Pay by the Hr/ Nights out

smudge837:
Hi all.
I’m just trying to clear this up in my head.

If a person is paid by the hour and their run involves stopping out over night, would you expect to be paid the full amount of hours you are out or just while the wheels are turning? I am aware of the £24 ish night out money but i was under the impression this is a tax pay as opposed to the employer being a good egg.

for example if i was on £10phr and did a straight 48 hr away from the yard run, would that amount to £480 plus the 2 x £24 for night out? Or just the 2 x 9hr driving time. (or what ever you drive with reduced rest and all that.)

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers Smudge

You get paid for all the time you’re working, lets say you start work at 08:00 and park up at 18:00, you’ve been working for 10 hours and that’s what you will be paid for, some companies will stop 45 minute break out of that in which case you would be paid for 9¼ hours, it doesn’t matter whether you park up at base/home or 500 miles from base/home.

Basically when on a night out you get paid exactly the same as when on day runs except that you also get the night out money.

It would be nice if drivers got paid for every hour they’re away from home but it’s not going to happen any-time soon :smiley: