First driving job. Double crewing?

Hey guys.
After recently passing my class 1 I’m looking for my first driving job. Looking to work for a company rather than agency.

Just wondered if it’s likely il be thrown a set of keys on my first day and sent on my way or if Id be crewed with someone to show me the ropes for a short while?

It’s just dawned on me that although I can reverse back around a cone I’ve never tried getting into a bay in a busy yard and things like daily walk arounds and using a digicard are still a bit of a mystery.

I started my first driving job 2 months ago. I had 1 week in a classroom broken up with 2 days of double manning. After that first week I was given the keys and told where to go.

I was told however to take my time, shunt as many times as you need to, get out and look as often as you feel you need to. No one at the depot mocks you for it, its encouraged. When you could potentially write off 2 trailers or units you will soon see know one will be rushing your reverse. Been doing this for 8 weeks now and I’m fairly confident now at reversing.

Just take your time, no prizes for reversing perfectly in one. But plenty of doo doo if you mess it up [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

My predictive text made me look thick… It was meant to say “no one” not “know one”

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

At a company you’ll almost always be paired up with someone for a couple of days at least. Especially when new. They’ll have their own set ways for doing things which obviously you’ll need to be shown.
The agency route would see you just thrown a set of keys and some paperwork and told to get on with it. You’re just there to fill the gaps so they’re unlikely to invest much time in you.

I started for turners as my first job. Yes they have a reputation but I got 2 weeks with another driver who taught me a huge amount. I struggled with reversing and then got a morning in the yard with the driver trainer to practice.

Depends on the company… i started out with a company as a nearly new pass. I sat with a driver for one afternoon then the next morning given keys and sent on my way solo in a 51ft trailer that I’d had no experience with.
I would hope that this was in the minority though and im not with that company now as i was treated poorly and left.

Edited to add, it was the agency that have actually been good with me and sent me out accompanied to build up experience, but they are a good one and I know that’s rare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went through my training while working at a small firm, you have passed your test so your good to go here’s the keys was all I got. First job ever was to take a trailer for an mot, I explained to the vosa tester I was a newbie as he had to come out and help me blindside it into a bay, never been more embarrassed. Looking back being dropped in at the deepend did me alright, we get experienced drivers in our yard now who will refuse to park a trailer in really tight between 2 others having learned the hard way I don’t think twice about it and now do it for them. I never thought I would be saying that 12 months ago that’s for sure.