New driver hello

Hi everyone

I’ve followed the forums with interest for the past few weeks as my class1 test was due this afternoon, after hearing so many test horror stories both online and otherwise and having a terrible nights sleep last night I passed first time with 7 minors :smiley: i hope I never take another test again as long as i live.

I’m a lone parent of two teen girls, I had never driven anything larger than my car in 20 years until November 2005 when I took a weeks class2 tuition with C&G Services, Stonehouse. (whom i’d highly recommend) and passed with 2 minors. A couple of weeks work experience on cement mixers, followed by a few days riding shotgun in articulated tippers is all the experience i have…fingers crossed someone will give me an opportunity…

anyway, i hope that gives any wannabes a little confidence that it can be done. everyone seems friendly and i know this is just the start, so much to learn, so I hope you all won’t mind me asking a few questions over the coming weeks n months.

all the best
Scott
(Scud)

Welcome to TruckNet and congratulations on your pass. :smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations on your pass Scott :smiley:

I’m just about to commence my LGV training & like you, start to panic when I read some of the horror stories on here .
I was reading all about the nightmare that is reversing til 3am last night :open_mouth:

Cheers mate, You’ve inspired me!

Keep us posted on the forum & let us know how you get on finding work, how it goes on your first day driving an artic etc.

All the best mate
Mark

congratulations on your pass … these lead boots of mine that i had could have made me a rich man, no doubt you are on cloud 9 and above

Well done Scott. Spot on nice to hear a sucess story. Mind if you can handle two teenage daughters on your own you can handle anything! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi again

thanks so much for the kind comments and the welcome. it’s great being on cloud 9 for a change, my youngest even had my tea cooked when i’d got home :open_mouth: i’m sure the job will soon bring me back to earth with a bump , but, optimism is the name of the game for now.

…and Mark, don’t have any worries about the reverse mate, easy to say i know, it was my major concern too, yet my reverse on test was probably the best one i’d done all week. If i may offer advice it would be to just keep it real slow and keep your steering movement to an absolute minimum, i was amazed just how fine the input has to be on the wheel. i hope your training goes well, enjoy it, it’s a great experience, one which i wish i had done years ago.

keep us posted

regards
Scott

hi scudmonkey
well done on the test m8 :laughing:

Hi scott welcome to TruckNet UK and
congratulations on your pass. Good
luck finding work :smiley:

Hi scudmonkey and welcome to Trucknet. :laughing:

It is such a breath of fresh air to read such a positive attitude and an optimistic success story. :wink: We can offer advice and support but the real help comes from people like yourself who still have the pressure fresh in their minds and can provide reasurance to others in the same boat. I hope you find work that suits you and your family and I look forward to reading about your exploits. :wink: :smiley:

Welcome to Trucknet and well done with the Pass. :laughing: :laughing:

scudmonkey:
…and Mark, don’t have any worries about the reverse mate, easy to say i know, it was my major concern too, yet my reverse on test was probably the best one i’d done all week. If i may offer advice it would be to just keep it real slow and keep your steering movement to an absolute minimum, i was amazed just how fine the input has to be on the wheel. i hope your training goes well, enjoy it, it’s a great experience, one which i wish i had done years ago.

Seems like good advice, and well done on passing your test.