First job starting today

Hello
I am starting my first ever Class 1 job today having passed my test 3 weeks ago. Very nervous about it but I think I will feel better once I have started.
The job is supposedly straight forward… Trunking a trailer to an Rdc…Trailer swap… Break… Then return to Depot. As usual and being a newbie… A bit nervous about them asking me to reverse on a bay when I get there. But this is a great opportunity for me to get experience and get used to coupling/uncoupling different trailers.
Can’t wait and dreading it at the same time. I start at 15.00 and should be finished by midnight/1am…hopefully.
See you all out there.

First off, is ok to be nervous. Take your time your be surprised at how helpful some people are. Don’t worry if it takes time to reverse.

Now depending on where your going, your rock up to the gate house and the will ask where your from. Then they will assign you a parking bay, ( not to be confused with a loading bay). Your reverse, into the bay then disconnect.
Drive over to the waiting area, depending again where you going, some places will have a driver’s rest room with TV screens telling you when your back load is ready, or other places will ask you to report to the transport office. Other places have completely different ways of doing it.

Top tip, dont blag anyone, if you don’t think you can do something, think first. Also when you get to your RDC let them know you’ve never been there before.

Without sounding like a racist, it’s only foreign drivers that get out of their cab to help you out if the reversing is a struggle , the dreaded blind side reverse can be a nightmare .
UK drivers will sit in their cab watching it all go wrong and give a sarcastic clap or roll their eyes .

How did you get on?

Just seen this post. Hope it went well. Remember, no-one starts off on their first job knowing everything they need to know. It’s a steep learning curve which can be un-nerving at times. But stick with it and be careful. That’s the way to happiness!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well all is going well, thanks everyone. On Sunday I followed another driver to am Rdc in Newark, I’m from Bristol BTW. Did trailer swap and back.Then last night went in… I’m on my own! Double deck 16ft trailer to a little hub in Basingstoke! First time pulling curtains back and unstrap ping load… Fortunately there was another driver there who showed me the ropes… No pun intended.
Got back and reversed trailer into a bay dead straight… On my own!.. So I’m dead chuffed tbh… Feel more confident after only 2 days… Learnt so much in 2 shifts its untrue. Really love it.

Never rush the job, if someone talks to you while coupling up to a trailer or dropping it, STOP what you were doing and start all over again, when they are talking about their boring day and boring life, this will distract you and is very dangerous, it could lead to a runaway trailer or yourself being crushed between the tractor unit and trailer.
I have known drivers and myself to ripping off all the Suzies or air and electric lines behind the unit .
While waiting around at RDC’s , you will always get the drivers that know it all and have been in the SAS and missed the Herald of free enterprise cross channel ferry by two minutes.
Avoid working on breaks or when the tacho mode switch is on bed mode to record a break, if you become faster doing this, the employer will exploit this and give you more work .
So you actually lose out and become fatigued very quickly resulting in burn out or a nervous breakdown .
If not sure of an address, get out the cab and walk down the lane to see if it’s suitable for your vehicle, if it’s not, call it in to the office and let the planners deal with, it’s their job and this way it throws the ball in their court.
If it goes wrong and the load or vehicle is damaged, you get the blame for not ringing in.

Great to hear all went well!

Tarmaceater:
Never rush the job, if someone talks to you while coupling up to a trailer or dropping it, STOP what you were doing and start all over again, when they are talking about their boring day and boring life, this will distract you and is very dangerous, it could lead to a runaway trailer or yourself being crushed between the tractor unit and trailer.
I have known drivers and myself to ripping off all the Suzies or air and electric lines behind the unit .
While waiting around at RDC’s , you will always get the drivers that know it all and have been in the SAS and missed the Herald of free enterprise cross channel ferry by two minutes.
Avoid working on breaks or when the tacho mode switch is on bed mode to record a break, if you become faster doing this, the employer will exploit this and give you more work .
So you actually lose out and become fatigued very quickly resulting in burn out or a nervous breakdown .
If not sure of an address, get out the cab and walk down the lane to see if it’s suitable for your vehicle, if it’s not, call it in to the office and let the planners deal with, it’s their job and this way it throws the ball in their court.
If it goes wrong and the load or vehicle is damaged, you get the blame for not ringing in.

Great advice thanks mate… I’ve only done 4 nights and I feel I’ve learnt an encyclopedia of knowledge already lol… Very steep learning curve… I was making a delivery in Plymouth last night in a small courtyard and had to reverse into a little warehouse… Took 4 or 5 shunts to get it straight then got it in… The banksman said he’d seen a lot worse so that gives you a bit of reassurance I think. Trouble is sometimes I’m still over steering a bit and need to keep the truck dead slow but I’m learning all the time and feel like I’m living the dream lol

Oddly enough, when reversing, the day will come when you don’t have to think about it, the worse ones are backing up to a bay door/ramp and there is a steep slope reversing down to it, for example, you have lined up straight then the slope throws the angle of attack all over the place .
Pets at Home in Stoke on Trent is an example, but great staff canteen and drivers allowed to use it .

Tarmaceater:
Oddly enough, when reversing, the day will come when you don’t have to think about it, the worse ones are backing up to a bay door/ramp and there is a steep slope reversing down to it, for example, you have lined up straight then the slope throws the angle of attack all over the place .
Pets at Home in Stoke on Trent is an example, but great staff canteen and drivers allowed to use it .

I am praying for that day to come :smiley:
I think that slowly, bit by bit, baby steps, it’s coming along… Also I think it’s knowing what not to do is important… Learning by my mistakes.
But everywhere is different isn’t it? Every day is different I have found… One day it’s easy and the next it seems impossible.

With winter looming , here are some more pointers to contemplate over ;The scenario is gale force winds, it’s safe to drive when loaded , as the wind won’t blow your lorry over .
But when the trailer is empty , do you drive or park up until the wind has subsided ?
The trailer curtains act like a giant wind sail so it’s squeaky bottom time or change the Y fronts .

The boss says carry on , he needs you in so and so at this or that time, he then says their favourite driver Blue eyed Bruce has got down ok , it’s your call on road safety to protect other road users and save him a few grand for the recovery crane and tow truck and repairs to the damaged truck or even worse written off .
If you proceed when told, record the conversation on your phone or ask the instructions to be texted to you .

Then snow and ice, failed attempted deliveries and very long diversion routes and getting stuck in the ice and snow , I carry a spade and grit/salt with me , the firm should give you these items and bungee cord the bags down on the catwalks .

Making sure the night heater works even for a day run driver home every night, you could be on a unscheduled night out without the heater working without toiletries and spare clothing , a big sports bag with a pillow and sleeping bag will make the night more comfortable.
Nothing worse than sleeping in your uniform or clothes and not being able to wash the teeth or a towel for a shower in the morning.
Ideally the night heater should be switched on all year round , as they seize up when you really need it .