night out money

can anyone what is the legla amount an employer can pay a driver for nights out before they have to pay tax.as my curreny employer say that is £22.39 a night that is the max he will pay us.plus if we pay for parking it will be reduced to £18.00 plus parking fee but he will no pay the extra for the foods vouchers u get with some tickets even if its 2 pound extra and u get a 7.00 voucher onthe motorwau services.so now i avoid parking up at all on services or lorry parks if i can.

i get £24.75. + £2 meal a day. also pays parking on top. though if you have the voucher its deducted, ie the difference between meal and just parking.so could be £2 if £17 without and £19 with meal.

Was on £30 a night with my old job, plus they preferred us to park up somewhere secure and we were always reimbursed for it. No wonder they went bust :laughing: :laughing:

Shame really, cos that was my first tramping job, and I thought those rates were the norm…seems this aint the case :cry:

Paul.

p.s. thunder367 to (half) answer your question, my night out money and expenses were all in next weeks pay slip under the heading ‘tax free expenses’ :sunglasses:

Paul.

thunder,

i believe that you dont get taxed on your overnight money as it is an allowance not a taxable earning. (forgive me if i am wrong)

in the navy we get a few allowances and they always show after the tax has been taken so we dont pay any and there is no employer in britain more tight than the british government.

you dont pay tax and neither does your employer.

why he wont give you pay for parking and a full overnight allowance i dont know.

can anyone what is the legla amount an employer can pay a driver for nights out

The amount that is non taxable is decided by your companies area taxman.

rha.net/adviceandinfo/subsis … r-drivers/ explains most of it :wink:

:sunglasses: EDITED FOR CONFIDENTIALITY REASONS*, they prefer us to park in secure areas, just wish the so-called secure areas were:-

a) More Secure, b) Clean and Up to The task, ie, CLEAN and Working Showers, preferable more than one ( Norton Canes/Roadchef on the M6 Toll is a good example ) and last but by no means least , c) have reasonable priced food, Roadchef…a chicken salad and glass of orange juice is NOT reasonable value at £ 9.34 :smiling_imp:

We pay £20.00 but that is taxable so i think it works out about 18.87 or round about.

Here’s some other bits about it from the HMRC manual. (CLICKY)

liz, whats the reason for taxing it?

Last year it was £21.46 before it was taxable… Anything paid over that is taxable unless there is a local agreement with the tax man or additional payments only reimburse the actual expenditure incurred and receipts are kept. Maybe £22.39 is the new maximum for 08?

We have paid £23.00 for the last 2 years and taxman has been OK with that as a tax free payment.

I believe that the tax man allows up to 22.50 but the average actually paid is 20.
thats because years ago before sleeper cabs, companies gave us enough night out money for our Digs, Plus Dinner, and Breakfast…we always had money for fish and chips and a few beers, and all that for 1.25 (sorry lost my pound sign)
So when sleeper cabs came along. bosses decided that this little box was good enough to reduce the night out money.
Now if you look at the travelling salesman, hes doing a similar job, only with a suit on…but his boss gives him enough money to stay in a hotel…so why do we allow bosses to treat us like dirt…the idea of night out money is to give us the comforts that we are liable to miss from home, whilst being away from it, plusenough for food and a breakfast…so why are the practices of years ago still being implemented, and worst of all, why are we putting up with it. Possibly for the simple reason, drivers have been for years, using that night out money, to supplement their wages, so when a tramper tells you he takes home 400 pounds a week, you know that 100 of that is not wage related as such.

Used to get £15.00 cash in hand for a night out back in 1986, can’t make out what has gone so wrong since then. If you added the inflation on top of £15.00 then, what should that be now ?

We get £20.66 + £3.22 P.I.E whatever that stands for? totalling £23.88

I believe the guys that do Euro get £30

From what i see most Travel Lodges etc. are now in the region of £50, breakfast about £7, dinner, maybe a tenner.
So that’s £67 then!

The tax free expenses as agreed between the RHA and the Inland revenue are

sleeper cab rate £22.39
meal allowance £2.00
Incidental overnight expenses £5 UK. or £10.00 continental rate.

However your employer can agree a rate higher than this if he arranged it with his local inland revenue office.
It could be a higher rate if for example you are on flatbed work, ropeing and sheeting. therefore you may need extra showers, or maybe need to clean your bedding more often. as long as he puts a good case forward there should be no problem.

truckyboy:
Now if you look at the travelling salesman, hes doing a similar job, only with a suit on…but his boss gives him enough money to stay in a hotel…

i know what your saying but how many of these are driving around with a bed behind the drivers seat and enough storage for a week away?

DAFMAD:
Used to get £15.00 cash in hand for a night out back in 1986, can’t make out what has gone so wrong since then. If you added the inflation on top of £15.00 then, what should that be now ?

£2.99 :laughing:

I got 35 per night, splittet in taxable and untaxable part (22.39 is untaxable) but I have this paid in advance 35 to hand, so I guess my tax is taken from my salary.

I have parkings paid as well and all other expences as private mobile use for company purposes (when company phone was broken) and when I paid for parking with meal voucher I proposed them, that it will be for dartford crossing, as I haven’t a receipt for that, but they seems don’t care.

Anyway I don’t like this motorways areas as there is too noisy. I prefere to find some quiet place like some lay-by on small road or industrial estate with some food in honest price nearby. I am going for MSA only for shower :wink:

know what your saying but how many of these are driving around with a bed behind the drivers seat and enough storage for a week away?

and how many of them act as unpaid security guards?

I don’t do nights out so maybe I don’t have the right to comment.

In the event of unforseen circumstances and I have to do a night out (breakdown etc) my boss has instructed me to book into a travelodge or similar if on motorway , or if in town use a reasonable(not Hilton etc) hotel and claim full amount back. Payment can be made to the hotel by using company credit card so no actual outlay for me.
I know its been repeated many times , but the truck driver really is his own worst enemy.
Apart from the armed forces who else sleeps at their workplace?

Sleeper cabs may be a terrific improvement on the digs of yesterday but they are at best a poor substitute for a proper bed, but as has been posted above…many drivers accept expenses as part of their wages.