Enlighten Me Someone Please!

:unamused: No comments about needing the Hare-Krishna`s either…No offence too anyone :wink:

:blush: Been off the site for a while, realise ive missed it too, anyway this ones got Rog written all over it :wink:

:confused: Augusts T&D letters page has me confused. ( I know that`s not difficult to do ) :unamused:

Anyway…
A contributors letter stated that even if a workforce / company had a 10 hour agreement in place, ie, drivers could work more than
10 hours on night shift, that it was still illegal to work more than 12 hours under EU tacho rules and regs on a night shift !

Where is this ruling to be found please ? Ive asked one of our Driver Trainers but he says its a load of [zb] !
Ive tried searching through old posts etc but can`t find the right answer.
Any help appreciated :sunglasses:

sharky the shredder:
Where is this ruling to be found please ?

Nowhere, the guy who wrote that letter is more than a little confused. That’s me trying to hold back and not call him an idiot, how did I do?. :wink:

With or without a night time working limit opt out in place it is still legally possible to do a 15 hour shift, under either the WTD or EU Regulations, given enough breaks and or POA. There are no night limits contained in the EU regs, in fact ether are no maximum shift lengths defined anywhere in the regulations. You must have 11 hours rest in 24, which can be reduced to 9 hours three times between weekly rest periods, regardless of whether you work nights or days.

He also writes some nonsense about compensation being required at the start of the next shift, which also shows his confusion. I think here he is referring to the fact that with no opt out in place you are limited to 10 hours work in 24 hours and if you do a shift from say 21:00 - 09:00 with 10 hours work although the tacho rules would allow you to resume at 18:00 with 9 hours rest, or 20:00 with 11, the WTD would prevent you resuming before 21:00. If you did start before 21:00 you would be working more than 10 hours in the 24 hour period from 21:00 - 21:00.

I’m surprised T&D published that letter containing so much BS without comment or correction. I wish that letter writer was a member on here, it would be like a lamb to the slaughter. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I thought it was funny he is complaining he was sacked from one job for trying to get a non existent regulation in place, I bet they couldn’t get him out of the door quick enough.

sharky the shredder:
this one`s got Rog written all over it

Hmmm… all I can say is that I hope T&D spot the reply by coffeeholic and publish it

Just to add I haven’t actually seen the letter as I don’t read T&D but Delboytwo and I had a discussion about this over the weekend and he typed the letter out as a PM for me to read so I am only going on that version, but I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of Del’s PM.

I worked at a festival, job involved driving on private roads no road network so no tacho.I was asked to start at 9.oo and finish at midnight Fri,Sat,Sun.and possibly half shift on Mon.I offered to do split or half shifts each day as I regarded that amount of driving to be unsafe.Dont know what the other drivers did.

alamcculloch:
job involved driving on private roads no road network so no tacho.I was asked to start at 9.oo and finish at midnight Fri,Sat,Sun.and possibly half shift on Mon.I offered to do split or half shifts each day as I regarded that amount of driving to be unsafe

If too tired to drive safely in any circumstances then that should take priority - that might be covered under the H&S rules on operating machinery but I’m no expert on that.

I found this from the regs which may or may not be relevant…

FROM THE REGS
:
Even a short period of driving under EU rules during any day by a driver will mean that he is in scope of the EU rules for the whole of that day and must comply with the daily driving, break and rest requirements; he will also have to comply with the weekly rest requirement and driving limit.

alamcculloch:
I worked at a festival, job involved driving on private roads no road network so no tacho.I was asked to start at 9.oo and finish at midnight Fri,Sat,Sun.and possibly half shift on Mon.I offered to do split or half shifts each day as I regarded that amount of driving to be unsafe.Dont know what the other drivers did.

Even under tacho regs that would have been legal, 3 reduced daily rest periods of 9 hours each and I doubt you would get anywhere near the 9 or 10 hour daily driving limit while only driving on site. Plenty of non driving time in that while vehicles are being loaded plus some meal breaks/coffee breaks. Sounds like a nice easy job with good earning potential.

:sunglasses: Cheers Rog and Coffee, knew i`d get the right info from you guys :sunglasses:

:open_mouth: Just as I thought then…complete [zb] didn`t think it was right, but hey, it was printed so I naturally assumed someone in the
know had checked on the content before it went to press :open_mouth: