Teenage Truckers

Hi all!

Been lurking on the forums for a while now. Happy to announce that I passed my Class 1 today with Scania in Newbridge, first time pass with only 1 minor. Big thanks to Rob and Billy, both fantastic quality instructors!

Just a callout to see if there’s any fellow “teenage” truckers on the forums. Being the ripe old age of 18 (19 by the end of the month :stuck_out_tongue: ), I understand that getting my first job isn’t going to be plain sailing, and I’d appreciate the input from someone who’s been in a similar position. Any advice at all from everyone of all ages would also be appreciated, I might have passed the test but I’ve still plenty to learn!

(And a side note:- I know there’s plenty of folks on here who’ll bash me for getting my license at a young age. I respect your opinion, but in the end of the day, I’m a C+E license holder now. I’ve proven myself to be a competent driver capable of handling a HGV with the care and concentration it requires in order to operate it safely. I know I’ve many, many more miles ahead of me before I can even start considering to call myself an experienced driver, but I’ve definitely set my benchmark to start from. )

Congrats pal! :smiley:

You could try PM’ing Ash001, as he’s only a sprat himself… :wink:

Here are his training Blogs:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126880
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129042

I passed mine in my early 20’s (class 2) and got myself a job at the time, wasent the best of jobs but it was ok. I’m now nearly 30 and I’ve done my class one but didn’t find it too hard getting work near me (reading area). On a side note I was at the yard yesterday and saw a downton lorry being driven by someone who looked like they were 18, I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure I had socks older then him. Anyway I understand they pay rubbish but I do know they give newer drivers a shot

That’s impressive that. Well done mate.

Congratulations, it’s good that you already know what your obstacle will be! But keep chipping away at the companies and someone will look past your age’ unfortunately some insurers insist on certain ages…

I’d probably try the smaller family run firms myself, plenty of info on here for future reference!

Now crack on drive :sunglasses:

qwertyqatar:
Hi all!

Been lurking on the forums for a while now. Happy to announce that I passed my Class 1 today with Scania in Newbridge, first time pass with only 1 minor. Big thanks to Rob and Billy, both fantastic quality instructors!

Just a callout to see if there’s any fellow “teenage” truckers on the forums. Being the ripe old age of 18 (19 by the end of the month [emoji14] ), I understand that getting my first job isn’t going to be plain sailing, and I’d appreciate the input from someone who’s been in a similar position. Any advice at all from everyone of all ages would also be appreciated, I might have passed the test but I’ve still plenty to learn!

(And a side note:- I know there’s plenty of folks on here who’ll bash me for getting my license at a young age. I respect your opinion, but in the end of the day, I’m a C+E license holder now. I’ve proven myself to be a competent driver capable of handling a HGV with the care and concentration it requires in order to operate it safely. I know I’ve many, many more miles ahead of me before I can even start considering to call myself an experienced driver, but I’ve definitely set my benchmark to start from. )

How come you went streight to Class 1? I’ve seen a lot of people on here say do Class 2 for experience then go for your Class 1.

Well done on the pass, takes some balls at that age!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I’m glad to hear the positive attitude. I’m in the Edinburgh area and I made a list a while back of about 50 odd different firms within ‘commutable distance’. Just updating the CV just now and then I’ll be on the phone like mad. :smiley:

peacejudah:
How come you went streight to Class 1? I’ve seen a lot of people on here say do Class 2 for experience then go for your Class 1.

I did do my Class 2 back in December but didn’t think about announcing it at the time. I’ve a couple of mates down south who are 19 and 20 respectively, both of whom did their class 2, class 1 and then went straight into class 1 work. (Well, Seven Lincs stuck one of them on a rigid for a while to see how he’d get on but he’s in an artic now.)

I’m not so fussed whether my first job is class 1 or class 2 really. I just happened to have the funds to pay for both so I did them in a oner, gives me an extra bargaining chip for class 2 work. :stuck_out_tongue:

peacejudah:

qwertyqatar:
Hi all!

Just a callout to see if there’s any fellow “teenage” truckers on the forums. Being the ripe old age of 18 (19 by the end of the month [emoji14] ), I understand that getting my first job isn’t going to be plain sailing, and I’d appreciate the input from someone who’s been in a similar position. Any advice at all from everyone of all ages would also be appreciated, I might have passed the test but I’ve still plenty to learn!

Why not go straight to class 1 work…After all thats what the majority of us older generation drivers done…But then again there was no need to do the class 2 licence 1st…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
Why not go straight to class 1 work…After all thats what the majority of us older generation drivers done…But then again there was no need to do the class 2 licence 1st…

I think that point leads into the debate of whether some class 2 experience makes passing the Class 1 easier or not…
My thinking is yes it does help, but everyone’s opinion is based on what did or didn’t work for them, so rife with bias!
(Myself included)

qwertyqatar:

I’d try and put the feeling of needing to prove yourself due to your age out of your head if you can mate. An older driver is probably first thinking "Bugger I must be getting old! :laughing: " before they are thinking “Oh crap, I bet he can’t drive”. The truth is a real driver will be judged on their performance and ability (which can’t be hidden), not their age…

You get old screwdrivers as well basically! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

daftvader:

I think that point leads into the debate of whether some class 2 experience makes passing the Class 1 easier or not…
My thinking is yes it does help, but everyone’s opinion is based on what did or didn’t work for them, so rife with bias!
(Myself included)

That may well be the case…As i did fail on the 1st attempt…But as i said getting class one automatically gave you class 2 anyway…And class 1 is where i wanted to be from the start…But if i had to do it now i would still go straight too class 1 given the chance…

Evil8Beezle:

daftvader:

(Myself included)

Yeah you are right, I guess I’ve seen people say go on Class 2 for a year or so and get experience first. But I suppose it’s down to the driver!

I’ve also seen people say that Class 1 is a much more rewarding and enjoyable job than Class 2, am I right?

peacejudah:

Evil8Beezle:

daftvader:

(Myself included)

Yeah you are right, I guess I’ve seen people say go on Class 2 for a year or so and get experience first. But I suppose it’s down to the driver!

I’ve also seen people say that Class 1 is a much more rewarding and enjoyable job than Class 2, am I right?

I just think you’ll find class 1 work is normally easier…As in not so many drops and pickups…

And the fewer drops makes the work generally feel less stressed or needing to rush.
A lot of class 2 is get there ASAP all day, where class 1 can have booking slots, so no need to rush at times…
And you’ll probably have to wait when you get there anyway! :laughing:

Well done young man [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Well done, the Hungarian Waberers firm sends 18 year old artic drivers all over Europe and TIR countries .
You can imagine getting the interview, come in next day with night out kit.
Pick up the wagon, leave Budapest for Portugal, reload Madrid for Stockholm .
Come home for Christmas .

Well done on the pass if your interested/keen and reliable enough then I don’t see too many issues. Best bet i’d say would be a smaller firm who may take a chance on a young driver, in a train you up/out with an experienced driver to make sure you’ll be good to go type thing.

Other ad hoc type work may be difficult as most companies won’t want to pay a premium.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Well done!

Agree with the others, smaller firms might be your best bet. The youngest we ever took on was 23. We did try and take a 21 year old once, but he stropped because sometimes my lads - sit down, it gets bad - have to drive a van. Shocking :unamused: . The bit that impressed me about the 21 year old, was that he wanted to be a driver, he put himself through, it wasn’t a case of not being able to think of anything else to do.

The 23 year old and his mate who was 24, both went straight to Class 1 with us. I don’t see any need to do Class 2, though if that is what you get, it’s a good stepping stone.

Usual advice of actually knocking on doors, looking smart and having kit in the boot of your car, still works - you never know when a lucky break may come your way.

Best of luck with the job hunting.

Well done you now go for it don’t just sit on internet & send off the CV go out & look

I went straight for Class 1 only drove class 2 fro a few weeks covering for someone

I have driven everything from a van up as I started on van work

Next thing would if not already got is a good road map with bridge hight a decent electronic map ( sat nav to you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) I have a car 1 which I use but can read the road signs