Night Time Hours

I have an offer to start working nights in march and I’m totally confused about the legal side of hours etc…Some drivers I’ve spoke to say that you can work 15hrs then others say you can do 5 12hr shifts and others say I can’t work more than 10 hours a night■■? The shifts so I’m told will be 4 X 12hr shifts 18:00-06:00 when option to working Friday as optional can anyone please clarify just for peace of mind? I’m so confused! Thanks in advance

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you work between 00.00hrs and 04.00 hours your night worker and can’t work more than 10hr shifts, unless a workforce opt-out agreement is in place

Thanks yes if i agree I’ve been asked to sign an agreement to allow the 4 12hr shifts but some night drivers have worked over til 8am so 14 hours before now and most work a 5th night shift? That’s what’s throwing me off balance

You can work a maximum of 15 hour shift no more than 3 times a week (9hr daily rest). You can work 5th shift but can’t exceed 60 hrs a week total working time.

slapstick:
You can work a maximum of 15 hour shift no more than 3 times a week (9hr daily rest). You can work 5th shift but can’t exceed 60 hrs a week total working time.

Oh right so the 15hr working rule applies to nights aswell? So many drivers I work with have mixed views haha

wilko77fc:

slapstick:

Oh right so the 15hr working rule applies to nights aswell? So many drivers I work with have mixed views haha

As long as night work opt-out is in place then yes.

slapstick:
If you work between 00.00hrs and 04.00 hours your night worker and can’t work more than 10hr shifts, unless a workforce opt-out agreement is in place

Not quite correct - without an opt out in place then the max is 10 hours WORKING TIME in a shift

That means a driver could do this every night for 5 nights in a week in each shift -
Drive 8 hours
Other work 2 hours
Break/POA 3 hours

ROG:

slapstick:

Not quite correct - without an opt out in place then the max is 10 hours WORKING TIME in a shift

That means a driver could do this every night for 5 nights in a week in each shift -
Drive 8 hours
Other work 2 hours
Break/POA 3 hours

Ahh that makes sense…But with an agreement in place drivers can work max 15hrs up to 3x etc?

wilko77fc:

ROG:

slapstick:

Drive 8 hours
Other work 2 hours
Break/POA 3 hours

Ahh that makes sense…But with an agreement in place drivers can work max 15hrs up to 3x etc?

The agreement in place would mean this
Drive 9 hours
Other work 3 hours
Break/POA 1 hour

ROG:

slapstick:

Not quite correct - without an opt out agreement in place the maximum working time is 10 hours over a period of 24 hours, it’s an actual period of 24 hours that is not reset by the daily rest period.

wilko77fc:
But with an agreement in place drivers can work max 15hrs up to 3x etc?

Yes, with an opt out agreement in place the maximum working time is the same as for a day worker.

wilko77fc:

slapstick:

Working over 13h is a reduced rest and you can only do 3 a week so be careful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:

Max 3 between weekly rests

ROG:

JaxDemon:

Max 3 between weekly rests

And that as well lol.

My new job will be pushing me to that easily [LOUDLY CRYING FACE][LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

OP, if you’re worried about working long shifts of unknown length, I’m not sure this game is for you!
You could do 84 duty hours in a week, day or night. 3 x 13 hours, and 3 x 15 hours.
(And by duty hours I mean at work, but not necessarily working…)

Evil8Beezle:
OP, if you’re worried about working long shifts of unknown length, I’m not sure this game is for you!
You could do 84 duty hours in a week, day or night. 3 x 13 hours, and 3 x 15 hours.
(And by duty hours I mean at work, but not necessarily working…)

Scary ain’t it.

Check your inbox btw could have sworn I sent you a message weeks ago.

A read of this might help

A copy of the drivers hours so if in doubt print of

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles