decent but not back at work until Friday so will put them through their paces then.

Cheers for the replies everyone.

As for expecting employers to provide quality kit, I’d rather just buy my own and know it’s going to do the job. I’ll use the stuff they provide for the dirtiest parts of the job, or fueling up.

I can’t wear the cheap boots either. Literally rip your feet apart and they end up stinking. Invested some money in some quality puma safety boots with cushioned heels and it makes a massive difference.

I use these mate about £6 on EBay .