Which CPC?

I’ve not yet taken any theory or practical training but am a bit confused about the new drivers CPC. I’m 48 and passed my car test before 1997. Does this mean I have to do the 35 hrs CPC or the Mod 2 & 4 or all of it?

Some sites say I must do the 35 hrs due to grandfather rights and I believe this site says I have a choice of 35 hrs or mod 2&4…

Any clarification would be very welcome! :confused: :smiley:

Hi, You are correct, you can do either the 35 hours or Mod 2 & 4. There are pros and cons for both.

Mod 2 & 4 is quicker to do, as less time for each part and marginally cheaper, but it can be difficult getting on a mod 4 depending on availability. They are also both pass or fail (although I doubt anyone fails the mod 4 really) and I have known a few people fail the mod 2 test.

The Periodic DCPC (35 hours), takes longer and in some instances is slightly more expensive. There is no pass or fail and the availability will be greater. Also, if you haven’t driven for a lot of years then I would recommend this as you can obtain a lot of knowledge about the industry and the regulations from the correct trainer…

HTH
R2R

Check out my reply to you in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151768&p=2410813#p2410813

=======================================
This post smacks of veiled advertising so I’ve removed it.

tachograph

Road2ruin:
Hi, You are correct, you can do either the 35 hours or Mod 2 & 4. There are pros and cons for both.

Mod 2 & 4 is quicker to do, as less time for each part and marginally cheaper, but it can be difficult getting on a mod 4 depending on availability. They are also both pass or fail (although I doubt anyone fails the mod 4 really) and I have known a few people fail the mod 2 test.

The Periodic DCPC (35 hours), takes longer and in some instances is slightly more expensive. There is no pass or fail and the availability will be greater. Also, if you haven’t driven for a lot of years then I would recommend this as you can obtain a lot of knowledge about the industry and the regulations from the correct trainer…

HTH
R2R

Thanks that’s really helpful. I was thinking of the 35 hours so will pursue that way. :smiley:

it can be difficult getting on a mod 4

Just for the record, we have our own Mod 4 examiner on staff (soon to be joined by another) so we have no issues with availability and can normally organise a Mod 4 within 24 hours. We can also test candidates from other trainers rather than wait for the DVSA test centre.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: