WTD question - nights

I have looked through the information in the forum - including Lucy’s very detailed explanation of the rules but I haven’t seen anything that answers a query I have.

If I’ve missed it I apologise. :blush:

However - somebody I know whose workplace doesn’t have a collective agreement in place to extend the ten hour night-worker rule, occasionally works in the period 0000-0400.

My question is this - once you have worked in the 0000-0400 window, are you bound by the ten hour work limit for the duration of the 17 / 26 week reference period, or does the ten hour limit only apply to the days on which work is carried out between 0000 and 0400 :question:

Only for the day in question.

I had to ask the same question last week

Cheers mate! :smiley:

From the regulations, which can be found HERE

• (1) The working time of a mobile worker, who performs night work in any period of 24 hours, shall not exceed 10 hours during that period.

Note the words during that period which means it only applies to that 24 hour period therefore on days when you don’t work between 00:00 and 04:00 you are not bound by the 10 hour work limit.

Great stuff Neil, cheers for the link. :smiley:

Also, night time work is ANY 4 hours worked between the hours of 00:00 and 07:00 :wink:

PaulJC79:
Also, night time work is ANY 4 hours worked between the hours of 00:00 and 07:00 :wink:

Wrong. Night work means any work performed during night time and night time for goods vehicles is the period between midnight and 04:00. If any of your shift falls within that period, even just a minute or two, you are deemed to be working at night and the restrictions apply unless an opt out agreement is in place.

PaulJC79:

Hi PaulJC79, according to the Regs, the definition of “night time” is:

Reg. 2:
“night time” means in respect of goods vehicles the period between midnight and 4 a.m. and in respect of passenger vehicles the period between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m;

Even allowing for the difference between goods and passenger vehicles, how is your “00:00 and 07:00” counted as “night.” :question: