First job

I have to admit to being a little nervous taking on a first job and was wondering if any of you struggled or were eased into your new position. This is particularly a concern going for agency work where I may be placed with several different employers/ vehicles in a short period of time. I may just be over thinking things as I have a tendency to do but was looking to learn from all your experiences :slight_smile:

Your best best is just to be honest with everyone involved, tell the agencies you’re a new pass and they should try to send you to places that are more accommodating to new passes, when you get to the company, don’t be afraid to ask about anything you are unsure of.
Also don’t think that you have to start out with an agency, look for work directly with companies. If they take you on, they are making an investment in you, so it’s more likely they will take the time to make sure you are trained properly.
When I started, I went with an agency. I did 2 days with Tuffnells, working nights driving a Class 2 from Haydock up to Scotland and back. It was easy enough work looking back on it now, but back then I didn’t have a clue about anything.
After that I got lucky and was placed with a company for 6 months, alongside a lot of other agency drivers, most of whom were also relatively inexperienced, so we all got basic training if and when we needed it.
The most important thing is to ask if you are unsure about anything, there should always be someone who can help

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Best bit of advice I got on the first day of my first placement was “If you don’t know, ASK”. It stayed with me so now I always ask and if I feel 100% about the answer I ask again.

Once you’ve done that a few times you will feel more comfortable. If you get something wrong or forget something just explain that you’re new to it and most people will be happy to run through it with you.

Nearly everywhere I’ve worked since I have found that people will be happy to help you if they can.

Don’t over think it, just enjoy the ride [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m getting strange looks from some people for enquiring about work before I have a licence, but at the same time I get to find out about different kinds of haulage.

Some companies have been very accommodating, others more “talk to us when you have a licence”.

Don’t let it put you off! None of them have yet said “no”.

Trucker Jimbob:
I have to admit to being a little nervous taking on a first job and was wondering if any of you struggled or were eased into your new position. This is particularly a concern going for agency work where I may be placed with several different employers/ vehicles in a short period of time. I may just be over thinking things as I have a tendency to do but was looking to learn from all your experiences :slight_smile:

I don’t think an agency will place you at more than one employer. That’s not my experience. It’s just like starting work for the employer but you have the agency in the middle for admin.
So yes you get eased in like starting any new job.

stu675:

Trucker Jimbob:

I don’t think an agency will place you at more than one employer. That’s not my experience. It’s just like starting work for the employer but you have the agency in the middle for admin.
So yes you get eased in like starting any new job.

An agency will place you wherever they have gaps that need filling. Some agencies only work with a small number of clients, increasing the liklihood of being placed with the same client on a regular basis, but this is by no means guaranteed.
If you’re lucky, you can get placed on a longterm assignment with one client. Sometimes you might work for one company one week, a different one the next.
Plenty of agencies however will only be able to find work at short notice, usually covering sickness or holidays, so you might only be needed by a company for a day or two, once you’re no longer required then it’s off to the next job.
My personal record was 4 different companies in a 5 day working week, did this a fair few times

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk