Night shift hours query

Excuse my ignorance as I’ve never paid any attention to these new night shift hours having only done day work in the past but is it true that you can only work - in total - 10hrs per night shift? Or is it an average 10hrs per night, ie. a limit of so many hours per week or what?

Having just completed a night shift totalling nearly 15hrs it’s just dawned on me all might not be well :confused: .

Can someone explain please and tell me if there’s a way of “opting out” or getting round it? I’m doing occasional agency work on days and nights when it suits me and usually for different companies.

Ah, answered my own question. Agency has told me they’ve opted out and they did inform me of this before I started so looks like I wasn’t paying attention again :unamused: .

:slight_smile:

tu tut tut stay behind after class robert… :laughing:

Rob

There is no opt out. At all NOWT ZIPPO NOTHING.

Your being fobbed off.

Its you licence.

Tony b

I thought that if everyone agrees and signs then you can opt out?

Can someone confirm please?

There is a night shift opt out if there is a workplace agreement TonyB

You can opt out of the 10 hour agreement through a colletive vote.
But then it can only be extended to 12 hours max.

This wtd is like everything else.Were only told half of the story then we here bits from here and there,then we don’t know whats right from wrong.

As far as i know its 12 hours max. We never start before 4am because of the hassle.

Tony b

Have a read in here, it’ll answer all your questions on the WTD.

If there is an agreement to opt out in place it doesn’t just extend it to 12 hours, you can work within the normal constraints of the tacho rules.

Also remember that the 10 hours is only working time, breaks and POA’s don’t count toward the 10 hours, so you could do a pretty full shift anyway.

tonyb…:
This wtd is like everything else.Were only told half of the story then we here bits from here and there,then we don’t know whats right from wrong.

Don’t listen to half the story or bits from here there and everywhere. Get the full picture for yourself here, straight from the horses mouth.

Rob K:
they did inform me of this before I started so looks like I wasn’t paying attention again :unamused: .

:slight_smile:

Spend less time quandering silly stuff and more attention on washing down truck’s and suzie’s

:laughing: :laughing:

And to answer the question …
Yes a work force can opt out of 10hrs and follow the normal rules that apply to day shift worker’s …
:wink:

As a night shift worker i can assure you that as long as a collective workforce agreement is in place you can do more than 10 working hours, the most you can probably do legally is 14h 15m in a shift ( its possible do your sums)…

You can also opt back in on an individual basis i think the longest period of notice your employer can insist on is 3 months.

As for the 12 hours myth have you tried CD,S in the windscreen?.:wink:;););):):):):)…

You can opt out of the 10 hr rule for night work if there is a collective agreement or if you are employed specifically to do one particular job, then you can opt out on an individual basis. I guess that if you are working through an Agency then by definition you are emplyed to do a specific job.

:slight_smile: But if you’re self employed you’re exempt anyway, aren’t you ? :slight_smile: